Computers 'BOUT TIME THEY MADE DivX COMPATIBLE DVD-PLAYERS

Discussion in 'Computers' started by SaberJ2X, Oct 28, 2002.

1. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I FOUND THE MOST COOLEST NEWS IN VIDEO HISTORY
    A TECHNOLOGY BORN A FEW YEARS AGO (WELL, MODIFIED)
    HAS HIT THE TECHNOLOGY SKY...
    I HOPE TO SEE A BATCH OF DivX (fully)COMPATIBLE DVD-PLAYERS
    NEXT-YEAR...
    HERE IS THE WEBSITE
    http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/021022/047810.html

for those of you who doesn't know what the fuzz is about...
    imagine this...
    2 minutes of DVD video at 640*480 24bit color
    weights about 118MB -with sound
    2 minutes of DVD quality DivX at 640*480 24bit color
    weights only 22MB more or less depending how complex is the scene -with sound

DivX is practically a VBR modified version of MPEG-4
    BUT, has SEVERAL aces under his hand...
    more info can be found in
    HTTP://www.divx.com

now...
    imagine a single layer/single side dvd having 4 full-length DVD quality DivX motion pictures downloaded from the net...
    being able to see them in a DVD-player is a definite plus...

MPEG=Motion Pictures Expert Group
    DivX= you tell me...

2. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

or you can convert the file into a vcd...then, a vast majority of the players everyone owns already can play them. nero does it for ya...<shrugs>

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I think that Saber is getting to point out that you can hold more in a DivX disc than VCD? I dont' know...but...IMAGE quality, they said would be the same...but what about sound quality? It's important to some people...and, personally, I LOVE Dolby 5.1 and THX over plain ol' stereo any day! ;) :D :p

4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

IZZY? have you heard about AC3 encoding?
    you can also have 5.1 sound in DivX...
    It's just that you have to be a really complicated software to do it...

5. FireDragon_16

FireDragon_16 A Sionbosys Unit

wellll i just downloaded a couple of anime videos from kazaa for absolute nothing ......and ya..its was divx encoded or something like that ...i would say ....NICE, GREAT, magnificient !! whoehahahah ......i saw streetfighter alpha ..my favorite anime...with Divx quality ..oh man....with dolby stereo sound...wooot woooot ...just great...except ...next store neigbors where knocking on my door !! (or thoor) you get the point! ..... bummer :p:p...i should say it.....Divx is cool!!!

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Really complicated could also mean really expensive. And besides, like always, someone's gotta play devil's advocate. If you don't look at the down parts now, then people will be more disappointed later. As for that AC3 encoding, it's the first time I've heard of it, and I never knew something like that existed. But, whatever.

Exizt is also right, DivX gets updated every now and then...would that mean that older DivX/DVDs are going to be incompatible? Or would you just like...but it a data strip (a la Sony brand products) to give it the necessary upgrade?

Me? I'm gonna wait until I get my new desktop (give or take a couple months...realtime) with a DVD+RW so I can jampack anime in one DVD and try out this DivX thing then. So taht way, I'm in a win win situation...a new computer and a DVD+RW drive. :D

7. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

So far the DivX 5.1 is a standard by now. And it supports some weird stuff like deinterlacing, quadpixels, bidirectional frames (which allow more compression)...

Much of the DivX hacking is MODIFYING the compression parameters for each frame (even parts of pixels!) but they're stored in the same format. Besides - we have MP3 players already. Why not do the same with DIVX?

Hmmm imagine this.

*inserts minidisk into the portable Divx player*

Good morning Jim. Your mission, if you decide to accept it, is... :p
    This DivX mini-disc will self-destroy in 5 seconds. :p :p LOL

But well you get the idea. But I'm sure that there will be an UPGRADEABLE version of the divx players. Just send it to your local technician to install the upgrade chip for $20, and voila!

Oh wait - why not! Perhaps it has a FLASH ROM, and you can upgrade the ROM with a standard CD.

Ta-da! Your player has been upgraded to DivX 6!

8. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

OH! I forgot to mention

The VAST majority of movies in [ famous peer to peer download site ] are in DIV3 format which is the DIVX 3.0. The upgrades in the codecs (which are backward compatible - at least works for me) are only to squeeze a bit more of compression.

About sound quality... DIVX is video-only. For audio quality you simply choose MP3, so the quality is up to you. fansubs downloaded from the web are usually about 56kbps, but of course you could get 128+ kbps Stereo quality.

Also... if movies are in DVD format, and considering the "upgradeable ROM", maybe the DVD will include the codec in the "boot sector" or something, don't you think?