Anime Bokurano

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Baphijmm, May 15, 2011.

1. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

In the time since I last visited what had been at that time Boards.Jp, I've seen quite a lot of anime; such is both the blessing and the curse of being the president of a college anime club. I saw a lot of material I personally would consider bad, including what felt like the end of the industry itself as many new series hit on what I'm sure felt to industry insiders like "tried and true" cliches that became so absolutely typical of anime that genuine creativity became nearly impossible to find.

That's not to say, of course, that I didn't find that occasional hidden gem. Being responsible for creating a good line-up of shows to watch at weekly meetings brought me face to face with many wonderful shows, all of which completely blew me out of the water. Many were hideously under-rated, and most are presently impossible to find in the United States outside of the internet thanks to the aforementioned collapse of the industry in this country.

As I am presently bogged down with obligations outside the internet, I cannot write a write-up like this very often; however, it is my intention to write up something about one of these shows as often as I can. (I hope this is okay!) This installment, I intend to look at a show I first encountered back in... I think 2008.

I am puzzled by the truth that slips through my hands
    even as I cover my ears.
    Where in this thin body do I find the strength to stand?
    UNINSTALL! UNINSTALL!
    I was told that I am just one of the countless specks of dust on this planet,
    But that is something I cannot yet comprehend.
    UNINSTALL! UNINSTALL!
    I have no choice but to pretend that I am a warrior who knows no fear.
    UNINSTALL!

~"Uninstall", Chiaki Ishikawa (Translated)​

Bokurano (translation: Ours) is a 24-episode series that aired on several Japanese networks, including SUN-TV, Tokyo MX TV, TV Aichi, and TV Kanagawa, during the Summer of 2007. Animated by Gonzo and directed by Hiroyuki Morita (The Cat Returns), the anime was based on a manga serialized in the magazine Ikki written by Mohiro Kitoh. (For the record, the manga was published in Japan by Shogakukan, and later published in the States by Viz Media.)

Fifteen children are attending a summer camp on a small island. It's been a week already, and many have formed small friendships with their companions; others, more introverted for one reason or another, have not, preferring to keep to themselves. While playing on a beach waiting for their dinner call, the fireworks they were planning on setting off get damaged by water, spurning them to find something else to do to occupy their time. Stumbling across a grotto, they decide to investigate a little ways, agreeing to turn back if it starts looking dangerous or too dark to progress.

Just as they prepare to turn back, they notice a light further in the cavern. Someone has set up camp in this secluded location, including a surprisingly large entourage of computer equipment. The older man introduces himself as a game designer by the name of Kokkopelli, and asks if the children would like to volunteer to try out a new game he's been working on. The premise, he says, is that they'd be pilots of a giant black robot to save their city from an invading force. Perhaps a little reluctantly, they all agree eventually, following through with a seemingly silly "initiation" wherein they must register by placing their palm on a podium and announce their names in turn.

Very suddenly, the children wake up outside on the beach they'd just been playing on as though it had all been a dream. Of course, they all recalled the events, making such an explanation unlikely. The sky turning dark, they all decide to return to the main cabin for food. As they do so, however, they spot something strange beginning to materialize over the water - a giant robot. It fully materializes and falls to the ground, sending shock waves with its weight. Another robot begins to materialize, and just as suddenly as before, the children find themselves in a room.

This room has a circle of varying types of chairs, one of which occupied by Kokkopelli. He tells them that this is very real, but he has the opportunity to show them exactly how to pilot the robot for the first fight. He wins, defeating the opponent with what seems like relative ease, and they again find themselves on the ground below.

Completely unsure as to what's going on, the children decide to keep this their secret; however, as they begin to pilot Zearth - the robot - they begin to discover its horrifying secrets. The impish, sardonic creature that seems bound to the robot. The way the chairs reset for them, each taken from a very specific, memorable location in each of their lives. And the fact that, after each battle, the pilot dies.

This is only the beginning; will these children be able to withstand the intense psychological burdens, especially for what they don't even know about? Who will crack under the pressure? Will they be able to "uninstall" this game before it's too late?

If you ever wanted a treatise on the human condition in times of adversity, this right here is it. When I first saw descriptions of this show, I decided to give it a shot because it sounded a lot like Neon Genesis Evangelion, still one of my favorite series to this date; however, I think this one might actually have surpassed it on my list. Instead of focusing on the psychological issues of one child fighting to save a world he doesn't like, Bokurano takes the viewer through the trials of fifteen children, their families and friends, and the world around them. It may not be as focused, but the plot is every bit as engaging and psychotic.

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

This has been the place I've been in for the past two years or so. Things I once would have found unique and appealing to the anime genre have been overplayed to the extent where I find most modern anime derivative and obviously playing to the crowd. It's a completely sane move considering truly radical material is an extremely risky investment. There are similar ripples in the video game industry where truly innovative titles are usually left to the indie developers while the big names crank out "The Next Big FPS Part 6". I simply grin and bear it - after all, there are reasons why popular items remain popular. While I crave something unique in my experiences, the fact of matter is that the population at large loves those familiar articles and experiences and wouldn't have it any other way.

It's more than okay - it's encouraged. I, for one, will be looking forward to hearing more about the gems you've happened upon. There are an incredible bulk of titles these days and while it's quite easy to skim the crust and find all the popular titles, those obscure underrated ones are usually what interest me most. Short of having myself a digital pot-pourri, I relish well thought out and opinionated write ups such as what you've done right here with Bokurano.

Thanks for taking the time out to share with us, and hopefully we'll being seeing much more to come!