Computers *ahem*, back again with a problem in my laptop..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zanza, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I've already explained my problem to Saber through MSNM, but I am going to say it once more but in a short version :p

Sometimes my laptop would kinda freeze (working very slowly like there is something not responding..). That it'd turn into that black screen with a mini blue screen saying that the system will be shut down to prevent damaga, and then it will restarts.

Now, scan disk starts and sometimes freezes and I have to shut the laptop done and start it again and the same problems occures. In the 3rd time I open it and leave it to scan the desk, it works (sometimes).

Saber told me that this is an issue of a dying HDD. I may not be a computer wiz like the most of you all, but is there anyway to fix this problem?? (I highly doubt it though :p)

I've already backed all my files up.

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

KA had a similar problem awhile back, she ended up having to get a new hard drive. I think her issue was too little free space or something, and Windows XP wouldn't run properly. Maybe try deleting files until you've got 2 or 3 gigs free?

Someone else might have a better solution than me, but if you've got everything backed up and that doesn't work, why not try formatting it and reinstalling everything? If that doesn't fix it...

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Dying HDD. Stick your ear near where the hard drive is, and if you head odd noises coming from it...it's time to get a new one.

Noises: Clicking, seeking but no reading, etc.

It's happened to me a few times, as I seem to go through hard drives like water...since I leave my laptop on for long periods of time.

4. Zanza

Staff Member

Rags, I have 8 gigs free from 20 gigs in drive C, as for the D drive is almost unused.
    You got the words right out of my mouth!
    I leave my laptop on 24/7, so I guess I found where the core problem is?

5. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

Jeez, I guess now I won't leave mine on all night long! How old is your labtop Zanza?
    If it making clicking sounds and looking and not finding like Izzy said, it could be the time for a new computer.
    Also if I set my computer to hibernate it helps, so that way it's still someone on and I can resume my programs quicker.
    ---ashika

6. Zanza

Staff Member

The laptop finished porbably 3 years already, getting closer to it's 4th.

The thing is, I use the laptop alot for the uni, especially since I have some programming to do (which I believe the thing that messed my laptop in the first place!). I don't need a new one so that it gets messed up as well!
    I want it to stay with me until I graduate! :p

7. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

No need for a new computer...just a new hard drive. Not too big a deal...$100 is much better than $1000.

In any case, replace the thing, just make sure your files are all backed up.

Glad I could help, Zanza. I know I was freaking out when my hard drive got all funky. I'm using a Western Digital 100GB right now, and it's still alive and kicking!

8. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

If its a dead HDD then buy a new 1.
    ORRR if its not the HDD then format the system( ALL OF IT), that bshould fix the problems. but you need to explain in more detail to me if you want my help better.

9. Zanza

Staff Member

It's ok I guess.. I was afraid that when the HDD is dead, it will harm the laptop or something. But I guess just buying a new one will do the trick. So I am not worried at all now :p

Thanks all =]

10. Rai Konoko

Rai Konoko New Member

ummm no prob lol