Computers Anyone good at converting Assembly language code to C++?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ternaryman, Dec 5, 2005.

1. ternaryman

ternaryman New Member

Recently I have taken to reverse engineering. I use windasm and Interactive disassembler in conjunction with ollydbg. I've been looking into reversing a game called Age of Empires II, but I'm stumped by the first statement.

.text:004816B0 mov eax, 1DA4h

I see that it is an equivalency instruction, in which it calls the eax register to become equivalent to the hex value of 1DA4, but besides that I'm stumped with what its c++ equivalent would be. This instruction mnemonic is found in the WinMain function. I believe I'm using the same compiler that made Age of Empires II, which is Microsoft visual c++ 6.0. Basically I've tried declaring it as a normal variable, but that doesn't work. I've also tried using various keywords such as register, but that doesn't work either. I'm wondering if it is c++ compiler generated assembly code, but that creates overhead that doesn't seem to fit in with it. Could it be that the game is packed and that it is a misleading instruction or something?

I'm still relatively new to reverse engineering. So please excuse the fact that I am ignorant of a easy solution.

1 person likes this.
  2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

BMS or Rick or Izzy might help..
    but this is way too advance for a anime boards

1 person likes this.
  3. ternaryman

ternaryman New Member

Maybe, but I thought that there might be someone in here that could help me.

I also tried declaring it as a pointer without any luck; I'm really beginning to suspect this might have, indeed, been c++ compiler generated assembly code, but I'm not sure because with my program it generates a different output. I'm suspecting that I'm not using the right compiler at all, but that doesn't seem right because Age of Empires generates the same signature as my program.

I'll just have to keep trying, I guess.

4. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

If you had Java based problems, I'd help ya. Wait after my second semester and I can return your help :p

- Teddz

5. Shinigami-Sama

Shinigami-Sama New Member

I'd try asking out a few people over in doom9.org forums
    clouded and didee come to mind, clouded more so than didee though

[edit]
    I forgot clouded's name is actualy mg262
    [/edit]
    [edit2]
    also corecodec has lots of low level coders
    [/edit2]

1 person likes this.