Bach Fantasy/Earlier Works

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by Eoin, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Eoin

Eoin New Member

How do you feel about Bach Fantasy compared to Tomita's earlier works? Nice, but lacking the same depth of imagination...?

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

Well you don't want to go too hard on it considering he hadn't done one in years (and hasn't since except for the remixed Planets 2003). So it's a shame it didn't stir up enough interest to do more. He needs a record label to commision works like these. He's not going to do an album and then see if anyone wants to release it.

It definitely is more smooth than his prior ones. Bach is more about counterpoint of individual instrument lines than creating an overall impressionistic sound, I think he's doing some colorful creative things with the music though the already released tracks have more of a Space Music feel than the new ones which have a little bit of an classic EZ listening or Orchestral Pops feel (- like the masters of Easy Listening, not the cheap throwaway stuff - I guess Leroy Anderson - Tomita did a version of his "Syncopated Clock" - he would be more or less the level I'm thinking of) I'd say it shows quite a bit of imagination since the arrangements are quite elaborate - certainly more so than most of his 80s adaptations - because they tend to be much more straight-forward.