Can someone help me? Is this Tomita?

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by DN38416, Oct 7, 2006.

1. DN38416

DN38416 New Member

hi guys
    i have been searching for a very long time.. trying to figure out what this awesome trippy space music is, that my mother taped off the radio way back in the 80s

so far i have found out that part of it is the track 'Venus, the bringer of peace' by Tomita

i'm wondering if the intro music before 'venus' and the music afterwards is all by Tomita.. and if so, what is it? and where can i get it/what album is it from?
    it all seems to go together quite nicely

i have recorded it to my computer.. and it's pretty bad quality.. and uploaded it to my webspace so you can have a listen to see if you know what it's from

the file is a little big (20meg) but if anyone can help i'd GREATLY appreciate it :)

here it is
    http://web.aanet.com.au/dantastic/venustomita.wma

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

Sorry, none of the before and after material is from a Tomita album. I'd say it's a radio show where they tried to fade between tracks.

3. DN38416

DN38416 New Member

ah ok..
    damn.. so you're sure it's not Tomita?
    i wonder what it is then

it's weird though, cos at the end of the Venus track, you hear the space ship sounds... and it sounds like it continues on into the next bit perfectly..
    *shrug*.. oh well

thanks heaps for the info though :)

4. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

Just my musical opinion. The first material isn't totally out of character. The choir sounds fairly real but that doesn't really factor in since Tomita has used real choirs. Then right before "Venus" there is some more sort of minimal or simple material that sounds nothing like Tomita. Then after "Venus" the music is sort of in a similar spirit and general tone but even more than the first the composition sounds like nothing Tomita's done. Tomita is very much a composer who works on paper with a score. I'm sure he does a lot of experimentation on his synths to tailor all his sounds but he's not like many electronic composers who sort of imporvise and build up tracks by feeling and editing. He quite literally has a symphonic approach that makes you think of traditionally orchestrated films and classical music but with a very much widened range of tone colors.

The classical feeling isn't there on the other tracks and the styles sound like a couple different composers might have been involved.

I don't know. Maybe it rings a bell to someone, obviously what would prove things is if someone recognizes those pieces.

One thing that might be worth it if you have the bandwidth to let more people download it - maybe put it on rapidshare or something if bandwidth is a problem. Maybe make a new file that's MP3? Anyway my suggestion is to try http://emforum.nl - which you'd have to register to post on - there are hundreds of mostly European space music fans with a very good memory of the 80s and 90s. Odds are if it isn't original or unreleased music someone there could name those tunes.

5. DN38416

DN38416 New Member

awesome.. thanks a lot for your help ndkent
    i'll check out your link

6. peterdd

peterdd New Member

The music at the beginning and end of the soundclip is from Michael Stearns' -Planetary Unfolding.

7. frommyvalentino

frommyvalentino New Member

Wow, that's an awesome song, lol.

8. DN38416

DN38416 New Member

OMG if that's true.. thank you so much peterdd!

now i gotta find it! :D

9. DN38416

DN38416 New Member

IT IS!!! just went to his website and listened to a sample

thank you SO much!
    what a relief.. after all this time

10. RPLines

RPLines New Member

I'm A Tomita Fan!

:) Just wanted to introduce myself as a long-time Isao Tomita fan.
    I've got most or all of his albums, and came to this site and am answering to your Post because I was browsing and looking for Tomita to see if he's put out any new albums, as I would look at the album covers to see if I recognize anything new. I'm new and about to go looking! Ask me, I listen to classical, but, am dumb to not pay attention to the name of all movements I listen to, but...I'd recognize it.
    Silly Man, And Technician From Memphis, TN....
    Richard Lines
    :cool: