Bring back the person above you thread

Discussion in 'Help Desk' started by Raven, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Please don't hate me for this, I know the thread was very spammy at the end but it was also a lot of fun. It was a very pleasant and happy thread and everybody got along.

Person Above You

So can we please do it again.:) :) :( :(

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I didn't even know a thread like that here existed. To me, after looking through it, it was a horrible way of building up posts, and an invitation for spam. It would work if 100% of the posters really did think before they posted and kept it to nice comments. But that's too much to ask.
    I as well, don't know who moderated this thread, but a thread like this just seems to be too much work on his/her part as well.

3. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Perhaps a "Person below you" thread? I've seen this idea at another forum, and yes, it does seem quite spammy, but it also looks like fun, in my opinion. Just suggesting.

4. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

quite spammy? Heh, it was strict mostly to 2-3 person, it was like every 2 pages - 20 posts per page for me - were full of 2 member's posts, maybe few interfear here and there. I was so surprised that it wasn't locked earlier than just 100 replies, but I trust BMS' judgements.

And if it wasn't only 2-3 people who were taking thoes 20-30 posts, other's would have fun as well, don't you think? :)

That's why you guys should think before posting in any thread, and not just few ^^

Ja ne,
    - Spam Police..!!

5. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Hey, I believe in a little fun now and then. We hadn't had the classic "spam the person above you" in our whole life of existence, so when the thread started up, I decided to let it run a "few" posts.

It was fun, it was spammy, it's over. But, what the heck...sometime (maybe a few months) I'll let another go. For now...meh.

6. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Okay then. We won't do it now. I can wait.:)

7. *Fabee*

*Fabee* Retired

What about having a section of the board, which is similar to newbies (posts doesnt count), that is for these types of games? You could have a sub-forum in misc titled "silly games" ;p Another board Im in did this... However, if you're worried about the bandwidth, I understand ^^

8. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

I have an idea how we could make that work with out it being like a major spam-fest....the posts could be no shorter than 2 sentences composing of atleast (at min.) 20 words....yah know actually put some thought into the comment.....So yah...I would love to have that thread come back into action!!

Misao

9. Osaka

Osaka New Member

I participated in that thread. :p It was fun. Warm-fuzzys all around!

Whoo! I like that Idea.

Of course....bandwidth might be a problem, like you said.

:p

10. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

tooms i know whatcha mean... one forum i was a member of had a forum simply entitled spam... it included threads such as that (and the counting thread...woohoo that was fun!!!!) as well as various threads that may be considered spam in even the misc forum but were still kinda fun... yeah the only thing is that i dont believe some of our members could handle it... totally take it for granted ya know and SPAM like random words n such... ah but theres my two cents on that
    ~the bunny who has no faith in her own forums site~

11. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

I hope you guys work it out- I mean it's pretty hard NOT to spam in a thread like that, but it sounds like sooo much fun...

12. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

I didn't participate in it much but ya it was a lot of fun, I think Blue Crow had the most fun though, especially when he talked to himself.
    As far as I can tell nobody ever insulted anybody else and there were more compliments then ever seen.
    So how about we bring it back, we can have a limit on the number of posts, say.....300-400 :catgirl:

13. FF_Freak_Dobio

FF_Freak_Dobio New Member

You should make a "Forum Game" forum/section type thing, where you don't get any post count or anything for it, and the threads are pruned regularly, as to not drag down the database.

That's what they do on FFDatabase, they have game threads which the beginning posts get removed, since no one ever reads them anyway.

14. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

You just want to boost your post count don't you..? I agree with everybody here who said there should be a seperate forum for these games, and it of course wouldn't count towards the post count.

After all, if the RPG Forum posts don't count, why should these? They're less thought out than actual RPG posts.

15. FF_Freak_Dobio

FF_Freak_Dobio New Member

Post count games is the devil that divides most boards to the point of people starting vendettas against each other because they play those games.

You guys have a very strong anti-spam policy, the only way I can see a game like this coming back, without you folks sounding hypocritical, is in a separate, no post count type forum, for those sorts of games...but, even then, it can get pretty spammy.

The problem with those sorts of games, is that, if say, two people are up really late, and alone on the boards, they can increase a thread size by three or more pages, just by posting in that one thread, and both gain post count.

(Note: I'm not trying to sound like a moderator, so, if it comes across that way, I apologize, I've just had a lot of experiences with these sorts of games, and they always end up the same way, some people hate them, some people get all their posts from them. Plus, it can become some sort of a popularity contest)

For example, if Person A posts, and Person B does not like Person A, Person B can make a derogatory slandered remark about Person A, and then Person A will retailate, bringing out a flame war, that will not stick to just that topic, it will follow to other topics. I know that some members around here take things personally, (not that it's a bad fault, but it just means you have to be more wary about games which allow opportunities) Even if the remark is deleted, if the person who it was directed at sees the remark, it hurts them, and most likely, they will hold a grudge. (Once again, it depends on the person).

Of course, that's worst case scenario. Best case: Some people get ego boosts, some people get higher post counts, and everyone has a degree of fun.

Your call, just wanted to make sure that aspect was noted. (It came to me last night. :p)

16. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I doubt that there will be much posts there, don't you think?

17. Energizer Bunny

Energizer Bunny i wuv you

probably be a lot of posts but it would most likely be from the same people posting over and over and over so i think it may be kinda pointless...

18. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

yeah, i've been to forums with "spam" sub-forums, they usually end up having far and away the most posts of the site. lots of people end up living in there and don't post anywhere else. having them not counting towards post-count would help i think though. it's also an open door to start flame wars. Given enough encouragement anyone will start a good flame. if you don't believe me start a thread in the debate forum titled "which religion is right" and you'll see what i mean pretty quick. a thread like that wouldn't last a day, but i don't think an army of mods could irradicate the flames from an entire forum designed for spam. (how would you find someone willing to mod something like that anyway?)

Mainly though, i have my doubts the spamming could be confined to that forum. i think it'll just spread, and users'll be spamming in all the other forums as well.
    Besides, we've got chat-room for that sort of stuff haven't we?

19. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Whoa, I can see it now, and its hilarious. A thread like that would be shut down in seconds.

But look in the Person above you thread and you will see that there wasn't any flaming. Or in the five word story thread. They were both harmless.

By the way... can I test out the idea of which religion is better in the debates forum. It will very interesting to see poom-poom is right.

20. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i'm not so sure that would be a good a idea. but there was flamming in the person ubove you thread, but even if there wasn't, an entire forum of the like would surely generate plenty. i just can't see the need for stuff like this when we've got a perfectly good chat room.