Anime Fan Fiction Art Class

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Fushigi Rockna, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Fushigi Rockna

Well, looks like I’ll be the first to throw the stone…
    This is a fanfic I started almost a year ago. The idea for it actually came from one of my fav anime movies ever, but I’m not gonna say which, because that’ll give too much away. Yes it’s Yuugiou, and yes it’s Joukai, but I assure you it’s nothing dirty. (it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to write lemons. Just ask Seishin, I’ve bellyached about it to him enough times =P) Regardless, looking through my stuff, I found this to be one of the more, er…appropriate to post. =P
    It was intended to be 2 parts but I may have to do 3 parts because of length. I’ve split the first part into 3 posts because of the character limit. Anywho, enjoy~ Opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Oh and I also don’t normally don’t use spacing between paragraphs. I honestly prefer indents a la the TAB button, but that doesn’t work too well on a message board system. =P So as to keep everything clean, I employed double paragraph spacing.
    And I don’t agree with everything Kaiba says about Art Class. That’s not my opinion that’s HIS. (I love art…)
    And (again) yes, GASP, FR CAN spell. >> (I love you spell check!)

Art Class Part 1

-

Art…what a stupid subject… Kaiba Seto thought to himself, sitting in class one day, the very class he found so stupid. What’s the point?

It wasn’t that Kaiba was a bad drawer, when he was put into this class he found he was actually quite good at drawing. He had a good sense of proportion and had a very realistic drawing style. His drawings were rough around the edges but they were needless to say good. Many of the other students in the class were jealous and angry at his instant skill. Some of them had gone to the extent of trying to get him to drop out of the class by throwing art supplies and other such things at him through the window on the second story one day when he was walking around outside.

“Why don’t you just take extra math or something you nerd! Quit trying to show everybody up!” one had yelled before hurling a paint palette that had made contact with Kaiba’s temple and left one hell of a bump.

Kaiba growled at the thought of that. That same student was glaring at him this moment, and he knew he was going to get trouble again after class.

It wasn’t like it was his fault he turned out to have some artistic talents. He never knew. It kinda made sense though; his mother from what he remembered had been quite the artist. Did this come naturally to her as well? Was she hounded on for being able to do this? Kaiba dismissed this question from his thoughts; after all, it wasn’t like he could ask her…she was gone now.

It also wasn’t like Kaiba WANTED to be in this class. If extra math was available he would’ve gladly taken it. But this was one of the only classes left for him to choose from to fill up this time block. It was either this or drama, and compared to drama, art looked pretty swell. He couldn’t exactly skip class either.

The main reason Kaiba did not like art wasn’t how other students treated him or that Yuugi and his stupid friends were also partaking in this class; it was that he just couldn’t see the academic use behind this course. What purpose did it have being in school? Was school not where people learned resources they could use later in life, such as math and science? This was the case Kaiba had with most option classes, and the case he also had with gym. They were simply useless in the learning process. Drama he could give a little credit to, some of the people ACTUALLY wanted to act…but art? Drawing, painting, whatever…it was all simply a hobby. You couldn’t exactly learn it either Kaiba believed, if someone couldn’t draw, they couldn’t draw, simple as that. Plus, some people were good at drawing but horrible at painting, and sculpting… yet they forced them to do all of it! What good would that do?!

It simply had no place in school, Kaiba firmly believed.

Jounouchi Katsuya had a different idea of art however.

He, and all his friends that attended Domino High School (Yuugi, Honda, Anzu, Bakura, and Otogi) had all taken art class together. At first Jounouchi was reluctant, but after some coaxing from the rest of the gang, he decided to go into the class.

At first the others thought Jounouchi just wasn’t any good at drawing, and that was why he avoided the class, but then they discovered he was actually REALLY good. It didn’t make sense till Jounouchi explained it to them. He once used to draw a lot; everyone at school used to always ask him to draw their favorite anime characters for them. But none asked as many times as Shizuka. She would get her big brother to draw her something practically everyday and she kept all of them in a small album that was meant for photos.

When their parents divorced…Shizuka accidentally forgot her book of drawings.

Jounouchi wasn’t sure what it was, but he just didn’t want to draw again after that.

Though last time he had talked to Shizuka on the phone and told her about the art class she had instantly squealed “Draw me something Onii-chan! Just like you used to!”

But Jounouchi wasn’t sure WHAT to draw her. When they were kids it was usually pictures of Doraemon, or Sailor Moon (though…he liked drawing those girls because of the short mini-skirts) or any other child hood anime characters that she loved. But now…

Never mind the fact that when he was in art class, he wasn’t thinking of Shizuka, his mind was on someone else, and that someone else was becoming the main subject of many of his pieces.

“Ne…Jounouchi…that person looks awfully familiar…” Anzu begun that day as the sensei was returning their previous pieces and just handed back Jounouchi’s. Anzu was looking at it over his shoulder.

“Eh?” Jou responded.

“Well that girl you drew…she looks awfully familiar…is she another student?” Anzu asked.

“Well uh…”

“Lemme see! I know of every girl Jounouchi’s stalked, chased, and slept with!” Honda exclaimed, grabbing the picture.

“Hey! Don’t rip it you idiot!” Jounouchi yelled angrily.

Honda looked confused. “I don’t get it Jounouchi…who is it?”

“Let me see…” Yuugi began, taking the picture from Honda with great care. Otogi and Bakura also looked at it over Yuugi’s shoulder.

The picture was a simple little drawing that had been coloured with pencil crayons. It looked to be of a girl around their age, with long, dark brown hair blowing in the wind and blue eyes, dressed in a white summer dress. The girl’s face was in profile, which may’ve been the reason they were having such difficulty figuring out who she was. She was looking out at the sunset, from a balcony of probably an apartment, her elbows on the railing. It was definitely a nice picture…but just who was that girl?

“Is it Shizuka perhaps?” Bakura suggested.

“THAT IS NOT SHIZUKA!” Honda and Otogi immediately exclaimed.

“Shizuka’s hair is much lighter!”

“Her eyes are brown!”

“Her hair’s shorter than that!”

“The nose is all wrong!”

“ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT! SHUT UP! IT’S NOT MY SISTER DAMNIT!” Jounouchi yelled grabbing the picture from them.

“Then who is it!?” Anzu demanded.

“NO ONE!”

Seeing as this was angering Jounouchi greatly, they let the subject be.

The sensei handed back Kaiba’s drawing as well.

“Kaiba-san, maybe you should stop drawing that dragon and draw something new for a change.” The sensei said, as the picture displayed Kaiba’s signature card, the Blue Eyes White Dragon.

“I take it I got a horrible mark then.” He began, checking his mark sheet.

Kh! 76%!

“On the contrary. Your work is continuing to amaze me. You put such detail into your art, and you choose some very fine colours. Fairly impressive. I just wish you’d draw something different for a change.” The sensei told him.

“Yeah…whatever.”

The sensei began to say something as she turned away from Kaiba, which gave plenty of time for the other students to bombard Kaiba with paper balls. The brunet growled, but did not react, for he knew that was what they were after…

“Hey, why don’t you screw off you jealous no talent hacks!” a voice suddenly yelled in Kaiba’s defense.

Everyone in the room, including the sensei and his friends, stopped to look at Jounouchi in disbelief.

Jou’s angry face did not change however.

“Grow up! Someone better than you shows up and you become class A jerks! Please! Here’s some news morons, there will ALWAYS be someone better than you, got that!? ALWAYS, no matter what! It’s called LIFE! Quit throwing tantrums about it and grow up!” Jounouchi roared on. “Hell, why don’t you ASK Kaiba for advice on how to make your work better rather than punishing him for nothing!?”

Then with a huff, Jounouchi slumped down into his desk, his arms crossed, continuing to fume silently.

Everyone remained silent for a couple seconds or so afterwards, then Jounouchi said, quite calmed down:

“Go on Sensei. Continue with your lesson.”

“Uh…right, right…the lesson…well anyways your next assignment…” the sensei began.

But the words never reached Kaiba’s ears. He was still in awe over what Jounouchi had just said. Then with a hmph, he smirked and took out a piece of paper.

“Psst…Jounouchi-kun…what in the world was that about?” Yuugi whispered to his best friend.

“You never noticed it? Everyone’s been picking on Kaiba because he’s actually a good artist. Yuugi, I saw them throw art supplies at him the other day, one of the pallets they threw even hit his head! It was only a matter of time before they moved up to rocks and stuff like that and Kaiba got seriously hurt.” Jounouchi whispered back.

“But Jounouchi-kun…you don’t like Kaiba…” Yuugi muttered.

Jounouchi kinda looked away after that comment, and Yuugi returned to his straightforward position in his desk, still confused.

In a matter of minutes though Jounouchi felt something bounce off his head and in a reflex, reached his arm out and grabbed it.

2. Fushigi Rockna

Hmph, another paper ball. Those idiots have something coming to them now…He thought, looking around to see who had the guts to throw a paper ball at him.

None of the students were looking at him though. They were all focused on the sensei and her instructions. All but one.

And that one was Kaiba Seto

When their eyes met, Kaiba gave a curt nod before turning away and resting his eyes back on the sensei.

Jounouchi, somewhat confused, placed the paper ball on his desk and began to unravel it wondering if perhaps Kaiba had written something inside.

Sure enough, just as Jounouchi suspected, there was a message from the brunet waiting for him.

Defensive little mutt aren’t you?
    I’m contemplating whether or not I should thank you. I suppose I’ll feel bad if I don’t, so thanks, even though I did not require you to stick up for me.
    I don’t like owing people favors though, so what do you want?

Jounouchi got out his pen and wrote his reply.

You’re welcome, you little snob. Amazing to see you can actually utter the word thanks and not die on the spot.
    Didn’t require me to stand up for you eh? So what were you gonna do? Just sit there and take that? Sorry man, but I can’t stand people like that. Used to be a bully myself, but I’ve learnt my lesson. Now I realize how stupid the whole thing is, and I just can’t stand bullies anymore.
    Owe me something eh? Well…I’ll have to think about that…

He then sent the note back and Kaiba took it, reading it under his desk. It also did not take him long to respond, and the two continued to write back and forth…

Please, I didn’t ask for your life story dog boy. And I didn’t say the word, I wrote it, hence why I am still alive.
    Figure out what you want. Money? I will draw a line however.

I knew you couldn’t stay nice for long.
    Fine, fine. Look, if you really wanna repay me, wait a while. I’ll keep that favor in mind…

Fine! Whatever! I’m not doing anything stupid though!

To be honest, Jounouchi did have an idea in mind, even though he really did not need anything from Kaiba for sticking up for him. But he didn’t want to suggest the idea to Kaiba on paper…and he wanted to wait before telling him what he wanted…

After Jounouchi’s out burst in class, things started to change for Kaiba in art class. It seemed like everyone took Jounouchi’s advice and started asking Kaiba for his input regarding their work.

“Kaiba-kun…what’s wrong with my drawing?” one girl ask the very next day.

“How the heck should I know?” Kaiba snarled. The girl then became sad, and began to turn away when Kaiba piped up “Her eyes are fair too close together.”

The girl stopped, looked closely at her picture and then exclaimed, “Oh my god, you’re right! Thank you Kaiba-kun!” and then went right away to changing it.

Several more students started doing the same thing.

“Kaiba-kun, what do you think I should draw for the background?”

“Try a forest scene.”

“Kaiba-kun what colour should I use here?”

“Red.”

“Kaiba, what kind of pencil do you use?”

“What kind of lame question is that?! A pencil’s a pencil! Just use any one!”

“Girls! Quit bugging Kaiba-san and get some work done!”

“Yes sensei~”

Pretty soon Kaiba had his own little unwanted posse.

The boys in the class hated him still however, because every single girl sans Anzu was sticking to him like glue. Kaiba was no longer thanking Jounouchi. It was his entire fault he had been exposed to the horror of fan girls.

Since summer was closing in on them and nice, beautiful, sunny days were on the rise, the art sensei allowed her students to work outside, and was giving them assignments like ‘Draw a landscape’ and ‘Find an animal and paint him!’.

Today (being a couple weeks pass Jounouchi’s outburst) was another free assignment, where the sensei allowed her pupils to draw whatever they wanted. It was also another nice Spring-turning-into-summer day so she permitted her young artists to do their work outside on the school grounds.

Kaiba was busy running however, rather than working. Running away from the hoard of females that would never leave him alone.

“Damn you mutt, damn you, damn you, damn you, damn you to hell!” he muttered under his breath, which he was quickly running out of.

I have to find a place to hide! He thought, looking for possible spots.

His eyes soon laid on a rather large tree. A cherry tree no less, that was quickly losing it’s beautiful trade mark blossoms, but still had enough coverage to hide in. It also appeared to have been climbed on several times before, probably by other students. Now he wasn’t much of a climber, but damnit, he would quickly become one in order to escape those stupid girls!

Placing the handle of his small briefcase like bag, in which he kept all his art supplies like pencils, paper and crayons in, between his teeth Kaiba grabbed hold of a branch, and began to climb –very lousily- up the trunk, losing his footing more than once.

“Come on…come on…” he muttered, careful not to let his case out of his teeth. He could hear a dull roar of his name coming closer, and he knew it was them.

Finally, just as his fan girls were rounding the corner, Kaiba pulled himself up into the flowers, praying he didn’t get have an allergy, and seated himself on a large branch.

“Kaiba-kun? Where are you?”

“Kaiba-kun? I need help on my drawing. Kaiba-kun?”

Kaiba stayed still, not even removing his bookcase from his teeth, waiting for them to leave. Finally their calls became distant and Kaiba sighed with relief.

It was now he got a proper view of his hiding place.

It was beyond beautiful, beyond words. Plenty of the branches were large enough to sit on, and each of them went out a considerable length. Kaiba had underestimated the amount of flowers still on the tree; there were still thousands. The branches with their flowers created a thick dome all around the top of the tree, providing perfect coverage. Even from beneath the base of the tree, because of the lower branches, no one would be able to see Kaiba. Tiny rays of sunlight drifted in from above, and up in the tree it was amazingly cool. And as if it wasn’t perfect enough, the smell of the blossoms was unbelievably strong, and provided an orgasm for the nose. Kaiba inhaled the fragrance deeply; this place was like pure bliss.

It was the ideal place for art. And Kaiba wasn’t the only person to think so.

Looking up, Kaiba found himself a better, bigger branch to sit on, and climbed up on it with ease now that he was in the spot with thousands of branches protruding from the trunk for him to use as foot and hand holds. Once he got on this other branch, he took out his sketchbook and began to work on his free assignment.

In about five or ten minutes later however he heard some rustling from underneath the growth of flowers and soon saw a blond head pop up through the sea of pink blossoms.

“Oh…Kaiba…” Jounouchi began when he saw the brunet in his favorite tree.

“Bonkotsu.” Kaiba muttered, as he watched Jounouchi climb through the blossoms and rest on a branch below him. “What are you doing here?”

“This is my favorite tree, I come up here every class and whenever I need to think. What are you doing?” he replied.

“Hiding from those girls you relentlessly released on me like hounds.” Kaiba growled.

“Me? How did I do that?” Jounouchi asked innocently.

“By telling them to come to me for advice.”

“You know I didn’t mean for them to cling to you like total leeches. I mostly said that out of spite. At least they’re not throwing stuff at you anymore.”

“Hmph. This isn’t much better than that.”

“Why don’t you just tell them off then?! You certainly have no problem telling us off!” Jounouchi said, as he began to climb up a couple more branches till he was on one that was the same level as Kaiba’s. The brunet turned his nose up and looked away.

“You’re such a snob. How about I push you out of this tree and let those girls eat you alive like sharks?” Jounouchi began, somewhat in a playful tone.

Kaiba looked at him right away, eyes wide in a ‘you-wouldn’t-dare’ way. Jounouchi snickered.

“Don’t worry! I’m not that kinda guy!” he chuckled.

Blue eyes narrowed, but then a thought crossed Kaiba’s mind: where was the rest of the happy-go-lucky friendship-obsessed loser club?

“Where are…” he began, but Jounouchi knew what he was asking.

“The others? Painting some cherry blossom trees on the other side of school, probably given up on trying to figure out where it is I go every class we have outside.” Jounouchi told him.

“Ah. So they don’t know about this tree?”

“Nope.”

“And here I thought you losers shared everything.”

“Some things aren’t meant for sharing, even with your best friends.”

To say that comment surprised Kaiba was an understatement.

“There are just some things I share with only good ol’ Sakura over here.” Jounouchi went on, patting the trunk of the tree.

“Good old Sakura…? Oh! You mean the tree……….You talk…to a tree?” Kaiba realized.

“Yup. A tree can’t laugh at you like another human can. It can’t offer you advice either, but it sure makes you feel better. Also trees are alive too. This tree has got to be over 50 years old, it may even be a 100, it’s so huge…but it’s still alive. It’s probably been here from before the school was built. It’s probably seen every student that’s attended this school. But I wonder how many of them have come and actually talked to her? I know tons have climbed on her…there are markings everywhere, and good foot holds. But also, her branches are shaped almost like a mother embracing a child, a mother protecting her child…”

3. Fushigi Rockna

Kaiba looked; he had not noticed that, and probably would never have if Jounouchi had not pointed it out. But Jounouchi was right. Its branches were in fact shaped as if they were holding a rather large baby, and it was kinda like the tree was attempting to protect those in it.

“So I’m sure I make her feel better by talking to her. Look at all these blossoms! They’ve lasted long past their expectancy. And last year, before I climbed up and began talking to her, she had only a couple blossoms! But look! Since I started talking to her, she has THOUSANDS of blossoms!”

Kaiba then came to a realization. “Wait! This is that stupid flowerless tree!” he exclaimed, remembering this tree from his freshman year, the tree that had almost no blossoms at all. Kaiba remembered thinking how stupid the thing was, and wishing someone would chop it down already, put it out of its misery. He was astonished now, by all the blossoms it had managed to create in one short year.

“Don’t call her stupid! She’s alive you know! But you get what I mean now? By talking to her, I feel better, and she feels better. Yup…there’s just some things I feel more comfortable telling to Sakura than to Yuugi or Honda or Anzu, or any one of them.” Jounouchi finished, wrapping his arms as best he could around the massive trunk in a hug.

“And what things would those happen to be?” Kaiba asked with a smirk, sure that he wasn’t going to get an answer.

“Well…” Jounouchi began, looking suddenly very sad, and his voice became distant sounding. “I always tell her…about this person I like…but this person won’t give me the time of day…whenever they see me they treat me like dirt, and I don’t think they realize that it hurts…and I can’t even tell this person how I feel…because then they’ll never come near me again…”

It almost seemed to Kaiba like Jounouchi wasn’t even talking to him, but off to someone else behind him. Kaiba had to look over his shoulder to make sure that wasn’t the case. He then returned to Jounouchi to see his eyes had glossed over and had a very distant look that matched his voice, and he was looking off below, not at the brunet.

“Bonkotsu.” Kaiba began snapping his fingers in front of Jounouchi’s eyes to bring him out of his trance.

Jounouchi blinked, his eyes returning to their normal state and looked up at Kaiba. “Oh! Sorry! Rambled on there…” he said, returning to his normal, happy self.

“Right…I’m not going to even bother asking who this ice witch is.” Kaiba told him.

“Ice witch?”

“The girl you’re in love with.”

“Oh, right…”

“It…is a girl right?”

“What? Did you think I was gay?!”

But the way Jounouchi said it, Kaiba had to wonder if his little mutt was telling the truth.

“Whatever.” He muttered returning to his drawing.

Soon however he felt someone’s eyes on him and turned his head to look at Jounouchi, who was busy staring away at him.

“Wait, wait, hold that pose!” Jounouchi exclaimed in a panic.

“What the hell are you doing!?” Kaiba yelled angrily.

“I liked the position you’re in all right? I just wanted to draw it! I’m not drawing you, just the pose!” the blond yelled back.

Kaiba huffed and returned to his work.

“Can I see what you’re drawing?” Jounouchi asked after a while.

“Only if I can look through your sketchbook.” Kaiba replied. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Simple as that. Besides, chances were Jou wouldn’t want to show Kaiba his art, so Kaiba wouldn’t have to show his…

Jounouchi hesitated for a moment, but apparently the longing to see Kaiba’s work over ruled the desire to not share his own. He handed his sketchbook over in return for the other’s.

Drats, didn’t work, should’ve just said no… Kaiba thought as he took Jou’s. He honestly didn’t care what it was Jounouchi was drawing (though deep down –and he would never admit it- he was a little curious…) but it couldn’t be helped now.

As he flipped through the pages, Kaiba became confused.

“All the same model…” he muttered.

“Wwwwwoooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww~…I didn’t realize you were this good Kaiba…I only saw a couple of your pieces before…heh, heh, now even I’m a little jealous….” Jounouchi said, never hearing Kaiba.

Kaiba ignored the blond; he tilted his head from side to side, and spent a good minute or so on each picture. Where had he seen this person before? Brown hair…Jou’s little sister What’s-her-name perhaps? No, her hair was out of her face, this girl had bangs all across her forehead, scattered into her blue eyes, like his. Maybe it was Never-Shuts-Up-Cheerleader-Girl. No wait, her hair was too short. That woman that had no decency and needed some clothes? No, that one was blonde, not brunette. His face was twisted in a determined struggle now as he strived to figure out who Jou’s model was. After looking at it more carefully, he begun to wonder if it was even female. Sure, ‘she’ was in dresses mostly and had long hair, not to mention a teeny, tiny waist, but the shoulders were a little too broad to be female, and the chest was far too flat. And that kind of jaw just wasn’t all that attractive on a woman. Was Jou really that bad of an artist? No, despite all these male qualities it was still a beautiful picture, and if you didn’t look very, VERY carefully, you would never have noticed what Kaiba had.

As he flipped to the next picture, Kaiba’s face lost its blood and became lily white. Up until this point, every picture had either been done in profile or at an angle; none straight on. This picture was the only one where the model was looking straight ahead, directly at the viewer. However this wasn’t the reason Kaiba became so pale. The reason was because now, with this picture, he recognized the model.

“Ma…ke……i…nu….” The frightened CEO began, his body trembling and the syllables having difficulties leaving his lips.

Jou picked up on the change of tone (so very different than Kaiba’s normal one!) and turned directly to the brunet. “Yes? What is it? Found something you like?” he replied, somewhat excited; he had yet to figure out what the change of tone meant.

Kaiba turned to him slowly, a nervous expression on his face, shaking like a leaf. He pointed a quivering finger at the piece of art.

“Is this…Is this…me?”

Jounouchi’s eyes flared, and in a lightning fast movement, snatched the book out of Kaiba’s shaky hand.

“NO! OF COURSE NOT! ARE YOU NUTS!? WHY WOULD I BE DRAWING YOU, HUH!?” he quickly started to yell in his own defense, as scared as hell.

He could’ve sworn that picture was in his OTHER sketchbook!

“I think you’re pretty delusional Kaiba, this is a girl, see?! Or is there something you’re not telling us, hmm?!” he went on.

Kaiba wasn’t convinced; that picture was like looking into a mirror.

Jounouchi quickly handed the other his book. “Go. The bell’s gonna ring soon.”

Having stopped his shaking, (he was most definitely going to scold himself later for ever having trembled at all, even though it couldn’t have been helped) Kaiba took back his book wordlessly and made his way down the tree.

Once on the ground however, he stopped, and turned his head back up at the blossoms, where Jounouchi was hidden from his sight.

“My ears aren’t that big, bonkotsu, you ass!” he yelled angrily, before running off.

Jounouchi slumped in his spot with a pouting sigh, his heart beginning to slow its crescendo beat. After a few moments of silence, he flung his arms around the tree as best he could once more, sadness spread across his face.

“What am I going to do Sakura…?”

-

What’s he gonna do indeed….. >>

4. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Very good FR. You are improving on spelling and etc. I think I know whats going to happen. Well maybe.

5. Fushigi Rockna

OMG, SOMEBODY READ! T_T THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Eh, I've never been a bad speller, just bad for typos and too lazy to correct myself. =P

Heh heh, oh you do, do you? >D heh heh~

6. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I know what you like. :D