Computers 1st July: Illegal for Swedes to download!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Teddz, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

This has been a huge discussion in Sweden, where the non-goverment agency, known as Antipiracy bureau have charged computer users for downloading "warez" online.

These users have been charged with heavy fees and sometimes jailtime.

And from today, the prices on Mp3 players have been raised, and not to mention the new law.

If you download licensed material online, you will sentenced to heavy fees and even jailtime. I think 2-3 years are max.

So, yeah, sticky situation. Share your thoughts on this issue!

- Teddz

2. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

It's been illegal over here in the US for a while now, doesn't seem to stop people.

It would be nice to live in Canada.

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I think it's illegal here in Canada as well.

Anyway, it doesn't stop you from downloading unlicensed material, does it? :)

4. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

i bet in sweden it does cause sweden is so small and has a smaller population and its ezier to keep track of the ppl tat use the downloader like in the usa almost everyone uses one so the police probaly are 2 lazy to go and stop us

5. Dr. Nick Rivera

I'm pretty sure that the Canadian government deemed it legal to share files all peer to peer and such.

I remember that from a while ago, and me and everyone I know from the US thought to themselves "Damn, Canada has it all! Legal downloads and Rush!".

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

That's blowing out of proportion a single case where the judge ruled in favour of the p2p user based on the circumstances and individual case.

The Canadian Copyright Act states that distributing or communicating music files is illegal.

Indepth look

I remember seeing a large Swedish-based torrent portal called "The Pirate Bay". It was openly toting around how there were no laws in Sweden against what they were doing. They even had a complete section where they showed legal representative's mail to them threatening legal action, and their (often rude) responses. I believe as of July 1st they've shut down.

7. Teddz

Actually no. The pirate bay are still going strong and they are saying that despite the new laws are active, they will still continue because it's "harmless".

The swedish goverment aren't going to put that much resources on pirating warez when there are much more problems in the society.

But I don't know.

- Teddz

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

My mistake, then. I didn't give it much research, I thought that you Canadians were luckier than than the rest of the world.

:p

9. Teddz

It's funny, on a recent poll on the swedish newspaper site, aftonbladet, 70% will still download "warez" online.

No fear for the law I guess :)

- Teddz