Computers Burning a DVD movie

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Zanza, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I am starting to get the feeling that in order to burn a DVD movie, the file extention can't be .avi :p
    I am not sure if all are like this or not, but I tried doing so with Nero StartSmart. Is there an another program the helps me to make DVD movies with .avi extention, or is the DVD movies extention are all the same? If so, how can I convert my .avi files to the DVD movie ones? :confused:

*cries*

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Alternatively, NeroVision can handle avi.

1 person likes this.
  4. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

I beat you all =3
    MSN mwahahaha...
    teddz, I sent her the same link xD
    lets hope it works ok X.x

1 person likes this.
  5. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

You mean Izzy, right? :D

I have no input, really. All I'd do is copy the file to the writeable folder, right click and select "burn these files" and let it go. I s'pose that's like, no help at all, though. :p

6. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I think Zanza's talking about how to turn a .avi into DVD .vob files that can play unto her DVD player. Not just a Data-back DVD, or her player doesn't support .avi/DIVX/XVID playback.

As far as NeroVision, does that come with Ultra 7? Because I'm still on Ultra 6, and I don't have that one. =P

7. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

wow, I got fast and cool response :D

Umm, yeah, I ment making a DVD movie that I can play it useing the home's DVD player (not in the computer).

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I don't believe so.

Regardless it's pretty easy. Drag and drop the avi, and it'll do all the converting for you. The only thing I've ever had to alter in its settings was have it write to the hard drive instead of directly to disk, and then burn the resulting files.

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

My preferred method is to make compilation DVDs with D.I.K.O. and DVD Lab.

Requires a bit more effort, but beats the one movie per disc limitation I believe AVI2DVD has.

1 person likes this.
  10. Seishin

Seishin Guest

Oh, now that we're on that subject, any of the DVD programs let you install subtitles on the DVD? I was given an encoding program to put on SUBS, but it takes lots of quality, and It'd be simpler on just a DVD.

Anyone?

As for Nero Start Smart, I know what you mean. But why (for example) is it that when I put ina (say) 185Mb file, it gets extended mysteriously to 1Gb?

-Seishin

1 person likes this.
  11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I'd like to add in that NeroVision can also support multiple files; once I burned Clone High to DVD for my housemate Kevin, complete with animated menus. The only downside I can think of to the program is that it doesn't support subtitles if they aren't hardcoded on the avi (that means if the subtitles are a seperate file, you're out of luck), and that there is the rare file that doesn't want to work with it (but to be honest, I never got the file working with any transcoding program, so take it for what it's worth).

12. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

If it's an .ogm or .mkv file, you can transfer that into .avi with hardcoded subtitles.

There's a great tutorial on that on doom9.

It essentially turns out to
    1. Get VirtualDub (virtually, VirtualDubMod)
    2. Get the AveryLee sub filter
    3. Rip out the subs of the .ogm or .mkv
    4. You'd sometimes have to change it from .sub to .ssa (I convert it with another prog)
    5. Rip the .ogm/.mkv with the japanese audio track into avi
    6. Hard code the avi with the subtitles using the avery lee subtitle filter.

Yes, you do lose quality since you're encoding a few (3) times. But, that's the way I get my hardcoded subtitles into avi files. I've been using this process to get PSP movies encoded.

Check out doom9 for a btter tutorial. =]

13. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Since you guys seem to know your stuff about DVDs, and the title of the thread is about how to go about burning one.

Im having a little trouble with DVD Shrink to back up my DVD CD's. Now here's what happened. I decrypted the DVD to its regular AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files, but it doesent give me the option to burn it afterwards. Just to create an ISO image file. Ive installed Nero 6 and it wont give me an option to burn it with that.
    Then i tried using Nero Recode 2, but the program only acted as if it had recorded the DVD, when it didnt actually burn anything.
    Last, i tried using the regular burning by opening the blank folder and clicking "Write these files to CD"...that didnt work either. It would stop halfway, and say that there is an error.
    And to add to all these problems, the elders in this house have banned me from Computer Administrator rights, so i cant install anything else.
    Can anyone help me out, and see if i can do anything with what i have?

- Kaiyon

14. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

DVD Shrink, AFAIR, does not decrypt the movie, at its simplest, it will take a DVD (barring protection codes) and copy it into another. Usually, you'd be using Decrypter to do it first. Then opening up those files (via Open Files) in Shrink, to burn into DVD.

15. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Like i said, i got that far. But it wont give me a burning option. Just an to make an ISO File.

- Kaiyon

16. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

...Yes. Make that ISO file, that's GOOD. Then open your favourite burning program, and use Burn ISO/Data. Hit File, Open, and select the ISO. Burn. Done.

17. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

yea, sorry, uber sucky week...

but w.e.

18. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

Well, it all goes nice and well with the writting...there's just that one problem i mentioned.
    Every time i try to burn a file, my computer says "Burning" but my DVD Burner drive is totally inactive. I can even open it while its "Burning" and the computer doesent seem to even notice i took it out.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong with my driver? It loads things just fine...but it wont burn any files or anything.

Help...please!?

- Kaiyon

19. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Are you burning to your hard drive? :v:

20. Kaiyon

Kaiyon Grim Reaper

No, Ive been trying to burn to a CD but it wont do it. My DVD Burner doesent seem to be doing what the computer says it is.
    And Ive already got the AUDIO/VIDEO_TS files AND an ISO file ready to burn to a DVD-CD. Ive followed the steps you said before, and they all went smoothly...its just my DVD Burner that isnt doing what its supposed to.

- Kaiyon