Anyone Get the DVDs?

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Mark, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Has anyone picked up the DVDs yet? How are they???

2. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Not yet - hurry up Amazon. Someone mentioned a putback to 30 October?

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Amazon says Volume 1 will be released on the 30th, but Volume 2 will be released today. That makes no sense.

4. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Got it!

Our video store had both Volumes for VHS, but only Volume 2 for DVD. Volume 1 will be out next week. It was cool to watch the BotP episode and then immediately watch the Gatchaman episode to see what was taken out. I watched about 5 minutes of the “G-Force” episode to remind myself how awful it was!

Did anyone else pick it up?

5. Buffy

Buffy Guest

Oooh! I haven't actually seen BotP in 20 years, and have NEVER seen Gatchaman.
    I got Vol. 2 last night.

I have to say. Watching the BotP episodes brought back so many happy 7 year old memories. <happy sigh> Although, the show is unpalitable as an adult. The Gatchaman episodes were so very cool! Great dialogue, Kickass action! And...oh...to watch Ken pimp-slap that girl because she didn't have the strength to 'push the button' herself and avenge her father! I was laughing my butt off! Gatchaman has TEETH!

Happy sigh!

6. Raven Bishop

Raven Bishop Guest

I hope I'm not the only geek in the world. I got the DVD yesterday, watched it over and over again about 4 times. Although I'm old now, I still love BOTP, there is nothing better than Gatchaman, And I even like the overly korny G-force(but like I said, I'm a geek) Now if I can only find Eagle Riders on DVD..

7. The Larch

The Larch Guest

I *finally* found people talking about the DVDs! Man, all the BOTP/Gatch sites I went to are long since dead. Is there a good site that you guys visit? I haven't found the DVDs yet myself. The people at the stores here looked at me like I had grown a second head when I asked about it. Must search again this weekend! Can't wait for these discs. I can finally put away my boot tapes. [​IMG]

8. djw2332

djw2332 Guest

For those of you who have been able to find the DVD's, could you tell me where you found them? I have been to Best Buy, numerous video store in malls, and other off beat places and all I hear is that they have been delayed until Oct 30, for both DVD's.
    Thanks!

9. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Amazon is where I've ordered mine from.

10. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

I bought mine at Record Town. Well, it used to be Record Town but they merged with another company. But it's a national chain and I got Volume 2 this past Tuesday. Both Volume 1 and 2 VHS editions were there, also. I'll be picking up Volume 1 on DVD Tuesday.

11. I got my Volume 2 from www.dvdplanet.com, Volume 1 is still on the way.

I loved seeing BotP again! Gatchaman was excellent. The sound on my episode for G-Force was terrible, I had to crank the volume on my TV just to hear it (anyone else have this problem?). That may have been a blessing though, who wrote that dialouge? I'd never seen the G-Force series before and now I'm glad of that fact. If I couldn't watch Gatchaman right afterwards it might have put me into shock.

12. Buffy

Buffy Guest

I got my copy from Coconut's Music in our local Mall. Ours carries a large selection of Anime. Although I didn't find BoTP in the Anime section...it was in the 'Children's' section. Go figure [​IMG]...

Good luck!

13. The Larch

The Larch Guest

Finally found Volume 2 today! At Electronics Boutique of all places. Best Buy and Suncoast didn't have it. No sign of Vol. 1 yet. It was awesome to hear that theme song in hi-fi! [​IMG] All of the music on BOTP just rules. I had never seen the original Gatch episodes, that's really cool to have them on there too. I was actually surprised that they didn't hack up the original eps. for BOTP more than they did.

BTW, was I smokin' crack as a kid, or did G-Force not have secret identities? In these eps they walk around in their civvies and say "I'm with G-Force." I could swear they went to great lengths to avoid doing that. Of course with three different versions running around in my head, I could be confused.

Anyway, can't wait to find Vol. 1!

[This message has been edited by The Larch (edited 10-31-2001).]

14. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

If you were smoking crack as a kid, you still got that correct about there identities. [​IMG] That's a good point, I never noticed that in Volume 2. Perhaps it was later on in the series that this developed, but it leaves a gap in the continuity of the show. But it was for kids, and I certainly didn't pick up on it as a kid. Heck, I didn't pick up on it as an adult!!!

------------------
    CHECK THIS OUT!!!

15. The Larch

The Larch Guest

Yeah, there is a lot about this show that I didn't pick up on as a kid. I'm sure it was much easier to overlook inconsistancies then. [​IMG] Basically I just wanted to see them join up their vehicles to the Phoenix and fight big animal-inspired machines, and that's about all I remember. I had certainly forgotten things like that annoying kid in the Mummy ep.

16. Exodus666

Exodus666 New Member

I finally found Volume 2 at Best Buy. Nobody had it; Electronics Boutique, Suncoast, et al.

I remember BOTP being better, but then again I was 11 when I first saw it back in 1979.

I like the Gatchman episodes with the English subtitles better! IMHO.

17. The Larch

The Larch Guest

LOL! The distribution on this DVD is weird. Still nothing at Best Buy or Suncoast, but I finally found Vol. I at FYE (For Your Entertainment) which used to be Camelot. Normally I would never buy anything there since they overprice everything, but it was $19.99 so I figured it was fair (Vol. II at EB was $17.99).

I like Vol. I a lot better than II. But the sound on the first episode is terrible! I had to switch to mono so that it sounded decent. Which is how I listened to it originally I guess, so it sounded okay. [​IMG]

18. nightwing

nightwing New Member

Here in Canada I have only seen in in a local Comic shop and they want $32.99 CAD for it.

Our Canadian Dollar stinks right now
    1 US Dollar = 1.59210 Canadian Dollar
    1 Canadian Dollar = 0.62810 US Dollar

19. shinri

shinri Guest

For the fellow Canadians, just to let you know that you can now buy the DVDs at any HMV store. If they don't have any in stock, you can order them then and there, or online at their website. I just ordered mine today. Better late than never!

20. shinri

shinri Guest

I finally got a chance to see my DVDs on my bro's PC while he was away at school. Having never seen G-Force before, it was very interesting to compare the differences between the 3 incarnations. G-Force kept more of the original Gatch footage, and even though IMO the dialogue content was closer to the original Japanese, the voice acting was nowhere near as good as say on BotP. I noticed that the level of dialogue was kiddified a lot. As for the annoying backbeat..... argh! I still think the original Gatch I kicks butt, although BotP will always have a place in my heart despite the annoying tin can.

Anyone else have any thoughts?