Computers Computer problem

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Basher, May 4, 2007.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I put in a new processor (because someone told me it could be the problem) but after a while it started to do it again. My computer keeps on "overclocking" and getting hot. How can I fix that?

Someone said motherboard or maybe a program err?

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

1) Did you make sure some sort of thermal compound was applied before attaching the heatsink? Most processors these days come with some form of pre-applied solution and usually don't take any more effort than removing the plastic wrapper. Alternatively you can apply your own thermal compound.

2) Is your heatsink properly attached and powered? Run your rig open case if you need better visibility of the components - make sure the heatsink fan is spinning when it powers up.

3) Give your insides a good working over with some compressed air. Over time the fans and insides will accumulate dust that will raise temperatures.

4) If your machine is not intended to be overclocked, enter the BIOS on startup (usually DEL or F1) and ensure that your core's clock speed isn't ramped up. You should be able to reset to default factory settings.

5) If your machine is intended to be overclocked, ensure you have proper air flow in your case and that your settings aren't too crazy - if you're using standard equipment and not after-market cooling you won't be able to push your hardware too far without overheating.

6) Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for a BIOS update and instructions on how to flash it.

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

what processor is it?

what motherboard is it?

some motherboards batteries, eventually, die out and start giving those "amnesia" problems, equally cheap cheap boards

4. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

I can rule out anything with processor right? Considering I put a new one in and after a little while it started doing it again.

Mother Board: Asus P5AD2-E
    Processor: LGA 775 3 ghz One I had in.

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

well...

I can only recommend...

buy some, or ask someone, to apply new thermal paste between the heatsink and the cpu...

Artic Silver Ceramic is highly recommended

you could also upgrade the BIOS

you could replace the battery in the motherboard