Back in Tokyo: JAL, LiveInAsia, etc.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Cloud, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

It's good to be back in Japan! I made the trip yesterday from Shannon to Heathrow, and then onwards to Haneda Airport in Tokyo.

IMG_6437.JPG

After a very orderly boarding process, the first thing I noticed was how spacious the economy class on Japan Airlines was. As a six-foot-plus guy, I am used to being squashed on planes, but this was surprisingly roomy - not luxurious, but more akin to economy plus on other airlines. The multimedia system was pretty good too.

IMG_6440.JPG

The service on JAL is great - I forgot my pen, they gave me one (to keep); they put toothbrushes in the bathrooms around 'bedtime'; and even put in some little origami birds to add to the ambience.

IMG_6444.JPG

I am staying in an apartment from liveinasia.com, so after two trains to the area I'm in (Nishiogikubo), I was met at the station by Vacance Corporation's Makoto-san, who was very friendly and gave me all the tips as we walked from the station to the apartment.

IMG_6447.JPG

Makoto reminded me that the Suginami Animation Museum is near here, and I was happy to see Ken/Mark from Gatchaman/BoTP on the flyer! Also there's a "Totoro Tree" nearby and of course the Ghibli Museum isn't too far away.

The apartment itself is a good size, 45m^2, so roomy as Japanese apartments go, and fairly reasonably priced.

I did some shopping in Seiyu - there's a big 24/7 branch three minutes from the apartment and just under the rail lines (the train station is equally close, although you don't hear too much through the triple glaze) - managed to get some dairy-/wheat-/soya-free food options too.

IMG_6449.JPG

Later on had a nice walk around the area, which I was somewhat familiar with from Google Maps! I found a great CD in a second-hand shop for ¥100, and there are apparently lots of antique shops in the area.

IMG_20150624_223957.jpg

Here's a picture from the apartment's balcony (Nishiogikubo train station on far right).

Panorama.jpg