About The Viz Translations

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Chane, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Has anyone read them? Are they at least decent? I want to re-read the Rurouni Kenshin manga but I can't find it anywhere online... mostly just text translatiosn and such, and not even half the series, so I figured maybe I'd start investing in buying the translated volumes by Viz. I was just wondering if anyone has read them before and if they're worth the money to get.

2. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

Naw dont buy just spend alot of time at the book store dood 10$ for a volume youre only gunna read once isnt really worth it

3. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Actually I saw them for about 7 to 8, and I read my manga over and over again quite regularly. I forgot how many times I've read Hellsing. >.>

Besides. I would like to have them to reference at a later time.

4. Fudge_Monkeys

oOo i see If the Mangas better den tha anime i guess it will be worth it =P you can always ask a friend is they have a volume too

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

My friend got a volume. I have yet to "borrow" it. But I think he said it isn't bad.

Manga are usually the first. So they follow what the story should be with no side arcs. Viz isn't to bad with the manga's. Somethings they change but to much. From what I have read.

6. Chane

Chane Audience of One

That's good to know, thanks... I just got annoyed with some of the stuff Viz did with Naruto (I'm looking at you "Art of the Valentine").

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Wow, someone finally picked up the license for the long manga huh?

I will definately be scooping up the Jinchuu Arc when they get to it. I am a huge fan of the anime up until the end of Kyoto and picked up the economy boxsets - but I have no plans to pick up the third season at all. The manga, however, would be something I would truly go for.

Of course, I'd be interested to hear more vouchers for Viz's job at translation.

Edit: And it's been out for a few years now, even. Have I been under a rock all this time? *runs off to buy volumes 18-28*

8. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Hrm.... for the most part the translations are decent. However some things, mainly names and places are spelled wrong. most people who dont read or speak Japanese misunderstand Japanese. for instance, Osaka, actually is spelled Oosaka, like Battosai is really spelled Battousai. Things like that dont translate into English well for some reason... as well as some jokes that really only work in Japanese.... those arent translated into the english version as far as i can see.

Overall, decent, but if you can read Japanese.... go with the original XD

9. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Another thing now that my friend says that he hates it when they americize things for example with Death Note when Raito (Light) has chips they called it sour cream and onion when it was like seaweed and something.

If you can get past changes like with names, places, sometimes foods, and etc. It isn't bad. At least they don't flip it.

10. Hitokiri_Gensai

i think the worst part is when the dont translate things that are crucial to the series, like in the TV series for RK they never bothered to translate "oro" they just left it out. other bits like when they translate techniques and stuff... often times the name DOESNT WORK IN ENGLISH. like would you rather hear, Ryu Tsui Sen or Dragon Hammer Flash? or Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu or Flying Heavens Honorable Sword Flow. honestly, in english it sounds straight out stupid.

11. Fudge_Monkeys

By the Way.....What Does oro mean......Cause you know... no one Translates it...... on the sub Versions i watch....

12. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

HG: You forgot some things about the translations themsleves.

The Ryuu in "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu" is really Ryū in the manga. They just put the slash over it. Its the same for Battousai. They just put a slash over the "o" and remove the "u". I think they do that so that it doesn't seem so long, I guess. Ryū I can understand but Battousai is just weird right there. I would have liked the "u" in the name.

13. Hitokiri_Gensai

oro is a form of an Kansai Dialect, it means similar to ara, or huh in english. but oro sounds a lot better XD

well those marks tell how to prounounce the word so technically they are correct. However, the Japanese itself uses the extra character "u" so why youd omit it and place a pronunciation mark there instead is beyond me.

14. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

So, I got my volumes a few weeks back, and have been going at them gradually (because I didn't wanna rush through them within the first day or so) and am just about done with book 28 now.

The translations were described just about spot on. The "ou" to "accented o" doesn't bother me at all, since the u is frequently left off in most translations of anything anyway. I liked how they provided both the original and translated form of most of the techniques, though. As bad as "Dragon Hammer Flash" sounds, it's useful to have it alongside "Ryu Tsui Sen" for those who can't transliterate things for themselves - and not omitting the original prevents it from reading goofily.

Which is more than I can say for what happened to the coolness of "Futae no kiwami" and "Aku Soku Zan". Viz's decision to change those is a bad one in my opinion, although I can see where they arrived at it. "Mastery of Layers" and "Swift death to evil" just sound lame in any case. "Aku Soku Zan" IS "Aku Soku Zan". End of story. Never change it. :p

15. Hitokiri_Gensai

i understand the relevance of having the translation there, but in the end, like a name, the techniques and the name of the school ARE proper names and shouldnt be changed.

again i can understand where you might translate those things, but again they are proper names and should be left like that. beside which, Aku Soku Zan was the motto of the entire Shinsengumi, so changing is kinda... hrm... like changing history i suppose.