Comics comics vs manga

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bloodberry, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

comics vs manga.
    let the debate begin lol jk. this is just to tell ya, manga are not comics. comics are america/british made ..well...comic books. you know, about 30 pages long at max, every now and again they actually bunch em together for a graphic novel, give it a bad movie, and then drag the story on forever.

manga is asian comics. printed in magazines, released in pocket novels of over 200 pages, and given shows that don't normally bomb.

this forum is for the first chunk. the manga forums are for the latter part. please post accordingly. *^-^*

2. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Manga, easily. I don't really read comics, with a few exceptions(like Vasquez), but I do read manga. So, kind of a no brainer.

3. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

Love Batman to death....

But I'd say manga. Manga has *gasp* art quality, and *gasp* reasonable pacing, and *gasp* accually finishes story lines.

American comics bug me. I mean come on, were at Batman like 700 something. Sheesh. I vote for quality not quantity.

4. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I can't read comics. The panels confuse me, someone put them in backwards. =P

5. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

While I prefer manga, I will enjoy that which gives me a good, entertaining read.

While I highly dislike stories that never end, some comics do exist which I hope do not end for a long, long time (like Knights of the Dinner Table, and thats because there are story arcs, and people stay dead, and changes are forever and whatnot... no magic here... BTW if u dont know, its a comic about role-players. No, not role-players who become their characters. Just everyday people. Its one of those 'I know a moment just like that!!!' things... where you honestly, truely connect with it)

As for art, I've seen bad comic art, I've seen bad manga art. I've seen good comic art, I've seen good manga art.

But for me it all comes down to story.

You could have the most incredible art ever, but I'm not going to like it at all if the story is bad.

6. Q-uzi

Q-uzi Guest

Hum soo.....

ok on one side we have manga. but the vast amounts of manga styles, which do you mean?

and we have comics? batman and supermando you mean?

but what about graphic novels like Death or the books of magic or even prometheus?

if you compare what many belive the top or the genras.

Ghost in the shell vs Death : the high cost of living
    [i dont belive simple comics stand a chance soo.]

this makes it a very hard call. it simple comes down to individual likes and dislikes.

hum, i didnt settle this iscussion did i? only made it worse.. hehehe

oh well

Q-uzi

7. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

ya know what's really funny? i posted this so ppl would know the difference between manga and comics...not a which do you prefer more discussion...lol by comics i mean "NOT ASIAN MADE"
    by manga i mean "MADE IN ASIA"...sigh...if it didn't come from the japanese area of the ring of fire, then it's comics...

8. Q-uzi

Q-uzi Guest

duh

not all mangas are made in "asia" [majority in japan, chinese comics are NOT manga.]
    and not all ghrpahic novels/ comics are western issue.

you are fairly narrow minded and one of these peaple who belive tyhey are manga fans becuase they can quote everthing and know every last detial.

you are so , so fake.

hello i write and draw manga , am i japanese ? no
    i live in england,

adam warren in the usa.and hes made one of the best.

once again. you are so,so fake.

god also not everthing in japan is a manga. and oh god no help me Manga is a style of art/grpaphic novels and not a name for "made in japan"

god damn fool.

Q-uzi

[sorry for not being polite but peaple like you annoy me, i garantee you know ever thing about ever character in dbz. though i am surprised you like manga as well as anime.]

9. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Well, the two forums seem to be made to be a separation between styles. I'm sure BB and a few others are fully aware that there's a Batman manga going on right now...and that this forum is meant in terms of generalization. I mean, it's pretty moot to have both a "Manga" and a "Comic" section if, relatively speaking, you can post in either one about, say...Ghost in the Shell. Take out the "made in asia" part, and it's pretty true. But, it seems that BB put that in there to ephasize the fact that X-Men is different in execution than that of "Furi Kuri" or "Rurouni Kenshin."

Oh, and BB, I was sort of aware of the point of this post, I just couldn't resist replying. ;) XOXO...LOL.

10. Q-uzi

Q-uzi Guest

you are all so , so ,so,so ,so FAKe

do you anser the phone withg mushimushi?

do you say genki desu ka? alot

and say domo everywhere?

im learning japanese [not as amanga lover but for my carrer plan]

and you learn ever last move from such a bad manga. FAKe children

you are so ,so annoying. get a life learn to live. details are not impotant.

argh.

Q-uzi

11. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Then why the argument? Overlook it and leave it alone. I'm going to fan the flames here because I am ALSO learning japanese, and what's so important about that? You learn, I learn, wow. That doesn't make you the penultimate in the facts. Rather, it makes me want to tell you to learn formal English first, so you can pronounce and write sentences. No offense though.

And I'm not liking the fact that you are calling ME annoying when YOU are the one making ME try to translate what you're trying to say.

And I DO happen to say "Moshi moshi" when I have knowledge that the person on my phone has passable knowledge with what it means or is in Japanese classes as well.

I also say "Ogenki desu ka" when I see a friend I haven't seen for a while.

I say "domo" because it's a reflex.

I say "Boku wa" before saying "I am", "I...", etc.

I try and speak Japanese whenever I can (though the oppotunities for such have been wane lately, even less than that of my being able to study it.) because it's good exercise.

Edit: By the way, please, don't assume anything about me here. You don't know me. I happen to be a very likable kinda guy...and if you don't like that...********************************************!!! Or something along those asterisks. :p ;)

12. Q-uzi

Q-uzi Guest

heheheheh

offence...........and you wannaa tech ma engish?ya i no wa u men.

i speak formal english very well. but im comfy with the way i right.
    with speed.

and well done for learning japanese. wow amazing. but your need to speak it so often is a worry but still my point being that..............wait for it..............wait for it.........

give manga fans a bad name, the peale who puchas and know all about their fav. manga/anime yet dont know much about manga or are open to other manga styles and simple fall in love with the ones that cartoon network show............

never open and you like it because it is the new popular.
    and this is pathertic. if your going to like something. like it for yourself.

god half the dbz fans i know , know everything about dbz but dont know that its manga, [a very poor one in my opinion]

and although you can real of a million facts it shows that where as you maybe a otaku you still miss the point.

you watch a anime and read a manga and dont see its meaning. just all the "kewl" action and sex[ hentai before you ask]

you are all so,so fake.

Q-uz

13. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Q-uzi, I have something to say.
    [​IMG]

Wow, all before you got to know me! Actually, I'm horrendous with quotes unless they are particularly memorable. Details? Pfft. Maybe if I've got a technical manual handy.

Nope, I'm a real person.

Maybe YOU'RE fake! Maybe we are ALL fake! MAYBE ITS ALL JUST SHADOWS ON A CUBICLE WALL!

Actually, I for one hate DBZ. And know what? People like YOU annoy me: people who feel they must be rude if a person doesn't meet their high expectations, yet doesn't use grammar OR spelling skills you learn early in life.

No.

No.

No.

Good for you. We don't particularly care.

'such a bad manga'. What? How do you know what manga we read, if any? I for one have nearly all my stuff *translated* to begin with, so theres nothing to learn. "Fake Children"? ****, cloning tech seems to have advanced quite rapidly.

Wait, wait: details aren't important? So, you just like to pick general things? "Rob, I need one of those hypo-chloro whatchamacallits, kay? Any glass container will do."

Now, YOU get a life. Instead of *****ing about how much you hate everyone here, just pack your bags and leave. Why did we make generalizations early on?

Appealing to the lowest common denominator, ala Fox. And to avoid idiots misinterpreting. Sadly, IT DIDN'T F*CKING WORK.

1 person likes this.
  14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Re: heheheheh

Precisely where are you getting this DBZ part from? Oh, I know, you're pulling it out your @$$! It's not the only thing we talk about!

As for 'you are all so,so fake', I've seen this technique before.

It's called "hands over ears and yap like a dog", and generally used by people who can't craft a real argument, and instead chose to insult their competition.

And before you DARE mention @$$, its because the mods censored a-s-s.

15. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

lol

/me does the dance of the drunkleprachaun

i shall call him forth upon the newbie!

16. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

oh for crying out loud... I thought this kid was 8 or 9 or something, but he's 19!!
    for the love of pete, he's 19 and he's as coherent as a 2 year old mental patient on morphine!

(that was a good analogy eh?)

NEWBIE, GET SOME SKILLZ

17. oeneo-san

oeneo-san New Member

nup.

18. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

Q-uzi=Gobshite

Q-Uzi, you are what we would call in this country, a gobshite. You have the tact of a 2 year old and the wit of a cow. You come along here judging people, calling them fake. **** you, you stupid ****. Bloodberry is very knowledgable about anime and manga, I'm pretty damn sure she knows more about it than you, you ignorant halfwit. So you know, this thread was made to see whether people preffered eastern or western comics, not to define what they were. Everyone else figured out what it meant, but I guess you're just special, you braindead moron.
    Manga, the word, means "irresponsible images", comics, but around here, we define it to mean comics made in japan, you twoddle head. You may find different definitions of it elsewhere, but they don't matter, because we are not elsewhere, we are here. You dumbass.
    I too am learning japanese, but I don't answer the phone with "moshi moshi"(good spelling there by the way), and I don't say "O-genki desu ka". Why? Because I would look like a twat. I do say the odd word here and there when talking to my friends or whatever, but I do the same with german and irish, which I also speak, you ignorant bastard. Also, you might want to try brushing up your english skills before trying to learn japanese. Youar haev teh bda gramer.
    Here, this is what you said in your last post, just in case you made it without reading it:
    You ****ing dickass. What the hell are you basing this sweeping accusations on? You're psychic powers? If you had taken the time to read any of the other posts on this forum, you would see that most of the posts here are made with a degree if intelligence. We analyse the finer points of anime and manga, just look at the Evangelion board. You shitbrained piece of ****.
    On to your point, we watch anime for teh kewl saexxor and teh violence. Bullshit. You don't know jack about us, but you continue to make this ignorant remarks. **** you. **** you to hell. Hentai is not even discussed here for the most part, and people considering the violence in an anime the most important thing is rare.
    Next you'll probably accuse me of the same things as you have with the others. Before you do though, you should know that I don't have Cartoon Network and I've never seen DBZ or read the manga. I do watch most anime when it's on TV, but I am very critical of it. I despise the over editing of it. I go to very great lengths to get anime, as it is extremely hard to get in ireland, but I think it's worth it.
    Well congratulations, you managed to draw out Black DrunkLeprachaun(one of my plethora of otakufacts that I learned off by heart, ya know{it's from fruits basket, or have you heard of that one?}). You also managed to drag a perfectly good thread entirely off topic. Are ya glad? Are you proud? I don't know, but I'll tell you what you are, you're full of ****, you're judgemental, you're an ignoramus(that means you have a lack of knowledge), you're pig headed, arrogant, stupid and every other bad thing you can think up. Get some skillz.

****ing goshite.

19. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

After the attacks from me and DrunkLeprechaun, I officially announce the status of Q-uzi...

[​IMG]

edit note: for some reason, the IMG code doesn't always play happy. Even when its just a jpg file. Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.