ADV has posted up a trailer for Gatchaman! Check it out!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Hey guys,sure been a while. I've been lurking (but not posting) often on this board for a while now in hopes of someone posting up something new but things have been real dead around here. Well,here's something to invigorate the board and keep you satisfied until June 14th,it's ADV's first trailer for their Gatchaman release,and it has a small taste of the voice acting to boot!

Just visit the official ADV page:

http://www.advfilms.com/

Then check for the trailer toolbar to the right,pick "Gatchaman" and you're set! From the looks of things,it appears that the prints AREN'T remastered,at least in the trailer i hope. But then again there is so much you could do with 33-year old prints. It looks better than the BotP prints,but not as good as the G-Force prints. But you can't really measure the quality of the prints until you have the DVD's yourself,seeing as the trailer is in Flash.

As far as the voice acting goes,IMO it's a mixture of BotP and G-Force fare. The clip shown is from the first episode when the delegates from around the world meet up and Galactor and our 5 heroes are introduced (not shown in BotP). THe voice acting leans towards BotP by sounding professional and well-done and it also leans towards G-Force by having accents for the other delegates. Sounds pretty good so far. Check it out!

2. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

I saw it some days back, Dirk. I cant say they have sold it to me yet.

Looks like `another` Sentai show.....

MT, (who lurks too, when nothings going on)

----------------------

Gatchman English Cast List

Director: Charles Campbell
    Senior Translator: Sarah Lindholm
    ADR Writers: Cyndi Williams & Monica Rial
    Studio: ADV Studios

In the near future, the international community is thrown into chaos by a series of attacks by the evil criminal organization known as Galactor, and only the Science Ninja Team Gatchaman is capable of stopping the threat. Handpicked by the brilliant scientist Dr. Nambu, the five young members of Gatchaman are ready to face the most nefarious plans of Galactor; and win! The original Japanese series that formed the basis of Battle of the Planets and G-Force, this release will be unedited and uncut with an entirely new dub, including 20 episodes never before released in the US.

Ken Washio - Voiced by Leraldo Anazulda - 18 years old - The leader of the Science Ninja Team, his nicknames are “Gatchaman” and “Ken the Eagle,” and he’s #1 on the Science Ninja Team. His primary preoccupation is Justice, with a capital "J". As the leader of the Science Ninja Team, Ken is all about following orders and the mission, except when his own very strong sense of justice takes over, in which case he’ll do what he thinks is just regardless of orders to the contrary. Although he often chastises the others for not showing patience and looking before they leap, he can leap with the best of them and frequently rushes headlong into situations. He’s just a independent as Joe is, and causes just as much trouble as Joe does, but while Joe gets yelled at for it (generally by Ken), Ken often gets away with it because he’s the leader of the group.

Joe Asakura - Voiced by Brian Jepson - 18 years old - His nickname is “Joe the Condor," and he’s #2 on the Science Ninja Team. Joe is supposed to be of Italian (Sicilian) heritage, and he's got a lot of anger. He’s the troubled loner type, a very tough-guy. Joe is an expert weaponsman whose basic approach to dealing with the enemy is “I’m going to shoot [insert name of ammo] at that bastard right now.”

Jun - Voiced by Kim Prause - 16 years old. Her nickname is “Jun the Swan,” and she’s #3 on the Science Ninja Team. As the only female on the Science Ninja Team, she is a victim of the 1970s Japanese culture’s views on women. On the one hand, she’s obviously meant to be tough — she’s a Science Ninja explosives expert — and very self-sufficient. She can also hold her own in a fight, and for the standards of the time was pretty kickass as a female personality. But at the same time, she’s used as a girly-girl (“Oh, how pretty!” “Oh no, Ken, what do we do now?”) who is treated as on a different level from the male characters whenever plot suits. She wears a skirt, and she’s also subject to frequent panty shots. On the whole, though, she does have her own brand of toughness, and isn’t someone to take likely.

Ryu Nakanishi - Voiced by Victor Carsrud - 17 years old - Ryu's nickname is “Ryu the Owl,” and he’s #5 on the Science Ninja Team. The general pilot, he’s the one that flies the big combined mech, sort of the home base guy. Ryu is more easygoing and friendly than Ken or Joe. And also more sane than Ken or Joe. He has sort of a stereotyped role as a “big oaf”; he’s often seen eating, he’s the nice one, and he’s got a bit of a “country boy” accent and feel to him. He is extremely strong physically, but his luck with women is not so good.

Jinpei - Voiced by Luci Christian - 10 years old - Jinpei's nickname is “Jinpei the Swallow,” and he’s #4 on the Science Ninja Team. The kid of the Science Ninja Team at 10 years old, he acts his age a lot of the time. Jinpei is a foundling, and since the area where he was found is apparently the area where the Iga Ninja were based, Jinpei has decided that he’s the final successor of the Iga ninja clan. He's a bright, obnoxious kid with a lot of bravado who sometimes indulges in a fondness for bad puns.

Narrator - Voiced by George Manley - A generalized narrator. He is in every episode of the series and has a stereotypical male narrator voice and speech patterns.

Director Anderson - Voiced by John Swasey - A gruff older man with an air of bulk and power. He is the leader of the International Science Organization, the group leading the war against Galactor — the bad guys. The ISO's true purpose is to establish world peace by developing nonpolluting energy sources. He is the only person senior to Dr. Nambu and is a powerful political force in the UN.

Dr. Kozaburo Nambu - Voiced by Andy McAvin - Approximately 48 years old. He is the chief scientist and administrator for the International Science Organization. As the creator of the Science Ninja team, he’s the man who gives the orders and is the only one who knows who the team members really are. His field of expertise is astrophysics. He is a stern leader who expects to have his orders followed. A tough, very “I know what’s going on and I’m in charge so listen up” kind of a guy.

Berg Katse - Voiced by Edwin Neal - The most visible of the Galactor villains; if this were Star Wars he’d be Darth Vader in terms of where he stands within the power structure. Extremely intelligent, he is a master of disguise and escape artist. He is appropriately imperial while giving orders and more deferential when talking to Leader X.

Leader X - Voiced by Winston Parish - The head of the Galactor orginization. A mysterious figure seen only on communications screens. He vioce is what you would expect from an emperor; imperious and slow with a strong ominous feeling to make sure you know he's the bad guy.

Red Impulse - Voiced by John Tyson - A spy for the ISO and leader of the Red Impulse Squadron, which is a three-person special task force of the ISO. His true identity is unknown. He has a headstrong, arrogant personality much like Ken’s.

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Thanks Dirk. It's really difficult to tell what the video is going to be like from watching that small clip on their webpage, but it seems pretty good. I already have problems with the voice acting, but I'll leave that alone until I see it for myself.

I assume they're going to keep the original music, but I didn't hear anything because of the opening theme...which I wonder if will stay in Japanese.

One thing I'm very happy about is they're keeping all the original names, especially Jinpei, Ryu, and Katse and not doing any dumb Westernization of those names like they did on the OAVs.

Mark

4. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Oh, crap...I can't help but to comment on the voice acting. What they're doing wrong, in my opinion, is over-acting. When Nambu is explaining who Gatchaman is, it sounds like he's stage ready to burst out a musical number. Compare that to Alan Dinehart...he presented Anderson in this scene in a normal, calm voice. That's the way this should be. It should be acted the way it would be in real life, not as if it's a production. I think that's what makes the voice acting in "Battle of the Planets" superior and more believable.

That just my opinion! :D

5. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

So does that mean you'll lay off of G-Force's dialogue and voice-acting for the time being? :cool: Or do lines like "woah,Hooty's guardian angel must be working overtime!" still fuel your dislike? :p

j/k

The script definitely seems better than G-Force's script,which is a testament to almost 20 years of advancement is dubbing and translation. Mentioning the famous "sometimes 5,sometimes 1,the white shadow etc." is a hell of a lot better than "They're all smart with good backgrounds in science. They're tough,and they all can fly!". That clip can only be compared to G-Force,seeing as BotP rectified that whole segment for more time dedicated to everyone's favorite tin can! :D They also seemed to have kept the accents on the delegates like in G-Force. Oh,and i can already predict that the VA for Jinpei (Luci Christian,who I've heard in another ADV production) will come off sounding similar to Barbara Goodson,Peewee's VA in G-Force. (Which was well cast)

I have faith Gatchaman is in good hands. But ADV has botched a classic show already from what I've heard (Saint Seiya) so hopefully after 27 years since the first dub the US will finally get a worthy dub. But that won't stop us from being nostalgically attached to previous dubs,right?

Oh,BTW,I'm STILL at ground zero on my search to see G-Force again. Which was made worse by the fact that Anime Network no longer airs G-Force in any capacity. Oh,and it appears that AN aired a HELL of a lot more episodes of BotP than the ones out of DVD in the US,and recently looped over.

6. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Oh,and let me take this opportunity to plug this clip again. I doubt ADV's (or any release in the near future) release will come close to having the audiovisual quality of this clip,but how awesome would it be to see the show in this form:

http://regnodelleanime.gamesurf.it/filtro/gatchaman_jap.htm

7. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

Im having trouble with the `Justice with a capital J` thing.

Kens main interests in life is avoiding paying his tab, flying and running after his father...

Hes not your run of the mill superhero

8. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

The countdown is on!

21 days left.

9. Melek Taos

Melek Taos New Member

Ive got too many job commitments on