Big bad Virus Alert.

Discussion in 'News' started by Ark, Aug 12, 2003.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

You're running a 2000 computer with less than SP2? Ouch. Talk about leaving the barn doors wide open...

Go over to www.windowsupdate.com for critical updates, like I suggested above. It will scan your computer and show what OS updates are available. Service Packs should show up in there. Be prepared for a big download and install though, if you're not even patched to SP2 yet.

2. Wandering Soul

Wandering Soul New Member

ekk!!now i'm really scared but what kind of damage does it do??

3. UrashimaKeitaro

UrashimaKeitaro Sesquipedalian Mod

Fortunately I keep RPC shut off. However a friend of mine got hit by it, it seemingly came up at random and told him the computer was shutting down in 60 seconds... really annoying... got him twice before we heard about the virus.

-UK

4. Quistis

Quistis New Member

Question?

I formated my computer, so does this mean I have to download the patch again or am I ok? I am like clueless

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

After a clean format and install of your Windows OS, you will need a TON of updates if you plan on staying secure. Yes, you will need to patch again.

6. Quistis

Quistis New Member

My dad saw the news and he said that they caught the person who made this.....oh so wonderful viruse :rolleyes:

It was made by some guy from Minasota who is 18. Lives in his room and has 7 computers.

7. Havikar

Havikar New Member

Lol i live in minnesota ^_^ hopkins where they found him is like 5 min away from where i live. lol if i knew i would of found him and beat the crap out of him

8. Roffey

Roffey I'm As Free As A Bird Now

they found the sender of Blaster.B he modified the virus.

9. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

my favourite method for determining what version of windows I am running (as if I didn't know) is Start button->Run->winver (type winver in the run dialog)

Luckily(?), my comp with windows server 2003 is not hooked up to the internet at the moment. Patched it already so nothing happens when I finally get it on again (need a wirelessLAN card. Just been too lazy to buy it heh)

10. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

Well, we just bought a new PC, and after few hours of using it a message appeared:
    Kame told me it probably is the virus, any idea why this appears?? I am going to run an update anyway..

It's WinXP btw..

Sorry I kind of needed the answer to the above post pretty fast, and about that Ark, isn't that virus counts down for a shutdown the minute you open you PC?? :confused: How will people be able to d/l that antivirus??