Art Art of The Dark Phoenix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wertitis, Apr 23, 2006.

1. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

The Dark Phoenix is my pen name, and at this moment I'm working on various sketches for a story that I've been writing for almost 4 years now (o.o; Yeah, no kidding... I'm way too long winded.)

After finally splurging for a tablet I'm finally able to finish up my first CG sketch. I'm sure about three or four weeks down the road I'll look at it and change out a few things, but for the most part it's complete.

It started out as a sketch on plain old copy paper, Here. Any good Saber Marionette fan should be able to deduce where I pulled the design for her hair from. I fell in love with the way it looked and decided to use it here with my own nips and tucks. Her stance and build were all used from refrences -namely my web cam with myself as a model, and several images I gleaned online to get an idea as to how make her feminine structure look a little less butch. Yeah, I'm one of those artist's that "cheat" and use a refrence as a model for the base sketch. I'm not at the point where I can freehand any human pose and make it look right. I gotta have a model to work off of.

After that I went ahead and scanned and printed it out so that I could ink it (with a cheap ballpoint pen, no less... -.-). Next time I'm going to Michael's and getting a decent inking set. If anyone has any suggestions I'd gladly take them. The finished inked copy can be seen Here.

And finally I went ahead and CG'd it using Adobe photoshop. The colors I pulled from refrences online to get the right tone. About 90% of this was done with a mouse, so it wasn't until I got fed up with the hair highlights that I went out and got me a decent tablet. After that it was a matter of cleaning up what I saw to be bad and fleshing out the rest. The thing I'm proud about this is that I did 90% of the shading and highlighting, so I don't think it turned out too badly.

The end Result? Well take a look for yourself.

[​IMG]

She's Bloodberry from Saber Marionette, if you haven't figured it out. Yes that is who you think gawking at her. I really like how the dumbfounded look on her face turned out. The background was pulled from a Vandread scan (and for good reason). It's title is "Space Pirate" and comes from a chapter in my story were Bloodberry and her sisters take up the role you see and assists a ship full of pirates repel boarders. Sounds cheesy, I know. Maybe someday I'll release it on FF.net and it'll make more sense.

Below is a sketch of my next project. It's another Saber Marionette doodle I created from the same fanfic as the one above. As soon as I get around to getting a decent ink job completed on it I'll post up the CG. This one is titled "Combat Doll- Motherhood".

~W

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Nice stuff. :) Really nice.

That reminds me, if you've written anymore of your story, I'd like the next installment, please. :p

Looking forward to your WIP too. :)

3. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Let' see never watched SMJ but with that. Yes i'd love to watch it ^^. Great work Wert. Oh boi oh boi. That ryhmes. :p

The last doodle looked awesome. Your truly a artist.

4. child of sin

child of sin ★★★★☆

nice props! man i really like the figuer :) but u really have to work on a def way of CG, try to use layers if u dont and make sure to use a good/clean lineart with multiply layers.
    awesome! ^^

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

she reminds me of bloodberry, very nice though! RYOKO!

6. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

You can write and draw. Your quite a package deal. :p

Nice art work btw.

7. Lance Leingod

Lance Leingod The White Blade

If that isn't true art that isn't done by someone that isn't hired to draw anime, than I don't know what it. I love it!! ^_^