Computers Burning Issues

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Basher, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Okay I know all that stuff about burning but I have a little problem.

My driver will burn CDs but dvds wither it is .iso or vts files won't burn. Yes it is a dvd writer. :p It will sometimes burn .iso. It will burn DVDs with .avi most of the time with no problem. Some times though they won't be burned. Like when I put the dvd in that is burned (looks like it) my comp says it is blank this is also with .img (winimage). I have ran a virus check and a spyware check. It still is doing this. I have unpluged it and then back in seeing if that would help. Well after all this it got to 61%. Drivers reset or whatever I have windows XP. Those were able to burn a few VTS Files with Clonedvd. I just got new dvds. Looking into buying a different brand to see if those are the problems but they have worked on someone elses computer. And it was working up until them. But I don't think they are the problem because of someone elses computer. We have the same burner just different face colors and computers of course.

We thought it was Nero. Because I was able to burn a few with clone dvd2.

I was wondering is there something with in the dvd writer for dvds. I don't really want to replace one every six months because of all my burning. Someone said that to me. I sure hope he was kidding. :sweat:

I can't bring it back because it is one of those expensive ones for a nice price type thing. I don't want to buy another one because if it is my computer I don't want to ruin another one.

It reads everything fine btw. Better then my DVIX player.

I don't want to format. I should anyway or whatever it is called to clean up my drive. I am sitting at 105 GB on Anime, 10 GB on manga, and a lot for tv, movies, programs, adobe things I have done. I just hate burning anime when it isn't in order.

Anyway does anyone have this problem or know what to do? I have a Sony DVD+/- RW Sony 16x DWD26A.

It burns when it wants to not when I want it too. At least it seams like it. :anger:

I doubt it is the files because I have had next to none problems with them.

2. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

You're not the only one who's been reporting this problem . I'll go poke around the net and see if I can find a hardware forum that people have been sending this problem to en masse and see if we can figure out what's going on with this DVD epidemic.

As always go onto the Sony website and make sure that the drivers and everything are fully updated. Just because you have the correct drivers intstalled onto your computer doesn't mean that you have the most updated ones. This may be a problem they've been addressing over there at Sony for quite a while and they may have a fix for it.

~W

[Edit]: Does the Nero or the other programs give you an error message at all, if so what does it say?

1 person likes this.
  3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Just to be sure: when you try to burn an iso, you aren't simply dropping the iso into the "to burn" column, right?

4. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Using nero is much simpler. " Burn image " is actually a function while using that program. Locates an image file, and later burns it into a "normal" CD.

- Teddz

5. Basher

I have tried both. I am trying Alcohol. I really don't like using it. I don't think I ever really have.

Yeah I usually use Nero. I have no clue what is wrong. And I need to clean up my drives.

Anyway failed. It said image loading aborted or somehthing like that if that helps any. And I didn't do it.

6. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Probably corrupt ISO file?

- Teddz

7. Basher

The quick par was fine before I extracted it. And if I remember correctily no one posted it being corrupt. It usually happens when it is. I hope not to lose it something that I have been waiting for and who knows if it would come back at all.

Anyway it wasn't just this one there were many others that I had problems with.

I think it has something to do with that message I got but I can't figure out what.

I am running a windows update now. I went to a trouble shooter to see if that worked at all.

8. wertitis

Wow, this is a pain in the ass to troubleshoot. I'd like you to clarify a few things. I'm sorry if you've already answered these before, but a few answers were a little vague and/or confusing.

What is the EXACT error message that you get? Does it pop up before in the middle of the burn, at the end, at the start? What type (brand name and TYPE: i.e. double sided, single sided, ect...) of DVD-R's are you using? Are they a different brand than what you were using before? Have you tried to look at your "Bad" DVDs on another computer and see if they read them properly? Can you STILL burn anything else on your DVD burner apart from ISOs? Have you ALWAYS had problems burning ISOs or did this just pop up recently, and if so, did you do/did anythign happen to your computer right before the problem began to occur?

DUMMYCHECKS:

Make sure you are not burning a multi-session disc and that it's closed or finalised.

Make sure you're not "simulating" a burn either.

~W

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

What's the iso for?

10. Basher

Wow. A lot of questions to answer.

What is the EXACT error message that you get?
    The error message says something like the process has been stopped.

Does it pop up before in the middle of the burn, at the end, at the start?
    It has popped up at the start (when burning lead image, I think) 1% and in the middle. It has never made it to the end.

What type (brand name and TYPE: i.e. double sided, single sided, ect...) of DVD-R's are you using?
    Right now. Fujifilm, single sided.

Are they a different brand than what you were using before?
    I have used Verbatim, single sided and Sony, single sided. All are -R.

Have you tried to look at your "Bad" DVDs on another computer and see if they read them properly?

None were able to finish. The avi yes and no go for them. I also did it on a DVIX player. One that barely burned lead in or whatever was able to burn on someone elses computer. And what they burned worked fine.

Can you STILL burn anything else on your DVD burner apart from ISOs?
    Just CDs right now.

Have you ALWAYS had problems burning ISOs or did this just pop up recently, and if so, did you do/did anythign happen to your computer right before the problem began to occur?

I have never had this problem with burning ISOs tell now. Nothing has happened to my computer that I know of.

DUMMYCHECKS:
    Cleared.

What's the iso for?
    Samurai Champloo Vol. 4 the last Vol. I need for my collection. :'(

Can anyone think of anything for this problem?

Well if nothing works I am going to demand my money back. It wasn't as costly as I thought it was. Still it was a good burner up until now. If they don't they will hear me ***** and not like it one bit. I have not been able to burn for over two weeks. No one would want to be in the same room with me right now.

11. wertitis

I have to agree it does sound like a hardware problem and for several reasons-

#1: It used to work before, but now it doesn't and nothing has changed.

#2: It stops the process and dumps the disk at varying points during burns. If it were something software it would crash at about the same point every burn (unless, for some reason you trash the buffer)

#3: It's not just the ISO causing problems. You can burn AVI's but they wont run on other computers.

#4: You've checked all your drivers and used various burning programs and you still have the same problem.

You might be able to get an exchange if they won't refund you. Perhaps you just bought a bad drive. Sony products are usually dependable from my experiences. Unless someone else has any better ideas that would be my recommendation.

~W

12. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Have you tried burning a different ISO?

13. Basher

Yep. When I did that one I remembered that I also did a few (DVD9) that needed to be shrinked.

For some reason it is working. Ah burning now ah. I have burned three so far and they all work. :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks guys for helping. I am thinking it was the DVDs. But if when I buy new DVDs and it don't clear up I'll ask to replace my DVD drive. All that matters is that I can burn. :D

14. wertitis

Ooh la la, magic. Computers are crazy like that sometimes.

~W

15. Basher

Seams like it. I had to of thrown away like 25 DVDs for no reason whatsoever now.

16. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Might depend on the makers of DVDs too. A shoddy set of DVDs, even from brand name reputations. I believe you'd want to see Ritek on the DVD ring for a good set of burnables.

So, you probably threw those DVDs away for good reason.

Bad entire BATCHES do happen.

17. wertitis

Interesting. I did not know that. I'll keep that in mind the next time I dispense with some advice. Thanks.

~W

18. Basher

It apparentily was the case. Thank goodness. Strange but I guess it happens. I just about burnt 50 sony dvds and they all worked fine. Only1 did it mess up because my power shut off don't ask.

19. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

To be honest though, this case was a LOT worse than what I've seen happen to others. Most I've seen was ~60% fail rate, but that's only with a pack of 25 DVDs. From all the failures, I was thinking more hardware problems, as lasers do tend to fail after many repeated multiple uses (which I can attest to....twice).

Here's a great FAQ about buying DVD media: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I hope you folks can use it well. When I was at Best Buy, I was lucky enough to get some GREAT Memorex DVD-Rs for 4 bucks a spindle of 25. Thus, I'm overstocked on DVDs for a good while. =]

1 person likes this.
  20. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

RiData imo are better, my memorex backups died and had issues on the dvd player

1 person likes this.