Music Black/Death Metal

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

Trey (guitarist from Morbid Angel) is excellent, thats why Morbid Angel isn't to stereotypical in the Death Metal genre. A lot of them are GOOD but not EXCELLENT. I'm actually more into the technical death metal nowadays like:

Meshuggah (Polymeter fest)-Album: Destroy Erase Improve
    Cynic (Jazz Fusion and Death Metal combined)-Album: Focus
    Death(Time Signature crazyness)-Album: Human
    Atheist(all of those combined)-Album: Unquestionable Presence.

Any of those bands put most generic death metal to shame. These bands do musically original things plus they have original sounds to them. You already know Meshuggah so I'll describe the others better. Cynic is the best of the four in my opinion. They have a nice jazzy sound with some unconventional riffs. Death is a heavy band with lots of wiild time changes. If you like drumming listen to them. Atheist is like a funky Cynic. They are a jazzish band but without Cynic's ambience. My screen name is Metropolis1203 if you want to talk more about it.

2. + annovachan +

+ annovachan + New Member

thank you for that plethora of information!

but tell me; what do you think about power metal?

3. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

Power metal is generally poor. Blind Guardian is great though, but most of the other bands are pretty repetitive. Stratovarius is an example of Abominable Metal. Pathetic lyrics, same tempo throughout the whole song and each album is just like the last. Blind Guardian is the one power metal band everyone should check out.

4. Angel from hell

Angel from hell New Member

My friend Ger tried getting me into that, suffice to say he failed... now if i can only remember the band name *Thinks*

5. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

well personally, i like power metal. It reminds me of the old metal sound.
    I dont prefer it over death/black/goth metal though. Its just an alternative that i think is pretty cool and different. Hammer Fall And Blind Guardian are among my favorites in the power genre. There really arent many power metal bands out there. Even of those, not many are all that great, as Meshuggah has said.

What do you think of speed metal?

--I have mixed feelings about it, its not my favorite style, but its okay to listen to.

6. Dr. Nick Rivera

Dr. Nick Rivera New Member

Children of Bodom owns j00. No questions asked. Personally, I only like Blind Guardian in the Power metal section, and I can speak for Meshuggah too: he only likes them. And Edguy. And Manowar. He looooooves Power Metal. Don't deny it.

7. Angel from hell

That was the name of the buggers... wasnt all too impressed im affraid

8. Dr. Nick Rivera

Haha, well, I was joking. He hates power metal outside of Blind Guardian.

So....how about...um....My Dying Bride?

9. HimuraKenshin

HimuraKenshin New Member

wow this is the first forum i've been to where i can talk about some good music!!! alright first u should all listen to the following (they're not in any order except wat cd i pick up off my floor first):

1.cky (camp kill yourself)
    2.slipknot
    3.anti-flag
    4.linken park (even though they're not black metal)
    5.soad (system of a down)
    and that's all i'm gonna list cause i'm lazy

10. Dr. Nick Rivera

...where to start....
    None of that is black/death metal, CKY is just rock, Slipknot is Abominable metal(i.e. nu-metal), Anti-Flag is punk, Linkin Park is rap-metal, Soad is nu-metal......

And I'm not fond of any of them.

11. Angel from hell

Oh i remember the days when people argued that slipknot were death metal... twas a sad day indeed.

& my dying bride... aint heard of them, any specific songs?

12. Dr. Nick Rivera

Pfft, Slipknot is like, the antithesis to death metal.

As for My Dying Bride, try "A Sea To Suffer In". I don't have too much of their stuff, but I plan to buy one of their cds sometime soon.

13. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

I love when people say to me "You like death metal, right" I'll say yes and they say I need to hear Slipknot. I just say I've heard them. They aren't Death Metal nothing they do resembles it at all. I like Mudvayne though (people often compare them). Mudvayne piss all over Slipknot, Mudvayne use polyrythms complex time signatures and have a bassist that kills most modern rock bassists (with the exception of Les Claypool). Too bad most people associate them with NU metal.

As for My Dying Bride try these songs

The Crown of Sympathy
    Turn Loose The Swans
    The Cry of Mankind
    A Sea To Suffer In
    Your Shameful Heaven
    The Light At The End of The World
    Sear Me III
    The Raven and The Rose

That's a good start. Most of the songs are 6-12 minutes but all are great.

14. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

:bleed2: :bleed:
    God. . . . i am really sorry but i hate it when people do this. There are so many people like you at my school. They think they are hard core metal heads when in reality are nothing but people who followed the "Punkish" trend, are posers, and listen to the most known "metal/rock" bands on MTV that pose a gothic or punk image to all their listeners (like Good Charolet or anyone of those new "punk" bands out there).

Then people like you go around dressing like they're gothic and telling people they are gothic and making a mockery of Metal. Those bands that you have listed are the classic "i think i am a gothic" bands. None of those are even close to Death Metal or Black Metal . . . the clostest one is Slipnot. . .which i suppose is heavy metal. . . .then again not even that. The others are not even worthy of mentioning. I got you dead on right?!
    -I rest my case
    :anger2: >.<

~Once again i apoligize for this if it sounds so rude.

----As for my My Dying Bride i would suggest The Raven and The Rose out of those songs, there is something about it that i like. All the rest of the songs that meshuggah has mention are awesome as well.

15. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

Is anyone a big fan of Death? They are at the forfront of Progressive Death Metal. Too bad Chuck passed away. Human is a disc everyone should check out.

16. Angel from hell

Out of all those suggestions the only song KaZaA has is "The crown of sympathy" so i'll see how it goes when it's done.

0o ... Go Jaken! looks like you just popped your rant cherry ^^

But lay off System of a down... may have went down hill but they had there moments (I dont consider them nu metal... well they are but compared to others there not... :S wait ive confused myself ) , despite shouldnt have been mentioned on this thread at all in the first place

17. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Yeah lol . . . .thats one of the things that always makes me mad. Once someone gets me onto that subject. . . oh boy. . . ^^;; Its just one of those things that i have a great big ball of burning hatred toward. :anime:

*wispers* ((i have to confesss i did have a small liking for one of System's songs. . . Chopsuey. -_- but the rest i utterly hate o_o)) dont tell anyone. . .^_~

18. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

I've been listening to a lot of ULVER lately and it is real good. It is black metal with Norwegian folk acoustic music. His new stuff is electronic but it is just as good.

19. Meshuggah

Meshuggah New Member

Yeah I know it's a double post but this is something different than what i previously posted. Has anyone else heard Nile? They are real good. Egyptian music with blistering death metal. I urge all of you to check them out.

20. Dr. Nick Rivera

Well, you did wait like, a good two weeks, so it doesn't really qualify as a double post. Well, it kinda does.

Anyways, I've heard some Nile. They're OK.