Video Games BJP Video Game Jam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BakaMattSu, Apr 20, 2005.

?

Would you participate in Boards.Jp Gaming?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Just a quick polling of the members, if I may. ^^

I know the subject has been brought up a few times on the boards and never seriously followed up on, but if Boards.Jp organized a little gaming get together, would you attend?

We of course would need to decide on something the majority would enjoy, as the purpose of such an event would be to have fun with our other board members. Also, because of our globe-spanning, timing would also be a crucial thing to work out.

Perhaps those that cast a vote could also bring out opinions or suggestions regarding a possible gaming session?

2. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I think that tis is a great idea, it would help alot. But my question is, what kind of games are we talking about here? Or, what games are allowed, or not allowed? I think this info would help for future idea contributors.

-Seishin

3. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

I only focus on pc online gaming so count me out if you are talking consoles.

As for types of game. The easiest genre would be FPS...

For starters I will list out FPS games I have installed:

- Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield
    - Rainbow Six 3: Athena Sowrd
    - Return to Castle Wolfenstin: Enemy Territory
    - Hidden & Dangerous 2
    - Star Wars: Battlefront

- Shen

1 person likes this.
  4. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

It's very open ended at this point, but obviously restricted to what participants have available to them. Feel free to suggest things from your own collection you would consider - it should be easy to look at the commonly listed games and pick out one that works.

Perhaps choosing something freely available like the ever-popular Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory could be chosen for those who don't own many games.

I'd personally have a blast with members on Star Wars Battlefront, Worms Armageddon, X-Wing Alliance or No One Lives Forever 2. I'm pretty rusty at Jedi Academy and Call of Duty, but they'd be fun too. Or a strategy game like the omnipotent Starcraft or one of the Ages would be fine in a pinch.

5. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I say we make console games an open suggestion as well. Some titles i would suggest are:

Halo 2 (X-Box)
    Mortal Kombat: Deception (PS2)
    DOA Ultimate (X-Box)
    Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory (PS2)
    Star Wars Battlefront (PS2)

[edit]Preferences added.[/edit]

Also, it'd be fun if like every now and then, we had like some sort of tournaments or something.....

-Seishin
    PS: Would X-Box games be played on X-Box LIVE, or through LAN on X-Box Connect, or osme other program?

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

[B.JP] - The new Wolfenstein ET clan!

Anyhow, I prefer StarCraft as the possible gaming, or maybe MMORPG :)

- Teddz

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Oooh...there's an interesting suggestion. ^^

As for PC/Console, when making your suggestion - be sure to clarify which you prefer. There's no reason there can't be two groups forming if some are limited to which type they can participate in. If it isn't obvious enough, I'm in the PC camp.

8. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

If it will be something interesting and entertaining, yes, why not :)

I am not an expert in games, especially PC or online ones, so as long as its fun to play I'll participate ^^

9. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

I remember asking people about a group online gaming thing a year or so ago. But that idea kind of fell apart and ended in the back pages somewhere. It really would be nice if we could get one underway this time.

Being a pc gamer focusing in the FPS section, Wolfenstein: ET is a definate candidate for the simple reason of it being absolutely free. Teddz suggestion of [B.JP] clan sounds pretty cool as well :)

We could look at strategy games as well, I have Cossacks and Sudden Strike... but there're the only 2.

- Shen

10. Nightmare

Nightmare Chaos Rules

Im all for this.

11. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I'd be interested. I could re-install Starcraft and we could have a go at that. Other than that, though, I'm kinda deprived of games to play. I never was a big fan of online gaming, but, for you guys, I'd make an exception. :) You'd probably all beat me, though. :p

[EDIT] 1500 posts!

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Ideas

-Guild Wars (MMORPG, no monthly charge)
    -Halo 2 (Xbox)
    -Starcraft
    -Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate (Xbox)
    -Wolfenstein ET
    -Navyfield
    -Gunbound
    -Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War

1 person likes this.
  13. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Halo/2
    Mortal Kombat: Deception
    Wolfenstein
    Ninja Gaiden
    Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Gunbound

Ehh...thats all i can think of for now. I wrote them as i remembered them, so I will probably come out with more later. And if this doesen't show that I'm for the idea, i dont know what can.

- Kaiyon

14. Teddz

Counter-strike anyone? :-D

I personally consider games that are playable on PC. Reason? Well, it's obivious that most games on that platform has the most online game. Good old Quake 3 ? Unreal Tournament ?

- Teddz

15. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

I like Shens idea to get some kind of gaming channel open for some games, i think that would be a good laugh. But we would need to be able to set up a time for people to play, and tis can be different depending on where people are living, but it seems to work for the people on Boards.ie in the Unreal section. It might be worth setting up a channel, if we can get somebody to host it.

Wouldn't mind a game of Counter Strike with some new people, god knows i'm tired of getting kicked around with the guys from college (that doesn't mean you can underestimate me ;)). Also a few games of Unreal Tournament and my beloved ET wouldn't go amiss either.

1 person likes this.
  16. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I'd be up for this, I hope to get Guild Wars soon. Others I have are X-wing Alliance, SW Battlefront, Neverwinter Nights. I'm sure I could get Jedi Academy for pretty cheap too..

How about Renegade? And maybe Need for Speed Underground - the first one isn't too expensive to buy.

17. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Out of the mentioned games, SW: Battlefront and Wolfenstein: ET seems to be the more popular ones... But considering Wolf: ET is absolutely free to download, it is probably sensible to make it B.JP's first group game.

So... how about stating one's avaliabilty for this gaming session?

Unfortunately, I am stuck with exams and revision for the next month or so meaning I can't really get into this until it's all over. However I can go Friday and Saturday evenings no problem (18.00 - 00.00 GMT).

Meanwhile (unless there are other suggestions), It is probably good to start downloading Wolf: ET. It is about 300-400mbs if I remember correctly.

- Shen

18. Teddz

250 mb, or so. Update the game and we can start our own servers!

(I really need to replay that game again...)

- Teddz

19. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Same here, i haven't plaied it in about a year, and i'm also in the same situation as Shen with exams looming ever closer. But if i can get a break from it all then i'll see if i can drop in for a quick game.