BotP board roll-call!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Hey guys, it's sure been quite awhile. I can't remember the last time I posted on the board, but like many of you I suppose I constantly lurk around the board at least a couple of times a week looking for some signs of life yet not having much to say myself. Figured I should break the ice though.

I just wrapped up my second semester of community college and narrowly avoided getting kicked out (as ridiculous as that sounds, long story........) and am now enjoying my summer break and trying to make the best of it.

As for the Gatchaman/BotP/G-Force front, ADV has been on-spot with their bi-monthly releases of their Gatchaman dub, both in single volumes and boxsets. It's almost been a year since they started their release (I should know, I got the first two volumes a day before street date, cleverly hidden behind many DVD's. :) ) and they should be finishing up the first series by the end of the year I believe. What they'll do next other than possibly re-release the series in a more streamlined and budget-priced package (a.k.a "thinpak" release, which is what I would spring for considering I still only own the first two volumes and don't have the money or space for the rest of the series) is anybody's guess. Who knows if they'll license II & Fighter.............

On the Rhino front well........nothing new here ever since they released the last BotP boxset and the G-Force compilation DVD. They might as well give up on releasing BotP while they're still at it: more or less half of the series' episodes have been released over the span of 5 years. G-Force will continue to be dead in the water I guess. ADV's Anime Network is currently sitting on the airing rights to it and it has flat out disappeared ever since BotP was brought into AN's fold. I'm still on square one myself as far as acquiring GoS goes as well after all this time.

Wow, I've realized its been more than two years since I became reaquainted with GoS and educated myself about the Gatchaman universe. Shortly after I joined this board and made my debut with my first of many long threads (like this one!) about GoS. The rest is history as they say.

So guys, stop by and let's get reaquianted huh?

2. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

Well I have finally finished the Austrailan set of BOTP...This is a great set..Has many extras that u don't see on the US and UK DVDs...Although most of the interviews are the same. The main thing is that down under, they had a different running order of BOTP. Its cool to watch it in that order. It took months to get the set together, but its worth it.

As for ADV, I hope they dub Gatchaman the Movie and then start with Gatchaman 2 and Gatchaman Fighter. We will just have to wait. As you guys might know, they did make a series called the Eagle Riders, which is the edited English version of Gatch 2 and F.

Thankx
    Billy

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

How weird is this...I was coming here this morning to do this exact thing. That's a perfect example of the power of mental attraction at work.

I'm still working my job, although a new home-based business that I started is going to propel me to financial independence. The last thing I want is my kids to be brought up in daycare, so that is my inspiration. By this time next year, both my wife and I will be permanently at home. I can't wait.

The Sandy Frank website is gone. I don't know what that means for the company, but the site was never updated. I'm a webmaster and it killed me to see it in such bad shape. They should have hired me to shape it up! I don't know where this leaves the status of BotP, either. Three years ago things couldn't be better. Now, except for airings on The Anime Network--and who knows how long that will last--I don't think there is anything out there. I don't even get TAN. I wish it would go back to Boomerang, along with the Superfriends, which I do get.

I'd love for a DVD English dub release of Gatchaman II and Fighter. I don't a care to own them, but I'll definitely Nexflix them...especially that Gatch II episode that has a guest appearance by the original Phoenix. I have that on tape, in Japanese. I wouldn't mind seeing Eagle Riders come out, also...only saw a few episodes when it originally aired in the mid 90s. And if for nothing more than Dirk's sanity, I hope more GoS is released. :)

Hey Gatch72...is there a website where the Aussie BotP DVDs can be ordered? I have the UK boxed set, but what you mentioned seems better. Are they individual releases or in a boxed set? Thanks.

Mark

4. Harry

Harry New Member

Hi guys,

I lurk arond here occaisonally just to see if theres anything happening (which more often than not there isn't!!!!)

I'm still only on volume 3 of the ADV stuff (where does all my time go), love it and will get around to watching the whole lot at some point in my life - still got a few years left in me yet! I've got all the recent action figures and am almost tempted to unwrap them and let me son play with them although he is only 2 so better wait for a bit.

On a who am I front - I'm in the UK near London, sell for a living (wanna buy anything??) and in my office I occaisonally break out into Ning Chong Ning Chong Ning Chong!!??!! and people now join in with the song!!!!

BOTP will forever be my favourite programme from being a kid..............

5. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

Hey Mark,

I got all 5 volumes from EBay, from different sellers. You're gonna spend over $100 to get all 5 volumes and remember that they are region 4.
    Thankx

6. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Crap...don't see any. :(

7. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

Try ebay australia

8. gatch72

gatch72 New Member

9. Madilayn

Madilayn New Member

Hi all

Am new here - so thought I would drop in and introduce myself.

Some of you I know * waves to Meridian and any others *. Am from Brisbane and have been a BotP fan since it was first shown here in the late 70's (yes I am that old). I've only been discovering Gatchaman recently, though I did see some in the early '80's through an anime club I was associated with.

I've got all the Aussie BotP releases (and yes - they are worth having - especially since they've been released in the running order Sandy Frank intended them to be shown in) and am slowly getting the ADV Gatch releases (it's not so much the cost of the DVD's - it's the postage that can cost as much as the DVD itself).

I write mostly BotP fic - and am rather known for smut.

Other than that - am just about to start a new job as an office manager, with my first job as to set up the new office - and am on a week holiday at the moment.

Megan

10. Meridian

Meridian New Member

Hiya Madilayn :)

I shall answer the roll call as well. Still haven't had time to even open box sets 4 & 5....

11. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Wow, I've looked back at the posts on this thread and saw that the last time I posted here was back in early February. I spent almost 4 months doing nothing but lurking. A sign of the times perhaps.

Oh, and Mark: I STILL picture Casey Kasem in his "Mark" voice orating your text evey time you post. :D (That was my last post)

Good news:though I forgot the link: According to George Manley (the narrator for ADV's dub of Gatchaman), the cast wrapped up production on ADV's dub of the first Gatch series a couple of days ago!!! The final volumes will be out by October I believe. It took ADV more than a year I suppose to dub the first series, with their big pockets and ample production facilities: How long did it take Sandy Frank and co. and Fred Ladd and "Sparklin' Entertainment" to dub BotP & G-Force respectively and with how many resources/money at hand?

Hearing how "Speed Racer" and its 52 episodes were dubbed in less than a week back in the late '60's and from Gatchaman mastermind Jason Hofius how Fred Ladd in his crew dubbed "G-Force" in a short amount of time and a limited budget, we've sure come a long way in dubbing. Now to see what ADV decides to do next.

Say, where's Melek Taos lately, and female posters G-3 & elizabeth 1 IIRC? The latter haven't been around in ages.....

12. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

You know, one thing that pisses me off about boards who use the vbulletin system is that when I'm in the process of making a long, heartfelt post and am about to post it, I have to LOG IN AGAIN!. And when I do, MY ENTIRE POST IS LOST! Man, it happened once over here and yet again a couple of minutes ago in another vbulletin board. Dammit..........:anger:

Looking back on the archives of this board, it's been 2 years, 1 week since I first arrived on these boards. Honestly seems like almost yesterday when I came with a mouthful of "G-Force" questions. Think I've changed since then? As far as my outside life goes: definitely. Here: maybe not too much! Though things have been pretty uneventful these last two years which is why it seems like almost yesterday. It's still great to be here!

13. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Dirk, that happens to me, too. After it does, I will religiously copy my post before I click a button for a while, but that self-induced safeguard seems to widdle away...usually just before the same thing happens again! I routinely do the same with yahoo mail. Boy, that is such a pisser when I lose an e-mail that way!

And I must say it's certainly great to have you here, Dirk! Time does fly. It seems just like yesterday that the first "Battle of the Planets" soundtrack came out in 2000, which started the whole revitalization of the show and the other incarnations here. Now we've come full cirlce...maybe even more since the contract runs out next year and "Battle of the Planets" may be dead, and the status of Sandy Frank Entertainment as a whole, including GoS, is unknown. Dirk, perhaps you could ask Mr. Hofius about that if you talk with him again?

But yes...I'm glad this board is still alive and kicking, even though things have died down a bit. I do indeed check here almost every day, and it's great to see the familiar faces routinely check in, and even more rewarding when new folks pop in and say hello!

14. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Perhaps you should send him an e-mail, and he could personally invite you to talk with him on his Gatchaman BBS board (which requires an MUD client, I suggest RoAClient). I dunno if I could invite you myself, but I'll ask him when I next see him.

15. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

I used to hate that myself. If you're using the same computer, try checking "Remember Me" when you log in, and typically it will prevent that problem... if not, well, another option is to leave one window open to the Who's Online page while you're browsing the boards... because it refreshes itself every minute, it will typically save you from getting timed out after the typical 15 minutes of "inactivity."

16. Meridian

Meridian New Member

Another option is to use mozilla/firefox instead of internet explorer. When you get logged out and find that in internet explorer, hitting the back button just gives you the post screen without the post that you spent so long typing, in mozilla/firefox you'll find that you get that post screen and it's still got your post in it! It's a lovely feature, that "don't lose the stuff I spent ages typing" thing.

17. y2jedi

y2jedi New Member

Hello All,
    Forum n00b checking with with my first post. Killing time at work on a Saturday feeling like Dante from Clerks "I'm not even supposed to be here today".
    I was going thru some of my old stuff last weekend and I found my BOTP VHS tapes. I can't wait for my son to get back from his grandmothers house. I'm curious to see if BOTP grabs him the way it did me. I remember running home from school to watch G-Force. I just hope the poor quality doesn't turn him off.
    My brother recently moved in with me and he drug me to the comic book shop, somewhere I hadn't been in 3 years. So, I picked up the Alex Ross run, good stuff. Needless to say, I kinda got the fever again.
    So, my question to all of you is where would you say the best place is to try an buy the Rhino DVD's. I haven't spotted the box set for a reasonable price.
    Ebay or other?
    Thanks in advance.