Computers Best laptop

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Basher, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I know enough about computers but not everything.

I am looking to spend about 700 bucks.

I am looking at...

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1420?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

with specs:

Inspiron 1420
    Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2330 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
    Specifications - Inspiron 1420

Operating System
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
    Specifications - Operating System

LCD Panel
    Glossy, high contrast, widescreen 14.1 inch display (1280x800)
    Specifications - LCD Panel

Optical Drive
    CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
    Specifications - Optical Drive

Memory
    1GB2 Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    Specifications - Memory

Hard Drive
    Size: 120GB3 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
    Specifications - Hard Drive

Video Card
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
    Specifications - Video Card

Sound Card
    High Definition Audio 2.0
    Specifications - Sound Card

Wireless Networking Cards
    Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
    Specifications - Wireless Networking Cards

Battery Options
    56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
    Specifications - Battery Options

System Color
    Jet Black
    Specifications - System Color

Warranty & Service
    1Yr Ltd Warranty4 and Mail-In Service

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=386477&pCatg=5680

It is the Toshiba Satellite A215 1.9GHz, 160GB HD, 15.4" LCD

Specs:
    Specifications
    # Processor and Memory: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 1.9 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache, HyperTransport™ Technology @ up to 1600MHz
    # AMD M690V chipset
    # Configured with 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may be occupied)
    # Maximum capacity 4096MB

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives:
    # 160GB (5400 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
    # DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats

Graphics:
    # ATI Radeon™ X1200 128MB-319MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory

Connectivity:
    # Realtek 802.11b/g wireless-LAN

Ports/Slots:
    # RGB (monitor) output port
    # S-Video output port
    # Microphone input port
    # Headphone output port
    # i.LINK™ IEEE-1394
    # USB v2.0 - 4 ports

Display:
    # 15.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)

Special Features:
    # Webcam and microphone built into LCD bezel

Operating System:
    # Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (32-bit version)

I am using it for school. I have loads of space on my desk drive so 160 gb HD sounds good to me. I want a webcam built in for when I study with people who can't meet or tutor those who can't meet. Which both have.

So my question which is better dell or toshiba?

And maybe are there any better out there then these? 700 plus tax should be about how much I can spend.

I have yet to check out best buy. I went there to buy Naruto uncut boxset 2. It wasn't in but it was almost 50 bucks. I bought Uncut 1 for 25. I was like no thanks.

Thanks.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

When I shopped for a laptop, I went here:
    http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/laptop_deals.htm
    Just find that niche model you're looking for, and you're good to go.

Anyway, I've been using Dell for over 8 years (3 notebooks) and their build quality is down a bit from my first one, but it seems to have spiked up from my 2nd one. However, my 3rd Dell is an XPS, so I payed a little more for it. However, Dell has the great option of being able to customize some aspects of it, as it's pretty much built to order.

Toshiba laptops are very nicely made, though I'm not too sure about not being able to customize what you want in a laptop, which is why I continue going with Dell.

Check on Lenovo too. They're a subsidiary of IBM, but they make GREAT laptops with good build quality if you're looking to lug it around. My dad has one, and it's great. Only, I'm not sure if they have models with built-in cams.

One thing that I just figured out about my buying notebooks is that I'd prefer spending a little more money for a smaller one, than have an uber-powerful desktop-sized one. But, of course, size is always a hefty premium. Stuff by the ounce always sells for more than stuff by the pound.

Now, on to the Dell notebook you're looking at. A few things I noticed:
    1. If you plan on keeping Vista, get more RAM. 1GB is what Vista Home Premium (with the Aero package) uses when it's IDLING.
    2. XP seems better, so far, if you plan on completely turning off your notebook between jobs. Vista takes too long, and people recommend putting it on Hibernate instead...which uses up MORE RAM (which is probably why mine takes up 1GB constantly).
    3. If you're using it for school, see about buying either a second battery or the larger one. Especially for those 3 hour classes!!
    4. CPU speed is 1.6GHz, but Intel Core2Duos usually outperform comparable AMD X2's anyway.

Toshiba Notebook:
    1. This notebook is large, from what I can tell about the display. I have a 15.4" laptop right now, and I can actually show you the size difference between my 15.4" and my 13". For school, I personally recommend smaller.
    2. You're going to get more for your money with Toshiba off the bat, especially if you plan on using Vista.

3. Basher

Thanks Izzy. I bought a toshiba and have a 3 year warrenty

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Congrats! <3

Pics of notebook!

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

build you ownnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you know, everyone hates them... but i want a macbook air... realllllly badly.

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Or use an OS that likes you alot.

Macbook Pro ;)

I own a black MacBook and I have to say (had a HP laptop before with Ubuntu), it may be overpriced, but MacOS X is brilliant!

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i dunno why everyone hates macs so much xD

i used them all through middle school and high school, plus using PC's and stuff... so im used to both systems. Macs just seem... simpler?

8. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

My friend's make fun of me for "hating Mac". I kinda flow along with it, but it's not that I hate OSX, not that I hate Apple...I hate the usual stereotype that comes with talking to someone who has one.

I've actually run into a few people who were all haughty about their Macs and it was really tiring. They even started to rip into my laptop (coffee shop cramming FTL) and that's ridiculous.

I'm also not too fond of OSX's way of, "If something's wrong, try restarting and it will magically be cured". LOL. Convenient, but it worries me.

Then there's the people who say, "OSX is the safest OS out there, there's no way to create viruses for it". Wrong, dude. It's just that there was no majority of Apple users for people who write viruses and hacks and such to even bother. Now though, I see more Apple at the place I study at than PC-notebooks. It's just a matter of time. Hell, in the test convention for the MacBook Air...the Air was hacked within 30 minutes, the Windows Notebook took two days and was infected through a third party program...and the Ubuntu machine took the 1st place finish. :D

9. Teddz

Thing is, the MacOS is very convenient for medicore *nix users. Sure, it's easy to handle and seems too "flashy" but it is a stable *nix OS.

And this is coming someone who has used Ubuntu the last 2 years and chose to switch to MacOS :3

However, I still have my old laptop with Ubuntu. It's the sex.

10. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Yeah, I hate admitting it, but OS X is nicely easy to use. Probably more of a "Daily Driver" Operating System that most people think of Windows.

What gets me more is those people who also put down Vista. I bet 90% of the people who say that haven't even touched it. I know that I was one, until I tried out my new laptop. I like Vista. While it's not the be-all-end-all of Windows, they are taking it slightly in OS X's direction by making it more user friendly. I'd guess it's the "hardcore" XP/2000 users who are just plain pissed.

...That said, it takes a HELL of a lot of RAM to run Aero.

11. Teddz

Funny thought though.

Windows = Requires {insert random size of memory} to work which leads automatically to -> More money.

MacOS = Requires {insert abnormal size of MONEY} to buy a machine but works like a sweet baby.

Vista was rushed to the market and was totally unoticed. To be honest, it didn't create that gigantic hype as WinXP did. I do admit that I haven't updated to Vista on my stationary computer for several reasons, mostly hardware related.

And that I don't like Windows anymore. I just don't.

12. Basher

I know nothing. Last I knew was that Mac didn't run all programs. That was ages ago.

And Apple's were for eating kidding. I guess Mac is the term used more now?

Vista doesn't work with a few programs. But it's worked with all that I have liked.

Anyway Laptop pictures. I took them in the future ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Due to the black surface it always collects finger prints, paw prints, and etc. I have to wipe it everyday because my cat likes to walk on it.

But I love it. The size is to big for college but I can't help it. TY for the warning Iz but I just couldn't help myself.

I need to install some codex's to Media Player Classic but it has been ages since I done that. Then I have no excuse to not watch any shows with other then .avi

13. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Actually, I miss larger screens, after having this 13" laptop. Then again, mine does not look more "chic" I guess. =P

14. Basher

where's a pic of yours?

Well in college it has become a pain. Sometimes the laptop has to sit in my lap. But I wouldn't trade it. I deal with that. hehe

I need to get the stuff to hook it up so I can run stuff off my laptop to the tv.