All Music Guide - Tomita

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by Andrew, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Just passing on a link:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_amgm/is_T/ai_amgm6265

I didn't know Plasma Music was actually a "performance group". I thought it was just Tomita's name for his way of doing things. According to the All Music article, it says:

"All members were adept at composing and arranging for the synthesizer."

Any idea who these other members were, or if they had any hand in Tomita's RCA recordings?

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

Well they are clearly compiling stuff found in other sources. Certainly calling "White Lion" a documentary is a major gaff.

Actually the back cover of the U.S. "Snowflakes" LP correctly calls it a TV cartoon project and also talks about Plasma. It mentions Plasma as a "group". But of course that term can have a few meanings - an alliance of composers isn't necessarily a performance group. I had understood that Plasma was a management company Tomita most likely set up to manage his electronic projects. As is typical with management companies, they often represent other like minded artists so they can be more fully involved in multifaceted projects.

Anyway "Snowflakes" mentions Kinji Kitashoji doing rock and Mitsuo Miyamoto doing "mood music". I'm not familar with those people's works. I know Plasma was still going in the mid 90s and had a site with someone non-Japanese. (Ron Hays??) along with Tomita and some sort of affiliation and site sharing with Logic System, though I don't think Matsutake-san was a Plasma act. Didn't the "Grand Canyon" LP announce Logic Systems forthcoming album (which did come out but not tied to Plasma Music).

I don't see Plasma Music mentioned on recent Tomita releases so I would guess whatever they did isn't going on under the Plasma Music banner these days.

3. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I guess this article does leave a bit to be desired..