One Piece BMS' One Piece Journey

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by BakaMattSu, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

There was a thread at one point where we tracking my progress through viewing of this anime. I had never followed it from the start, so catching up to the present was going to take some serious viewing. My main consideration for doing so was that of the three currently long-running series (the others being Bleach and Naruto), it's the title I've heard the most positive things from.

Things I've heard have been the following:
    -Strong character development
    -A snowball effect story, where it takes a while to pick up at the start, but once it does, it has built upon all that came before to its betterment
    -Consistency with characters and strength rankings (the antithesis of DBZ-syndrome)
    -Well done filler, to the point where filler is either unnoticeable to the casual viewer or even well done

So, I've been sort of half-heartedly chronicling my journey as someone who is lagging about 12 years behind everyone else. My own experience with the series hasn't yet found anything too incredible yet (although I've been told repeatedly that it takes until a certain story arc to really take hold).

Current progress: Sanji introduction arc.

Next I'll see what of my previous opinions I can recollect and current thoughts on individual characters and the series as a whole.

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

Sanji's Arc has it's moments. As far as One Piece arcs go, I'd give it a 6/10, which is to say, it's not bad at all.

I'm curious to see what you think as you do progress.

~W

3. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I can see what you're saying about the DBZ-syndrome, Oda Eichiro apparently grew up watching Dragonball and was a big fan. Actually, he and Akira Toriyama did a manga together for One Piece's 10th anniversary: http://orendsrange.blogspot.com/2011/01/cross-epoch-manga-review.html.

I didn't mind the Sanji arc, however what seemed to grab my attention the most was the Crocodile arc.

I've personally been at a stand-still with One Piece, having stopped reading the manga or watching the anime for nearly three years now. I just need a good chunk of time to sit down to catch up.

4. wertitis

Croc's arc was good too. I forgot about Arabasta.

Let's see, three years, so you jumped ship around the Thriller Bark arc, yeah? They've had a few pretty interesting developments since. I still enjoy it. Eichiro hasn't let me down yet.

A real generic response, I know, but I can't give anything away in case Matt hops onto this train.

~W

5. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I plan on making my son sit down and watch with me Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. (Maybe DBZ).

I left off on the mermaid island one on the manga. How far is the anime now? Don't tell me that its over. ..

I liked all the arcs were the characters were introduced the most. My favorite was Zoro of course.

6. wertitis

What's the word, Matt? Made any progress?

~W

7. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Just finished the whole Sanji/Baratie arc and starting to see some overall improvements. The last three fights have been more than the simple one-shot KOs the previous showdowns have been to this point, but they're still...I want to say, a bit unrefined, like the production team/writer is still finding their way?

Krieg vs Luffy could have been a little more abridged. Too many unecessary pans and swipes to the reactions of the onlookers that serve nothing but to lengthen the duration of the encounter. I feel like I would have enjoyed it more if they didn't cheaply draw it out. Sanji vs Gin just before that was probably the best for me thus far.

I dunno...the overall pacing feels a notch too slow as well. Episode 30 felt like a slog because I knew exactly what was going to happen and it took its sweet time to do it. Thus far, I'm thinking some abridging would be improvement.

Still, I'm optimistic. With introductions out of the way, I'm hoping the pace will now improve.

8. wertitis

Nami's Arc?

[​IMG]

I'm so excited.

~W

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Update: I believe I'm almost through Nami's arc (Luffy is currently squaring off with Arlong, everyone else mostly out of commission) now and can add some more constructive thoughts now.

First, the improvements keep coming. This arc has certainly been the most entertaining so far.

Nami's back-story was the best done to date and generated actual sympathy from me for the character. She feels like the deepest of the crew for me right now, with Zoro and Sanji probably close behind. I sitll need to warm up to Luffy and Usopp is nothing short of annoying.

Arlong is probably the best done villain in the series of what I've seen thus far and can't wait to see him get his due.

The battles still seems to drag its feet with cliche "oohs" and "ahhs" between attacks, but having the mermen in the mix made for more dynamic fighting. Stuff was over the top but enjoyable. Once the fighting started, I'd blitzed through a half dozen episodes before I knew it. I wanted to see what the next crew-mate's style was and was in suspense for Luffy's predicament, although I'm still lukewarm towards Usopp (kudos for taking down the merman, but you still haven't won me over).

We'll see how this arc wraps up, but I'm certain I'm on board to see what happens next.

10. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Come to think of it after reading this the battles did have the tendency to be dragged out. I fast forward it when this happened. When my kid watches will leave the room. Usopp isn't my favorite character either. He does get better then worse then better. Just one of those I guess.

Keep us posted. ^_^ So far I have seen this arc.

11. wertitis

Usopp annoyed me until Water 7, where he became slightly less irritating because of one battle (anyone who's seen it will remember it). Later on, his fight on Thriller Bark became the best fight in the entire arc, imo. At that point, I actually enjoyed him as a character.

You might have a ways to go. Still, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Don't worry about Luffy. He's an idiot, but he's awesome.

~W

Basher likes this.
  12. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

When you do get to Luffy's actual back story waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay later on, it's kind of sweet and sad. And yeah Wert, that Water 7 fight was the most hilarious and awesome thing ever. Skipped to the manga once we caught the anime up a year ago. Need to find somewhere to catch up the show, but loving the current manga arc. Hell, Nami has even become awesome. Same with Usopp, hell it's weird how he is now. Though it's a good weird. And Sanji no longer annoys me, he needed that island to happen to him. Mwahahhaha