Art body wrong

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tetsuo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Soz, on an internet cafe and running out of time. I just drew this girlie and i can't figure out whats wrong with it..it just doesnt look right. i dont want to start adding clothing untill i get the body right. help.

Attached Files:

2. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Hmmn... Well, one thing that is very noticeable with the illustration is the build of the body itself, it looks sturdy and masculine. You did get the proportion of the body right, but from the shoulders down to the hips and legs, it looks like a male body. Don't worry, you can refine this by simply adjusting a few things.

First, try to make the shoulders look more relaxed and narrower.

Second, make the hips a bit wider and rounder (it is a known fact that women's hips are wider than men's).

Third, adjust the thigh muscle a bit higher and make the legs look slim and slender to get that delicate girly look. ;) You can also make the arms a bit slimmer to make the character look very delicate as a shoujo body should be :)

I hope my tips help you in improving your drawing :cool:

3. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Ah, thanks for the tip, my eyes are a bit more open thanks to you.So i made a ladyboy :D
    I actually took a picture of myself for reference with the arms so i guess i forgot to slim down the muscle :eek: But i find it hard slim the body parts down without making it look like a twig. Oh well, practice, practice..

The thigh is longer than the rest of the leg then? i thought i read from somewhere that the two parts are the same lenght. Oh well, lots of crap info out there i guess. But yea, looking at the legs now, i see the point.

About the hip, i thought that the hip is the same lenght with the torso. So how much wider is it? Two heads wide ?

Oh, and do you mean by making the shoulders more relaxed and narrower that i should lift the slope higher that connects the head and shoulder ?

Sorry also again about that first post. I really had like 30secs left before the storekeeper kicked me out so i didn't really have time to write very much :)

4. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Anatomy infos

hmn... Well, you can try to lose some muscle lumps to make the body look a bit more slender.

No, what you have read is correct, the thigh is the same length as the rest of the leg. One of the major differences in male and female bodies are the thigh muscles, female thigh muscles are on the upper thigh and the male thigh muscle is on the lower part. I did a little illustration to show you what I meant.

[​IMG]

(forgive the crudity of my work I just worked on this while I was having coffie :eek:)

Umm... It depends on the artist's drawing techniques, I guess. But in my over all analysis on how manga artists draw female body in general is that the hips are a bit wider than the shoulder. Unlike in the male body the shoulders stick out and the hips are slimmer.

[​IMG]

It depends on what you are trying to draw, if you are going for the "bishoujo" look, I suggest you make the shoulders slope a little lower and more curved, avoid muscle lumps on the area where the shoulder and arms meet (as shown on the image on the left). But if you are going for the athletic look, you can make the shoulder muscle lump a bit bigger to make a more masculine female body.

[​IMG]

*One more trick to make the shoulders look relaxed, instead of drawing a straigh line from the neck to the arms, try to make it curve slightly down.

I hope this answers some of your questions ;)

5. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Whoa, thanks a lot for the help. I didn't expect you to put that much effort into it, much appreciated!

It must be the foot part of the leg that makes the lower part of the leg seem a bit longer. I slimmed the body down and it looks better now, i'm still not satisfied with it, but with any luck and the help i got from you, i'll figure it out.

Umm, you said it's about different drawing techniques with the hip? Cos i just think the bum looks massive if the hips are wider than the shoulder.
    So it's still anatomically wrong if i leave it a tad slimmer than what it should be?

Cheers!

EDIT: Well, i tried to slim it down a bit and i think it looks a bit better now, however doesn't the pelvic area look a bit big now? i did as you suggested and made it a bit wider. Maybe i should slim down the muscle on the legs a bit more ? Feel free to draw changes that should be made on the pic. it's usually easier to understand whats wrong if it's shown rather than explained.
    I think i have the chest too low, i feel like it should be higher.
    Also, does anyone know an easy way of doing the hands? im pulling my hair off with them.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

6. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Waist, Hips and Legs

Hmnn.... I think you really do need to slim down the legs...

To tell you honestly one of the hardest part I have ever encountered in drawing manga are the legs, if you do them right they look great, but if you do them wrong, they look huge! :eek:

The problem seems to be the way how you did the lines that connect the waist and the hips, it suddenly bulged up, and the crotch area is a bit high. I prepared a little something to show you how the waist hips and legs are related.

It depends on the artist about how they want their character to look. There are some artists who prefer to make their female characters with huge rears :p, but there are some who prefer to make their female characters with small ones ;). Changing the rear (or bum) size of the female character can also add an age effect, for example, you want your character to look young like a teenager, you can draw her rear a bit slim (the illustration on the left), and if you would like to make her look in her mid 20's you can draw her rear a bit wider to make a more curved seductive mature look (the illustration on the right).

[​IMG]

Take a closer look at the illustrations; you will notice that the difference in the width of the hips and the shoulders are not so noticeable and yet they both look fairly normal. The width of the hips depends on the artists themselves on how they want the hips (or bum) to work with their own drawing style, as for me I normally draw my female characters with wider hips and I can say it works fine for me :)

The breast is in the right area, but the waist and hips got a bit off, because the hips suddenly bulged out making the legs look like they were just slapped into the body, try to make the transition from the waist to the hips a bit smoother, or you can use my illustrations as examples (though they are not that perfect :p) I hope it will give you an idea of what I mean. As for the hands, that’s another topic, I’ll see what I can do to simplify the mind bending complexity of how to draw the hands :mad:.

7. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Well it's still not good enough but i'm on the right track right? I wasn't really expecting the legs to be this hard to do, bit supprised about that.

Attached Files:

8. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

That is a very marked improvement from your original sketch (not that I have ANY talent at drawing but I make a great critic). My only suggestion would be to make her right hip more like her left hip. Her left side looks great but her right hip area seems a bit deformed in proportion to the rest of her body.

But still, 1000x better then I could have drawn.

9. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

You are doing fine and I think you are improving compared with the first illustration you did :cool:

I must admit, it's not that easy at first believe me :p, but later on you'll get the hang of it ;)

the noticeable thing is like what artemis836 said, you could try to make the right hip look a bit more like the left hip, and all is good! :D

One more tip, in drawing the thigh, the thigh is more like a odd shaped oblong. Take a look at the illustration I made, First I measure the length of the body then I use that as a basis for how long the thigh will be. Then I draw two circles, as you can see, the circle that connects the thigh to the lower body is bigger than the circle that connects the thigh to the lower leg. The bigger circle will be the joint that connects the thigh to the lower body, while the small circle becomes the knee that connects the thigh and the lower leg.

[​IMG]

Also, to make the figure look a bit more feminine, try to draw the knees close together instead of drawing the leg straight down. You can use my illustration as reference for this and try to make out what I mean :eek:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps you in your quest to perfect you illustration, I'm afraid that I might complicate things a bit more :p

I took the liberty of making my own version of your illustration. I used the techniques I have written before and try to compare and improve the parts you need to work on :eek: Good Luck!! ;)

[​IMG]

10. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Did you redue it again?

I noticed it slowly improving.

11. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Nnn...NOOOO! i kind of gave it a rest for awhile because i was getting a bit frustrated with it, but then started to try again and once i felt like i had it just right.. i mean it looked still crude, but the basic form looked as it should. I even had quite a few other body poses in there that i was extremely happy with and then the bloody hard-drive explodes on me. GOD whyyy! T^T

12. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

That just sucks, Tetsuo. I really feel for you.

I hope it doesn't discourage you - you were definitely showing improvement.

13. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Cheers Bakamattsu. It really does suck. But yeah, i don't really like giving up untill im satisfied with the result so i'm going to continue with it as soon as i get back home from Japan.

14. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Everyone sucks then with practice they get better.

Post your work after you do it.

15. b-tuvs

b-tuvs Member

Faifaito!!!

Tetsuo-kun FAITO! :D

Yeah, I understand how it feels, even I suck when I started to learn how to draw, but with constant practice you will definitely master the art of Manga. Keep practicing, doodle whenever you feel like drawing, always carry a clean notebook and a pencil with you, you don't know when and where inspiration will hit you ;) At times it may feel frustrating, but don't give up! As they say in animes "FAITO!" :cool:

16. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

This tutorial was actually really helpful, and I say thank you kindly for it. <33

17. child of sin

child of sin ★★★★☆

get your ass back and work on it tetsuo:anger2: im verry sure u gonna show a shocking results:)
    1 thing for me to say though, dont do corrections on the same drawing, start a new one ever time you feel like its not there yet, withthte best of luck:D

18. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Cheers C.O.S, i will, i will. Only a couple of weeks left in Tokyo :sad:
    Good point there to start on a new project, i think you're right. But i also do want to finish what i have allready started, such as this pic because it seems to be really hard oddly. Once i get it to look how i want it to. The feeling is awesome.

offtopic: Do theyactually say that in some anime other than Chobits?

Hey, that was my 300th post. God im a slow poster. Been around for what...six years now lol

19. AsIaNgUrL

AsIaNgUrL ~*☆Dream AsIaNgUrL☆*~

I believe that either way u've drawn it is fine. Women comes is many shapes and many forms. The real issue here is deciding on which way you want others to view ur female character as. For example, you should try to draw several female bodies of your own style, lets say about 6. Then start adjusting changes to each of them making one very skinny, the other fat, the other normal, the other athletic, the other a bit chubby, the other with very small breast or big breasts. Also take in consideration that if one part of the body changes the other part does too. Big breasted women tend to have a shorter torso than a small breasted women. bigger hips suggest smaller waist unless u want to add a few pounds to her lol. arms and shoulders, ahh thats a difficult one but not impossible. shoulders should extend out of the head boundaries, just slightly. depending on which kind of girl u are trying to achieve the shape of the shoulders and the length and height will change accordingly. For example, a skinny girl having less muscle and body fat will most likely have the shoulder slighter higher than the normal body type. her bones will be revealed more in this instance making the shoulder a sharper look and a bit curved and not slanted down straightly. for a normal body shoulder, muscle builds around bones more than u think. making the shape fuller and smooth. Legs can also be tricky, inner thighs can me drawn inward, outward. Slim women have it inwards, normal to chubby have it inward then outward, fat women have it outward and athletic have it bigger than normal girls but in a stiffer shape and tight. i may be wrong but this is wat i think.
    U have improved bit by bit, i'm sure u will get to the point of liking ur own style and sticking to it. Keep it up!

20. Tetsuo

Tetsuo New Member

Hey Asiangurl! Been a while huh? happy to see you're still here. Thanks for the post, that's a lot of usefull information there. Now i just need to get my computer from the storage i left it in a year ago and get into it.