97 Episodes?

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Fudge_Monkeys, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

Well i was bored today and i was just reading up on kenshin on wikipedia and i saw this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rurouni_Kenshin

2. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

Well, if they're are 97 shows to it and not 95....then where's the two shows? :confused:

I watched the series until the ones with Shishio and stopped because the show wouldn't come on and I missed it T_T. I heard of the other ones after that though.

I only read about it somewhere but they didn't really follow the manga at all from what I found out. What was up with that :mad:?

3. Fudge_Monkeys

Oh... yea the producers kind of flowed away from the manga...... but ova covers parts of the remaining manga sorta.

4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I've seen them both, and the fans have lost nothing from their omission. They were those wonderful re-cap specials, where footage from older shows were brough together.

To be honest, the "best fights" one was entertaining, as it showed off all the main fights Kenshin had from Jine thru Saito. But you still missed nothing much.

The other lost episode focused on showing off all of Kenshin's Hiten Mitsurugi techniques.

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Yeah, in the end you dont lost much.... actually you dont lose anything at all from those two episodes. They're just there for entertain they have nothing to do with the main plot.

As for the manga and the anime being different, my understanding is that Watsuki hadnt finished the manga while they were making the anime and made some 30 "filler" type episodes but never really got to the Jinchuu Arc.

Most likely, Rurouni Kenshin caught on big at its release early in 95 and it was immediatly put into production as an anime. As the manga was written they we're surging ahead with the anime which came to a dead end at the end of the Kyoto Arc. More than likely, they put together some 30 filler episodes while Watsuki finished the manga, and by then the appeal had begun to die, and the final Arc was never produced.

as an off note the arc with Amakusa Shogo is a play on the Shimabara Uprising which was lead by a man named Amakusa Shiro, also called, Masuda Tokisada, who took the Christian name Jerome. He led 23,000 peasents against the new Daimyo, Matsukura Shigeharu. The main reason for this revolt was the heavy tax burden placed upon them but as well, most of the peasents were Christians from the Jesuit Missionaries in the area following the rule of Konishi Yukinaga, a Christian Daimyo. The rebellion lasted almost a year until they were defeated at Hara Castle on April 15, 1638. The shogunate beheaded 37,000 Christians including Amakusa Shiro. Suspecting that the Missonary Catholics had started the rebellion the Dutch were driven out of Japan, and the already tight ban on Christianity was tightened again forcing Christianity to go underground. This would be the last major war in Japan until the Bakumatsu in 1864.

6. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

And you know this how? :p

7. Chane

Chane Audience of One

I don't think I can name a single anime series that I've seen in which that didn't occur.

8. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

It was after the Kyoto part of the story. After Kenshin defeated Shishio and they went back, it just like went away from the manga some that just messed up the thing. They should have at least waited until he was done :mad:

9. Chane

Chane Audience of One

I know, I know too well. They left out my favorite character in the main series. I'm just telling you there's a good percentage of anime series that stray from the manga, like Hellsing, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

10. Fudge_Monkeys

well cowboy bebop turned out good except the ending =( i wamt to know what happens =)

11. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Personally I thought the ending of the anime was superb, but that's just my opinion... we don't have enough series that have good solid and emotional endings like that.

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Because I still have them buried in my closet somewhere, amongst my collection of old fansub recordings of the series. Both specials on VHS. :p

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

geee... im so new age.... all mine are on DVD.... XD

man i havent seen the specials in a while tho... hrm... gotta re-dl them XD

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Mind you, my original RK experiences were played out on an old VCR and television. It was back in the day when broadband was only beginning, DVDs were for those with mondo $$, and most fansubbing groups still used snail-mail as their main distribution outlet.

I think the relative ease of both distribution and editing available in regular homes these days has taken fansubbing to heights that never would have been achieved back then.

Things have changed greatly since those old days, which is why I noted the fact that they're "buried somewhere". Why would I watch my ratty old copy-of-a-copy-of-a-copy VHS tapes when I've got my official DVDs now? :p

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

heh Baka is old!!!!! XD