Debate bullying and school violence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by luvweaver, Aug 8, 2003.

?

What's your solution for school bullying?

1. Having school laws against bullying

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Forgiving (by law) those who get even (just fists, no weapons) at bullies

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Having a special school court on fights and bullying

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. things are OK the way they are

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Dante

Dante New Member

Funny.. I don't even remember ever saying something that hinted to the condoning of bullying, but, Hell, whatever rocks your boat, man. :) And I did a little bullying in my most recent years of High School (Junior and Senior years). Well. Not sure if it was quite bullying but rather getting into heated verbal arguments. Before that I was bullied but dealt with it. Got over it. Was mainly over my appearance, and the "color of my skin", so to speak, to a few select kids.. and also my drawings (since I drew males, sometimes with more revealing clothing like open shirts, no shirts, etc.), f****t was quite a favored term in reference to me (which actually went up through until I got out of High School). I think that was all it was, not sure. I've managed to successfully get over it all (and I don't mean get over it by forgetting it... it's still all clear in my memory, well, some of it, but it really doesn't bug me), and it really wasn't that hard.

Sheesh, you act like there's absolutely nothing that can be done to crappy parents. It's as if you're saying "OMG, this person has crappy parents! There is nothing we can do about it!". It's not like these things are inconspicuous, abuse can be quite obvious in some cases. Of course, not all cases, but you can't be expected to save everyone, it's really just not possible. **** happens.

And... yeah, it's easier to educate the good parents, but that doesn't mean it'll be any easier to educate the kids. And just because you educate the kids, doesn't mean they'll listen. I mean, are you telling me that Dahmer, Hitler, Bundy, and Manson's parents never taught them that killing is bad or anything even of that remote sort? Please.

There's a difference between educating and said education being put to use. But if for some reason you mean "reeducate" as "teaching people these things and people for sure using this information to the best possible way"...

Then, yes... it IS impossible to re-educate America.

And, no, it's not hard to educate people because there are many bullies around. It's hard to educate people (once again, assuming that by educate you mean for said people to put given information to good use as well) because some people, flat-out, don't want to listen, or there is some other reason for them to not properly comprehend these facts.

And half the people now still don't give a damn about him. And I can guarantee to you that, when 9/11 happened, there were STILL people that didn't give a damn about Osama Bin Laden. I can guarantee to you that there was people who didn't care about Columbine, and won't care when there's another Columbine. Because there are always people out there who are apathetic, and there will always be people who think "Wow, man, that's just so cool".

You're not going to ever be able to make everyone care. It's a lost cause.

Glad to see you stopped school-shootings and 9/11. Way to go, luvweaver!

And even if parents try to teach their kids those things, we'll still have bullies, victimized kids with nothing but hatred in their minds, and, of course, xenophobes and white supremacists. (Oh yeah. And terrorists with bombs, and powerhungry Presidents making up stupid excuses like "massive destruction weapons").

Next?

2. luvweaver

luvweaver Ad Jesum per Mariam

Yes, but to a lesser extent. :)

Next?

3. Dante

Dante New Member

Ahh, that makes much more sense... I must have taken for granted your omnipotent power to over-rule psychological diseases in the miscreants everywhere and the ability to cure every shape, form, and design of lunacy, insanity, sadism and murderous rage in its purest quintessential form.

Man, I wish I could do that, too.

1 person likes this.
  4. Red Jackal

Red Jackal New Member

Okay. For the record, this is the most ignorant, useless and imbecilic comment I have ever seen. As has already been said by Amon Sena, Humans are classified as mammals. You know, warm-blooded animals who give live birth? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you human? Thus making you an animal. And as far as I'm concerned, most humans are inept and stupid, without logical thinking and common sense. I think you prove my point nicely. :D

On another note, there is no solution to bullying. No matter what you do, it'll happen. Punishing a bully will do nothing. They'll only grow resentful and more hateful, further taking their feelings out on others in a form of abuse. Be it verbal or physical. There will always be "bad eggs" no matter what precautions you go through to accomplish otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  5. luvweaver

Sorry, but I think I have a testimony which will bring your arguments down.

See now, Jackal? Apparently you think that all bullies are useless and nobody will never correct them, or maybe that they all have family problems. Some do it JUST FOR FUN. I'm sure that a good reprimand - or at least a warning, or even suspension - would have brought Basher19 stop bullying.

The problem with bullies is that many of them don't realize how they make others' lives miserable. I'm not saying that bullying will be completely elliminated. I'm just saying it can be controlled, or disminished.

I know that in Taiwan schools, bullying is much more aggresive than in the US. I know someone from there, and he's really having problems. Now, how can you explain the magnitude difference of bullying between countries?

In my country there is NO bullying in college. Many years before, bullying and making humilliating jokes against newcomers was accepted as "normal". Until a newcomer got killed in one of those jokes. (I'm talking about 30 years ago). Only then the authorities forbid jokes against newcomers. And since then, the inertia and culture of bullying newcomers was vanished. Not disminished, but BANISHED.

So, it CAN be done. What are your arguments for saying it can't be done? You haven't tried. You haven't even THOUGHT about it. If your attitude is "Just because", fine, don't call me naive.

The worst problem about trying to change something that is WRONG, is that people put their feet in your way before you even start doing something.

6. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Khan is obviously referring to non-sentient creatures, nitwit.

Lock 'em in a room with a drill seargent for a half hour. They won't be bullies very long. Fear is an excellent control tool.

7. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Sorry to disrupt the flow of the debate here, just gotta cover something...

http://www.tinyvital.com/BlogArchives/000220.html

I still can't believe people trust Michael Moore entirely on this one. Yeah, you can leave your door open, in some areas with nothing happening. Do that in another area and you WILL get broken into (heck, my dads office was broken into twice in one month, and he DIDNT leave the door open. Chatham, where this took place, is a rather small city and is nothing like Toronto). Likewise, there are places in America where you can leave your door unlocked and jack diddly happens.

Ah, so you think the Taliban and Saddam weren't bullies either? I certainly don't mind that they're gone. (besides... he doesn't "bully everyone". I haven't seen any plans drawn up to invade Canada or nuke France, have you?) Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bush fan at all. I'm just sick of hearing fallacies.

8. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

I might as well join in...

I hate bullies, and literally dispise them. Why should bullies be able to put down others just to make their pitiful self feel good or look "tough" in front of their friends. Do they want someone to suffer like them? Yes, some people become stronger and better people, but not everyone is the same and can't easily blow off insults. It can eat away at some people until it drives them mad even. Sadly, sometimes i let things annoy me even though i know it's not true and i keep telling myself it's nothing, but for some reason it's hard to forget about it for some time. It's just how i am. Though i usually forget most over a long period of time or more likely the problem is solved ;) I've never gotten into any fist fights, verbal, yes a lot. I'll stick up for myself, my friends, or anyone who i see is being picked on. I really don't care if it ends up in a fight. My good friend paid for Kung Fu lessons for me because he saw how much i let something bug me and he told me that if things go to worse, i could at least kick their arse:p

While growing up in elemenatary school, i was never really picked on from what i can remember. I know some of my other friends had their bullies. i never did like seeing my friends being put down so i remember always running to these two adults who were supposed to watch us students at recess. I would do this every so now and then because i knew if an adult told the bullies to stop, they would. Sadly, these 2 idiotic people went to my grade one teacher right in the middle of class one day and complained saying i should never go up to them and report if something is going wrong with someone else, and that THAT person should go up to THEM themselves. in the end, they got fired along with my abusive gr.1 teacher.

I went through the rest of elementary and junoir high good. Oh, except for one prep chick in grade 8. She said she hated me because she just did. She would say such lies and rude things to me. i didn't even know who the hell she was at first since i was new to that school. She would claim herself as some perfect little Christian and his angel. Seriously, i was thinking of literally beating her up. My mother wouldn't care because she would always tell me that if someone hits you hit them back harder. *shrugs* but since this prep always talked about being a good christian i had a bible *i'm not a christian, but i used to be:p* i typed up this page with quotes about bullies being punished for their wrongful doings and so and so. I slipped it into her locker one day and i guess she must have read it because ever since then she's been so nice it's scary. But it made me feel good knowing that i resolved it with no violence and me including others wouldn't have to be picked on by her again.

High school is great^_^ i'm proud of my high school for we don't have bullies who last long and we have such great diversity and people who stick up for one another. well majority. There was this one guy who called me a rat because he thought i ratted him out for when he found a mp3 player and wanted to keep it for himself *pouts* and i did not, i just said to the principle that it wasn't me and there's no way i'm going to stick up for someone who thinks he has a right to be a jerk to others. one day, in the middle of drama class everyone was sitting against the walls, and thy great guy took a couch and sat in the middle the classroom. When the teacher told him to go sit against the walls like everyone else he said for everyone to hear, "i don't want to sit near a rat like Christina. She's an arsehole." i walked up to him in the middle of the class and must have said every swear word known and also i had good points as well, you know, like "if you have something to say, say it to my face" etc. Everyone saw this. Some people even started to clap because they knew he was a jerk, even some of his "friends" clapped too, and the teacher did nothing cause i think he understood why i did so:D Good day :cool: he now acts like he doesn't know me. so see, things can be solved without violence people^_^

i type too much...

9. luvweaver

Ok, sorry I exaggerated. But it IS true that the US constantly bully other countries when they see an economical (AND feasible) profit.

10. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

In school I did get bullied alot.I got bullied cuz I was friends with just about every girl ,but I wasnt friends with any boys.
    People started calling me gay.I really didnt careat the time because I thought they were just jokeing but ,after a while it got more out of control so I just ignored them and gave them good comebacks.(this was about in the 4th grade)but , they wouldnt back off and well I can stay it drove me crazy and I am really saying crazy I saw some of them after school down in the woods behide my house so I grabbed a bb gun and followed them after they we in they were deep in the woods I stared fireing at them in the legs and arms they finnally saw me and said they we going to beat me up but I had other things in mind i loadind the gun right as one of them ran up to me I got the gun all the way loaded and aimed it in the face and gave them my thoughts.They said they would stop so I agreed not to shoot them anymore.
    After a couple years past I became a as you would say "prep" in my school and some of the kids started calling me gay and stuff again so I talked to them and said stuff like are you calling me gay so people wont find out you are? I had other friends back me up now I really have no bullies.I do help other kids who get bullied tho.

11. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

I hate bullies, obviously. Though anyone who's been in any class with me knows quite well that getting in a verbal fight with me is useless since I'll out***** them in a second :p I'm a very opinionated and blunt person, what can I say..

Our high school doesn't encourage bullying, which I find surprising, as they all seem to fully support false rumours :p Oh, the irony.

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

To be fair, I'm not sure if thats so much bullying as it is driving a hard bargain. A bully says "Give me what I want or I'll punch you in the face!" America is not saying "Give us your resources or we will kill you all!" to every nation it trades with.

13. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

bullying? i think it is the wrong way to approach any matter. infact, i think most bullies are what you call imbeciles~

in my school, we are not a giant group of loving friends, but we do know common curtisy. basher soundlike she was lost in her parents divorce, and was trying to find solace through the suffering of others. but even if she was hurt, she'll deny it and just say she just didnt like the girl.

most bullies are either a failure in society, or will become one in some way. yet even bullys are bullied, as in physical or verbal...even sexual abuse at home or by their peers.

i have no problem if the bullying is mutual. ie: dissing back and forth.
    but when you cause another pain for reasons that noone else can fathom, then obviously, you are the one who is being laughed at, not them.

2 people like this.
  14. KaYasha

15. Genghis Khan

Genghis Khan New Member

Yes, it's useless. This entire forum is useless. Chances are very good that nothing will come of any philosophical conversation or debate in this forum. We're here because we're bored. Accept that.

Personally I don't believe that. However, if you don't want to question the ideas that have been fed to you since birth, hey. Next time you see a giraffe on TV, compare it to yourself. Makes lots of sense, huh? The fur, the hooves, the horns, the tail. Yup, mankind definitely evolved from the same thing as that.

You are intitled to your opinion. However, please don't try to use an opinion that I find inept and stupid as facts to back up your argument.

16. Chance

inept and stupid? and this hostility towards your own race comes from.....what? i dont see the point in bad mouthing what you are. cant change the fact, so just embrace it.

and kayasha...... the "popular ppl" in your school are not what i call the best subject to deve in. by popular, i always assume they are liked by everyone for their attitudes, and their demeanor, not their looks and the clothing they wear. so, what are you trying to say with the popularity issue?

and your friend.....i wouldnt know what to say to someone with anger issues such as those( ive never known a girl who could ensue such violence to another), i cannot judge that. but from what ive learned from experience with others, bullies do not mature, let alone get far. and by bullies, i dont mean popular ppl who want to look tough, i mean kids who at 12 have already been arrested for theft, go to juvy, smoke and drink, and are having sex before there 16th birthday. most popular ppl i know are fairly well off financially, and have no need to cause trouble outside of school because they have everything they need at home.

do you see where i'm going? what you ae in school is not what you are at home or in town, or at the mall, or ect.

17. Dante

Dante New Member

Funny... people used to think that Dinosaurs were most like lizards because of their outward appearances, but it turns out they were directly linked to birds. Huh. Interesting. I love those scaled, sharp-toothed birds. They're my favorite.

Well, could be worse I guess... we COULD all believe in "The Creation". :) I mean... compared to being created through some unknown source of powers through an unseen omnipotent being is perfectly reasonable compared to being decendants of a race of mammals that is similiar in structure to us. Please. Evolution? That's just silly. [/sarcasm]

When it comes to debates, people will use your own information against you. It happens. All in all, I think you actually put it best.

18. Chance

ad your point is what to bullying?????

19. KaYasha

As lucky said bullies do not mature, let alone get far. This is luckys definition of a bullie "a mean kids who at 12 have already been arrested for theft, go to juvy, smoke and drink, and are having sex before there 16th birthday."
    Um so your saying that to be a bullie you have to meet all of these?
    Ok so now I under stand you.you bash me for saying that some of the bullies in my school were the popular people(I meant popular by looks,cloths,and brains)This is what you said "i dont mean popular ppl who want to look tough"
    You sayed that popular people were" popular, i always assume they are liked by everyone for their attitudes, and their demeanor, not their looks and the clothing they wear."
    But you said "I dont mean popular ppl who whant to look tough."<so you are saying that there is mean popular people and they are not all as you said "liked by everyone for their attitudes, and their demeanor."
    And lucky can you tell me what you mean by this" popular ppl i know are fairly well off financially, and have no need to cause trouble outside of school because they have everything they need at home."Why would a kid be well off financially.If your talking about college here then why did you say "they have everything they need at home"Well I guess this makes sense if they live at home and go to college to.
    you also said this "do you see where i'm going? what you ae in school is not what you are at home or in town, or at the mall, or ect."really I dint really see you talk about that in you post at all!
    thats about all I have to say

20. Chance

okay, let me rephrase my ideas. ethm......

you told me that the popular ppl in your school were bullies.
    my question was, are they popular by my standards, or by the over thought standards of clothes, looks, finances...ect.

second, my deffinition of a bully is not someone who calls you names, or teases you, like the popular ppl in my school did, but someone who physically harms you on a regular basis. bully is a widely used term. much like friend.

someone who is mean to you isnt a bully nessesarilly, just an antagonist of sorts.

third, ppl who are well off( college or not) tend to get in less trouble then ppl from a troubled home who are not as well finanically.

and, yes, you act differently in school then anywhere else, so when i bring it up, that tends to actually compliment the basic idea. bullies. if you are a bully in school, that doesnt mean your one out of school.

unless you fill in my "requirements" like going to juvy and such. trust me, if youve done wrong at school, and you were suspended for it, most likely if you did it out side of school, you could go to jail. ie: friend of mine lit a curtain on fire, thats arson outside of school. he go a week suspension. one boy spray painted a locker with his innitials, and got a month suspension. he would have gone to juvy, or paid anywhere from $500 and up as a fine.