Debate Abortion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Crow, Aug 18, 2003.

?

How Do You Feel About Abortion?

1. I'm against it

30 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. I'm pro-choice

30 vote(s)
    43.5%
  3. I really don't care

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. D.T.

D.T. New Member

This is true but then again there is such things as "birth control" The kid my not know about what death and such is... but if that kid did die then that kid lost all hopes in growing up and having a good life.

It is sad that Woman have abortions. I would consider understanding other things that would lead to a mature reason as of why they where getting an abortion. They made the choice to have sex... they should have thought of birth control or just not have sex at all.

2. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

and we come bacl to a previous arguement of the forgotten topic of rape. rape is surprise sex. usually against your will. the instigator usually doesn't give 2 flying rips if the gal gets pregnant or not. not every girl is on the pill or anything like that. pregnancy occurs.
    i still don't think it's anyone's buisness why a woman wants to have an abortion. i mean, it's bad enough they got raped, but to then have to tell loads of people that couldn't care, they're just upset that an abortion is happening, that just kinda adds to it i would wager.

but, that's just my opinion.

could add another situation for ya. what if the rapist was daddy? the "he don't care" clause still in effect here.

3. -Vicious-

-Vicious- New Member

if someone got raped why would you want to keep it? it would just remind you that you were raped. plus what would you tell your kid about its father?

4. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

But birth control is not 100% fullproof.
    Condoms are 97% and the pill is 99%
    It is one thing to use birth control or to use birth contol. When one uses it they still have to take care, and use their items properly.

I completely agree with this statement. you need to take responsibility for your action.

I have to say I am for abortions if the mother is in danger or if there is a possibility that the child would have damaging life defects.

5. Black Nyoko

Black Nyoko New Member

Well my personal opinion is that abortion is not correct. I don't think that people have the right to kill any human being- whether or not it is the mother's child. I understand that sometimes to kill the baby they are saving the mother's life. However, just how some of you stated, the mother should not have had sex in the first place or should of been better protected. And there is always the effects of rape. I know that if a person was raped they might not want a child to be there everyday to remind them of that event. However, is abortion really necessary? I mean the mother can adopt the child and never see it again. I mean would you rather have a child to remind you of the event of the rape or have the neverending rememberance that you actually agreed to take a life away-and may i add an innocent life.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

You take lives away every day, often through inaction, without even thinking about it. The only difference is with an abortion its a lot closer to you. Heck, the power for your computer is probably provided by a very dirty power source, and thats not doing the environment any good.

7. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

My youngest sister is adopted, my parents were waiting on a list for adopting a child for 3 years. They finally gave up and decided to try to get one from China, and thats how we got Panda (thats the sis)

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Your parents named the kid Panda? Oh dear.

9. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Panda wouldn't be that bad of a name, considering that new law in Japan that lets parents name their kids things like Rape, Cancer, and so on. (after translation)

But anyway, as for the issue, abortion, I had been avoiding it for some time. I didn't want to take a stance. I don't particularly like the idea, but I can see where it would be preferred by some. (Ie, person is raped) I think it is ultimately something that is up to the person, something each of them must decide for themselves. I think that people should be free to choose, but that they should give a good reason for getting one.

10. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Actually, those statistics are based on the assumption that the couple is even using them correctly. You'd be amazed how many people don't know diddly-squat about how to use a condom for maximum effectiveness, or how many teenagers don't really understand their own bodies' reproductive functions.

The "she should have been more careful!" argument pisses me off. Yes, it's true in some cases that people just make very bad choices - but the fact is (as I believe I stated previously in this debate) that if accidents occur where those involved tried to take appropriate measures to protect themselves, there's still the problem of an unwanted pregnancy. In such instances, exactly how is it fair to say that the mother should take responsibility? (This happens to grown women, too, not just teenagers who "shouldn't be having sex if they're not ready for the consequences.")

Besides which - and this is something else that I covered a while back, I think - if a person is careless enough to become pregnant through ignorance or simple lack of precautions, what makes you think they'll make a good parent? I don't mean if they keep the baby. Parenthood starts at the moment of conception, and a person who's foolish enough to get so drunk that they forget the condom, or who only takes their birth control pills sporadically, or who just doesn't CARE... well, they're not going to take care of themselves during the pregnancy, most likely. The last thing I'd want to see is more AIDS babies, if you take my meaning. If the woman can't handle the responsibilities of parenting, then she should have the option to terminate the pregnancy at an early stage.

Black Nyoko, you can't necessarily predict pregnancy complications that could threaten the mother's life. And many women who know they're at risk want to try to have children anyway. But if there IS a complication, what are they to do?

Here's a scenario: Say we have a woman who's just found out that she's going to have quadruplets (four babies, say... a set of twins and two singletons - this is a rarity, but increasingly possible with the use of fertility-enhancing techniques that can cause more eggs to be released at once). The twins, unfortunately, seem to have a congenital defect and are very weak and much smaller than the other fetuses. The mother is approaching middle age and she's having extreme back pain and so on because of the pregnancy. Then she's told that if she doesn't abort the twins - via an injection into each fetus which would kill them and allow them to be reabsorbed - she might lose ALL the babies, especially if they were born prematurely. Would you say that she should risk all their lives as well as her own, or should she opt for the safest route for those most likely to survive anyway?

See, the point here is that I don't think anyone else should be allowed to make that choice for her. It's for her (and her family) to decide which path they feel most comfortable with.

11. Sleeper_awake

Sleeper_awake New Member

Thank you luvweaver! I was going to write something on this, but you stepped in and took over! Thank you. My opinion on Abortion is that we as humans want to escape pain, and anything that can totally interrupt our lives, but at the same time we want what is best for us without consequence. (As luvweaver put it.) [opinion] I don't necessarily understand the need for sex in a relationship that hasn't been linked in marriage, relationships end when sex is introduced its a common fact. [/opinion\

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Waaaaaaait a tick. Pregnancy is a natural process that harms nobody? Bull. Aside from possible societal/psychological repurcussions, some people ARE physically harmed by pregnancy.

For all the arguments that we shouldn't play God and pick who dies, who are we to play God and decide who lives? There are tons of people who wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for medical technology. Why can we only play God if the results make us feel warm and fuzzy at the end of the day?

...Interesting how Luv didn't bother supplying those statistics. I could say "I saw statistics proving that people who abort frequently become unicorns", but nobody would just accept that blindly now would they? I'm not saying I doubt luv; I'm saying that it's simply good form to back yourself up.

13. Sleeper_awake

Sleeper_awake New Member

Also interesting how you didn't supply statistics either. I have a question Neph, are you Neo-Evolutionist? Or Social Darwinist? Do you hate people in general? This is because I seem to think that you only look out for yourself here. My reasoning, and I hope Luv's reasoning, is not to prevent choice or to stop any sort of death-preventing medicine. Abortion is playing God yes, and yes so is using modern medicine, and yes utilizing modern medicine is also playing God. The reason I believe abortion is wrong is because people aren't deciding who lives or dies, they are killing out of convenience. It is inconvenient to have a child, Im only 16...ok...so whatever happened to adoption? If people are worried about difficulties that they can't control than why have sex in the first place? (Pardon my opinion blarging)

14. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

It's not so simple. As I've said time and again in this debate, sometimes the choice isn't "get an abortion vs. have the baby and put it up for adoption." I'm tired of seeing people blow this issue off like that - many, many women who get abortions are stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place, and don't like EITHER of their choices.

I will not restate old examples at this point. I'm just going to ask that you please, PLEASE consider some of the many reasons that abortions occur besides "liek OMG it will mess wit my social life if i have a baby!!1!" Not all abortions are for convenience, as you put it. Not all abortions are the "easy way out."

Not all pregnancies are the result of consensual sex.

Not all aborted pregnancies are unwanted or unplanned - some abortions are necessary for the mother's health, even if she wanted and planned the pregnancy. Sometimes, things happen that can't be foreseen - serious genetic abnormalities, physical trauma, things like that. Sometimes the fetus starts developing somewhere it shouldn't, like in the Fallopian tube (this is called an ectopic pregnancy, and is very dangerous).

I agree with you that people should not have sex if they aren't prepared to protect themselves. But the "she should have been more careful" anti-abortion argument is shallow, insensitive, and shows a bad case of tunnel vision on the part of anyone who uses it as their core defense, because it fails to consider other possibilities.

15. IceLands

IceLands New Member

I am against abortion, I dont think its right to kill a child, its like saying what If you werent alive right now (pretty weird huh, and I dont just mean, you just now droped dead, I mean you never existed):rolleyes:

you could always give the baby up for adoption