Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sp1k3, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sp1k3

Sp1k3 New Member

I had always thought, this but why not increase the avatars to at least 80x80? Its not that big of an increase and 80x80, isn't that big.

2. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

i also agree with this. Its so hard to find 64x64 avatars and make them right on the dot. ^_^ can we?

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

A fine suggestion, but I dunno. 64x64 seems allright. But if it's decided for the avatars to be bigger, I won't go against it. I think it may do some better and give people more options on avatars. But there must be a reason to as of why it's how it is right now.

-Seishin

4. Orion

Orion Gears

Maybe vBulletin only allows 64x64 avatars by default? Besides, can't you just resize and 80x80 to a 64x64? It's not that hard. Although sometimes the avatar (after it has been resized) looks a little pixel choppy. If we did decide to go with bigger avatars, I, like Seishin, won't be against it. I just wouldn't see a point in going any bigger when, in my opinion, 64x64 seems to be working just fine.

5. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

I don't see anything wrong with 80x80, but I also don't see why they need to be bigger. But I hold no objections. I think I would like to see bigger avatars. This would make a good poll...

6. Seishin

Seishin Guest

It should. Actually, it does. I think I saw an avatar on Rag's Forum that's bigger than 64x64.

Besides, things don't look as good when you resize them.

I agree with the poll thing, but in the end, it's up to Cloud.

-Seishin
    (Fifteen Hundreed Posts! Quote this part at your own risk!XD)

7. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Actually, I don't think it's because of VBulletin. I go to another forum that uses VBulletin but they let avatars up to 200 x 200 pixels.

But if you ask me, it should be 100 x 100 pixels for a nice even number.

Do I win something? :D

8. Orion

Orion Gears

I've quoted it at my own risk. :p That's what I said earlier, sometimes bigger avatars don't look as good when you resize them. They become pixel-choppy and sometimes vital parts are missing. Oh well, still, like it's been said, we need a poll.

9. Ashika

Ashika This thing is so short...

Would the bigger avatars just be too big? I mean, I think they would look weird bigger. They are nice now. And if you resise them the details can go away or become blurry.

10. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

then as many people before me have said..why are you posting the same thing people have been saying?..* growls * stop trying to get your post count up

Ok well i see something i didnt see before..well if our avatars get big then people will wanna get siggy's big and then so ..on...and so..on and ive seen other forums with like 600x600 siggys and 120x120x avatars..and it takes forever to pull threads up with all the images..

1 person likes this.
  11. Fushigi Rockna

64 x 64 is completely fine. There's plenty of 64x64 avatars out there (unlike 60x60 which i require for another forum...*grrrr*) and 64x64 is a nice number. The avatar is small enough that it doens't take up too much room or isn't too distracting. Considering all the little extras we have to be displayed under our names (location, currently watching, currently listening to, and the newly added how long you've been online) bigger avatars may just clutter it up more.

Nevermind how long things can take to load.

I don't exactly like 80x80. 100x100 is better, and I've seen forums function perfectly with those, however, I am completely content with 64x64, and I dodn't think goign any bigger will do any good.

That's just my opinion however.

It's all up to Cloud.

12. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

vB default is actually 80x80, but looking around a bit I think Cloud just copied a bunch of rules from vB.com, he's got almost the same avatar sizes, and the same sig limits. :p

Indeed, I prefer and use 96x96 myself.

2863 posts, so :p!

Anyway, I don't think it should be bothered with, for the following reasons:

1. Someone would have to resize or recreate every one of the avatars in the gallery. Being as there are several hundred, it's no small task. :dizzy2:

2. 64x64 is a nice size. It is a bit small, yes, but at least we don't have postbits that take up the whole screen. I've seen forums that allow 200x200 avatars- I can't say I'm a fan.

And, well, that's it. But I think if you need a big avatar to enjoy a forum, then you should reconsider what's important to you.

I've looked around Cloud's other forums, and he makes them all use 32x32 avatars. You're lucky he's so lenient with us. :p

Seriously though, it's not a big deal, it's more work than it's worth, and I for one, wouldn't bother. Avatars add character to the post, they should *be* the post.

13. Orion

Orion Gears

I wasn't, I was poking fun at Seishin. :p So, based on the majority of the replies, it seems like we're all okay with the avatar size. I agree that bigger avatars will take up more space, and there's no need to jumble things up and make things more difficult for members. I don't think that 64x64 is that small, although I have found some neat avatars I wanted to use here but then found out they were too big. When I went to resize them, they looked really distorted. So maybe bigger avatars would be nice, it all depends if Cloud wants to or not.

14. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

They might, but keeping all avatars at 64 x 64, or even having all avatars at 80 x 80 keeps the forum uniform and makes it a lot easier on the eyes.

If we pumped the avatar size up to 80x80 we would also need to change our 64x64 avatars, this would take quite a bit of work.

Really, you can make your own avatars too, just use a graphics program. You can make an avatar out of any picture, just copy and paste a selection and resize it to 64x64. Or, maybe we can work on making avatars together.

15. Sp1k3

Sp1k3 New Member

Or the 80x80, could be used for Power only users to save the gallery situation. But, when you shrink avatsrs, that sometimes, get all messy and unreadable to see.

16. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Most forums run on 64x64 or 100x100 from what I've seen. I'm happy as is with my avatar.

-teh Lucky

Note: I typoed on this post like a Fiend.

17. Seishin

Seishin Guest

That's usually on programs like Paint. You can do it on Photoshop and it's bound to not get messy. Bigger sizes are better inded though. For instance:

This is my current regular avatar:
    [​IMG]
    A bit of work required
    Used Paint and PowerPoint

This would be my avatar in it's 80x80 form:
    [​IMG]
    Not as much work required
    Used Paint and PowerPoint

And this is the unlikely choice of 100x100:
    [​IMG]
    Just cut it it
    Used Paint

In my choice, I think 80x80, and that should be enough.

As for regular avatars, the new users will have to earn the 80x80 custom privileges, or wait for someone to make avatars 80x80.

-Seishin

18. Orion

Orion Gears

Case in point: The avatar looks a lot better when it's bigger. Still though, i think our prayers for bigger avatars will go unanswered as BJP has had it 64x64 for years (I think), and doesn't really see a need for change. Everything is running smoothly and that's the way we want to keep it! :)

19. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

As long as I've been around, we've been running 64x64. Why not keep it the same? But I would like to have .GIF and animated avi's and siggy's allowed.

20. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Agreed. I've been sitting on this for a while. Why shouldn't we have animated avatars and sigs if they're the right pixel size and memory size and don't they don't have flashy light patterns that cause some people to have seizures? I for some reason, I've seen people with animated avatars anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.