Debate bullying and school violence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luvweaver, Aug 8, 2003.

?

What's your solution for school bullying?

1. Having school laws against bullying

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Forgiving (by law) those who get even (just fists, no weapons) at bullies

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Having a special school court on fights and bullying

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. things are OK the way they are

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Given how I'm going to be bigger, stronger, have more endurance as well as some combat training, we see the fatal flaw in your plan.

It only works until you meet someone who hits back, and harder.

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

Bullies act upon those who either complain or don't fight back. You can stand up for yourself and even get beaten down, but that bully will know that you'll at least put out some resistance and won't really want to mess with you. I have tested this, fortunatly I havent gotten into a fight. But standing up for myself cut the head off the bully snake before it got too big.

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

No, see, I was commenting on how SwordfishII seems to believe that violence WILL solve all his problems.

Just look, I dared to criticize his all mighty plan and he wanted to punch me. He himself became the bullying sort.

Would I just take his punch? No! If he decided to bring a verbal (or in this case text) debate into the world of violence, well by jove I'm not letting him just walk all over me!

Oh, and I think I'll repeat something from your post...

Which is exactly what he wants me to do, especially when my comment on his strategy could in some ways be seen as truth (violence IS a universal solution, its just rarely if ever a good one). I know I didn't say anything which could be construed as picking on him, yet he still expressed desire to hit me.

Why on Earth would I just sit there and take it?! In this case he would be the bully.

4. KaMeKaZi

KaMeKaZi Insanity$%#

Well as for Trying to put an End to Bullying in schools. I happened to flick through the tv one day and came on Drphill. The Show was about school violence and bullying.. Anyway His son Is traveling around to the schools in the US and giving speechs on Violence.. At the end of each speech he is asking the teachers and students to stamp out all forms of bullying, by having them all signe this huge banner and then put it on the wall..

Now is this working. I think it is.. only time will tell.

KaMe

5. SwordfishII

SwordfishII New Member

Say nephillim_x did you know i know Kempo and i am a brown belt? and i could own possibley every one in my school

P.S the sucker punch has taken out "annoyances" for me, so i think it can work for anyone

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I'm still waiting to be impressed here.

The first thing you should have learned is when not to use your skills, and as it stands, you've essentially threatened to use them on me because I dared to have a differing opinion.

Grow up. You probably think you look really cool, but in fact you only look like a bully who gets bullied.

And in all likelyhood, the bully you "took care of" would just move on to weaker prey afterwards and take out his rage and embarresement on them. Congratulations, you've only stopped the problem for yourself and probably made it worse for others.

Your solution may work but only to an extent.

Edit: as for your statement that it will work for anyone, what about those who are either unable to do so (due to a disability of some sort) or simply dont really have the strength to be very damaging? A 6th grader bullying a 1st grader, or even a grade 12 verses a grade 9, isn't going to be too worried if the hit back. Or what if said bully has connections or can make it look like you are the bully and get YOU in trouble with the school?

7. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

I don't see this as a debate either/ I was bullied in school, recall a girl punching me for no reason when I was in grade 2. and I guess I was 'the loser' to these kids who all thought they were better. anyways. One of the main problems is lack of teacher supervision in elementary schools and lazy teachers who go elsewhere or don't pay attention. Even practice teaching I've seen teachers, who should be supervising their class during a religious service sit elsewhere for comfort sake while their students are yelling and acting like mentally challenged morons and picking on others no less. (and yes I tried to break it up even though I looked like a Senior student).

A second issue is what are their parents like? one family of bullies in elementary school who picked on me at school and on the bus were dysfunctional. the kid who was in my grade, he is in military college right now and his olders brothers are in jail. I just heard one of them was killed in jail. When I have children I will not bully or make fun of people in front of them. (even though I dont anyways) I will not be a poor role model for my kids and will not tolerate hearing they are bullying kids in school. Problems start at home.

Since I'm from a family where most of my siblings and I were picked on in elementary, I'll say another problem is administration. My Mom called to talk to the principal many times and he first lied to her saying they'd fix it, but then nothing was done. Then my Mother was ridiculed by them, the teachers and admin still did nothing, and so she pulled us out of the school.

so lazy teachers/principals, and poor parents.

btw-this thread will get edited -its not a debate on who will kick whose butt anyways. it sounds more like a pro bully debate, which should never have been started. points at pro violence man.

8. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

At school I was picked on and hated. I was bullied a few times in general, and my reaction was to beat the crap out of the person harassing me. When I was little, that's exactly what I did.

However, now I find that to be a shallow, useless attempt at revenge.

Now my revenge is different. I'm a very nice person, and it's hard to get me to really hate you. But if it ever gets to that point, take anyone's advice: move to Alaska. ^_^

You can torture people socially. Turn everyone against them until you make them CRY. Make thier lives MISERABLE.

And never touch them physically. And never get in trouble for it either. Not that I usually do this kind of stuff. ^_^ *teehee*

I think it's a load of crap, trying to stop school bullying. It happens. Get over it. It's part of life. You can talk to your counselor or something, and make things better, but you shouldn't be taken to court for that. It's impossible. Do you know how many hundreds of kids are bullied every day in just one district? A far-fetched idea, in my opinion.

9. jakotsu chan

jakotsu chan Nevermore!

oh when i was little i was one of the trouble makers, and most hated people out of my class, which made things worse, when i was mad i would usualy attemp to scratch or bite or just let it go. but when i got older i would beat them to a bloody pulp or verbaly abuse them with such colorful words that will make your head spin.(got sent to the principals office for those) but dont worry :D im ok now, sort of,....maby

10. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

Do you realize how sadistic that sounds? If you think that bullying's just something to deal with . . . Have you ever seen a little kid who was picked on his entire school life? Do you know how messed up they can be? You agree with kids being burned, bloodied, just because they're different? The psycological damage on young kids is immense. INNOCENT CHILDREN ARE DRIVEN TO KILL!!! I'm sorry, I must express my feelings on this. I'm gonna steal some lines from Fruits Basket, so here's the disclaimer.

HUMANS ARE NOT ANIMALS. We are intelligent, at least most of us. To target the "weakest" person in the room, and then to bully them until they are driven to dread school, hate it. AND THEN, WHEN THEY FINALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT THEY ARE SENT TO JAIL TO BE TORTURED EVEN MORE!!! I can't stand worthless scum like you.

I'm getting off this thread until I'm coherent.

1 person likes this.
  11. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

Why not? Wouldn't it be better to traumatize one idiotic bully then consign twenty people to death when the victim finally snaps?

How do you know? You were never bullied.

1 person likes this.
  12. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

My early school years were in a class of 6, so bullying wasn't really that much of a problem.
    Besides, there was an average of around 26 or so pupils in the entire school each year, so if anyone was bullied everyone else knew about it and ganged up on the bully! This never descended into outright violence as far as I can remember, but verbal abuse was about as far as it went.
    The problems were more to do with "so-and-so is a smartypants", and "[insert name here] fancies [insert name here]". Thank God we grew out of that!

13. jakotsu chan

jakotsu chan Nevermore!

i was a monster when i was 4, my cousin said he hated my sand castle so i threw it at his face, he was 8 years old and ran home crying to his mom :D i also HATED anyone younger than me , i said i would get stronger and kill them all once i got older :bleed: seriosly, im not kidding, a 2 year old threw sand at me and i threw 10 times as much back at him, a baby started playing with my stuff, my mom had to hold me back from hurting the poor thing, and to top it all of i was playing with the babys toys.and i only hanged out with kids my age or older. yah i was a cruel little b@stard, but thankfully, im a little better now. bullying never stps at schools, the teachers and staff barely do anything

14. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I was bullied (verbally, though, most kids followed the "don't hit a girl" standard [sexist, really, I'd almost rather have been hit, I could've hit back easily]), throughout my elementary years, at first just because I was more reserved, sensitive, and as I got older and loads less quiet it was because I was "different" (random, somewhat hyperactive, socially inacceptable behavior wise etc.), and it wasn't until junior high that I actually met a substantial group of people like myself, and "coincidentally" the bullying stopped for the most part once people realized I was perfectly capable of handling myself no matter what they threw at me. But those early years were miserable, and while I don't have a vast ammount of fond childhood memories, I don't think much can be done to stop "verbal" bullying. Teachers turn a blind eye to it, only interferring when the catfights turn physical, and there isn't a way to physically travel through someone's mind and tinker with them enough to force them to want to put a halt to the behavior. It's natural for people to form a pecking order, even adults do it, and naturally whoever happens to be on the bottom is going to suffer more. Even if teachers *did* get more involved with their students, not much would change on account of the fact that teachers can't change student's behavioral processes (for the most part), and no matter what reprocussions are implemented, students are going to continue the mental bullying.

15. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe they used to be able to. you american kids, ask your parents about teacher, rulers, and your knuckles sometime *^-^*

16. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I've only been verbally bullied I guess a few times, and after that no one thought it worth it. See in elementary, if anyone was really mean to me I'd get upset and cry, and all the teacher would come running to see what was wrong or my friend would go get them. In sixth grade I had a group of popular girls start picking on me. Generally I'd smile at their insults, and say thanks, "It was my mom's.", and walk off, or I'd ignore them. I must admit it was pretty funny when they were yelling at the top of their lungs trying to get me to pay attention as I acted totally absorbed in my book. After that nothing. Whenever someone says something mean around me, they usually apologize within 30 seconds and insist they're talking about someone with the same name. I don't really care what they say, but I must admit at times having everyone be nice to you can get a bit boring. Oh, and physical bullying was never a problem. I'm not what you would call petite.

I guess I was a bit of bully at times myself though, and not just with my brothers. I never physically hurt anyone, I just made them do what I wanted. My friends and I would chase down boys at recess, yell at them, and make them get their friends so we could yell at them. I guess I was more into the dominating thing.

17. jakotsu chan

jakotsu chan Nevermore!

i had around the same problem as you, exept that when im angry i have an uncontrollable temper, one time my friends start ganging up on me (all three)
    and made an attempt to beat me up (reason they did this, i was the oddball out of the group) and i bit my friend at the bottom of her thumb, and she started bleeding down to her wrists, which every one start yelling at me for, one time a group of boys was anoyying us i went chasing after them with my bike, almost ran over one, and from then on was given another name 'phycho'
    i was never realy called this unless i realy went crazy with rage, at school i did my best not to pick on kids who were mean to me, and if i had a hard day i would use my friends punching bag as stress relief.

18. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!! :) :) :) :) :) CLAP :) CLAP :) CLAP!!! :) :) :) BRAVO! (no, i'm not joking). :)

We need more people like you. (Still, it's ironic that you're against bullying, and your nickname is Genghis Khan. :rolleyes: )

Yes, I was bullied at school.

I'm sick tired of people who say "get over it, grow up". But when you're a weakling, and get bullied by guys 2 or 3 times not your age, but your weight, it's awful.

I still feel resentment (is that spelled right?) towards not bullies, but the idiots who let it happen. If bullies learn that bullying is OK, then what stupid society are we raising?

Just look at the streets. At the crime rate. At the corruption. Allowing bullying in schools has the same effect than impunity in the streets. "Oh you got robbed. Get over it, that's how NY is".

My point is that bullies should be punished BEFORE they grow up. We don't want bullies pushing everyone around when they're older, paying bribes for their crimes and still getting over it... or victims get a revolver and start shooting out everyone in school because they were bullied. What if those people who are shy, are having problems at home? So great, your father beats you or screams at you, your mother does nothing, and in school things only get worse. It can gets so hard that either you kill yourself or others.

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/shooting/1003col4.shtml

Just think about it people.
    I still don't see how americans think they have the perfect society, when they have the (IMHO) highest crime rate in the world. Compare with Canada. There you can leave your door unlocked, even open, and nothing happens.

No, it's not America per-se (it's not "per say", but "per-se") that I hate. It's the politics of bullies not being punished.

Hello??? Anybody home?? Haven't we seen how the Shrub - pardon me, Bush Jr. - bullies everyone with his all-powerful army? Who will punish him? The U.N.? Come on, they bow before him. Why? Because he's stronger.

It's the same. It's ALL the same. :anger2:

Impunity.

I would just like to know if Bush ever bullied someone at school.

19. Dante

Dante New Member

I was bullied in school. Hell, some of the times, I still AM bullied. But... y'know what? **** 'em. :p If anything I think it's the people that ARE bullied that are more subjectable to becoming something more violent when they grow up.

If people want to bully, people are going to bully. There'll be few that you can change but, in spite of what people want to think, kids aren't pliable all the time and won't bend and twist to your every-will just because you decide to punish them for something they do.

And.. for those shy kids, getting bullied, beaten by their father, and ignored by their mother... why focus only on the bullies? If something was done about the father and the mother, then, it wouldn't be as bad either. *shrug* Convenient enough though that certain people only focus on the point at hand and ignore others that are just as logical... I guess some people just like to sound right.

And... just for further note... yes. Humans ARE animals, classified as mammals.

And, for even FURTHER note... there are quite a number of animals who are shockingly intelligent, and can even compete on level with "human intelligence".

"Get over it, grow up".

20. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

So you're telling that just as their parents are treated well, others have the right to bully? (On a side note. When you were kid, were you bullied constantly? Or don't tell me that you bullied others yourself?)

OF COURSE bad parents need heavy treatment. But who will take them there? HOW will we recognize them, if their kids do nothing but shut up and think they deserve their treatment? (Remember that kids who fight for their rights, do so because they were RAISED that way. You can't expect a kid who is constantly abused (either verbally or physically) to just come out to the police officer, and send his father to jail, just to end up in some shelter which God knows how it'll be. (Oh yeah - and getting laughed at by BULLIES!)

IMHO, I think it's MUCH EASIER to educate the "good parents" so that they prevent their children from bullying others, than to educate the "bad parents" whose children are constantly bullied until they snap and take revenge.

(Now don't tell me that parents of bullies are also disfunctional and nearly impossible to educate.... that would have serious implications, wouldn't it?)

Tell me, is it hard to educate people just because there are MANY bullies around? Come on. Just take a look at the education regarding contraceptives and still tell me it's impossible to reeducate america.

The real problem regarding education about bullying is that people DO NOT CARE ABOUT IT. (Until there's a second columbine, of course). Again, take a look at international affairs. People didn't give a damn about Osama until 9/11.

As usual, people don't give a damn until it's too late. Way to go, Uncle Sam!

Unless parents teach their kids that they should NOT bully other people just because they're DIFFERENT (or worse, just because the bullies 'felt like it'), we'll always have bullies, victimized kids with nothing but hatred in their minds, and, of course, xenophobes and white supremacists. (Oh yeah. And terrorists with bombs, and powerhungry presidents making up stupid excuses like "massive destruction weapons").