Languages and Culture Cultural Backgrounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chiquitabanana, Jun 28, 2004.

1. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I would like to know what everyones cultural background is.

I am part Swedish (Viva la SWEDES!), Icelandic, German, Spanish, Austrian, Swiss, and Russian. V. Diverse.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dante

Dante New Member

Part German, Polish, Italian, Slovish (or something) and French.

I don't know which roots are my strongest and such, I think my great grandmother on my father's side was from Italy, though. Not sure, though, since I never cared for my father's side.

3. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

Background & the Language(s) You Speak

Hopefully this thread will get people talking in this forum. Here's two simple questions:

1.) What's your background? As in, where are you from?

2.) What other language(s) can you speak aside from English?

My Personal Answers:

1.)I'm half Jamaican and half Canadian(i think my dad's Canadian, if not, BLEH)...i have like 7.5% German somewhere in me:p

2.) I can only speak English (woot) and Jamaican slang, heh. I know a bit of French from the nine bloody years of learning it in school. I'm also trying to learn Japanese at the moment:D

4. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

Im mostly Korean some Japanese

i speak English and Japanese fluently and some broken Spanish and a little tiny bit of French...

5. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

Hmm, well I'm half arabic (but I've been born and raised in the U.S ^^), and part English, Irish, and I think a very small fraction of me is German.

Languages? English of course... and Pig Latin XD. But no, I don't really know any foreign languages, though I'm starting French next year so hopefully I'll learn something.

6. chiquitabanana

chiquitabanana finally legal

I speak Spanish (fluent), German, a lil ASL, starting Italian, and im still not done!

7. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

I'm of basically European and Native American descent. It's tough for me to name everything, but Normandy French, English, Scottish, Irish, and a whole bunch of other European places, as well as Acadian and Native American.

Edit: I forgot German out of the ones I know for sure :p.

I speak English, French and Spanish fluently, and can make my way in Japanese, German, Italian and I know some latin, Chinese and Korean, as well as a few others.

8. XXIXreformed

XXIXreformed New Member

I'm:

Spanish
    Mexican (yes those are two seperate cultures)
    Native-American
    Dutch
    Irish
    Scotish
    British
    Swedish

And I think that's it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kagome's Arrow

Kagome's Arrow Princess of Unicorns

I find it funny that while boards.jp is based on the japanese culture, not a single person has stated that they're even the tiniest bit Japanese ^_^

10. sakana

sakana New Member

I'm Dutch and Filipino; my mom's a Tiduray from the southren Philippines and my dad's from Holland. I'm growing up in Canada and have never been on a plane..

I speak and write in English, and can understand some German and Spanish[mostly ones on my webhosts' sites ^^;], and speak and write Japanese from a beginners' course.

That blue-green script in my sig is an extinct Filipino syllabic alphabet, Baybayin; spelling out 'sa ka na' :catgirl:

11. vash the stampede

vash the stampede New Member

i was born in usa and still live here im very mixed but not mixed looking.im part irish,polish,welsh,indian,italian,french,spanish i think,and american.english too. :anime:

but i only speak english i want to learn japanese.im going to learn japanese :anime:

oh and im part russian and german.

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

i did. im a 1/4 Japanese. 3/4 Korean.

13. wing_goddess

wing_goddess Power User

Wow, i didn't know a lot of people have so many in their backgrounds...like 5 or 6! i feel so plain:p

14. soundofsilence

soundofsilence New Member

Let's see, I'm French, British, Scottish, Irish, Portuguese and Melungeon (and proud of it). My maternal great grandmother was half-Cherokee, so I have a bit of that in me as well. For some reason most people think I'm of German descent, but as far as I know I don't have a drop of German blood in me.

I speak English and a little bit of French. My father's side of the family used to speak French fluently as well as English, but my grandmother put a stop to it because she had no idea what they were saying.

15. Jaken

Jaken Coin Locker Baby

Herm. . . . Welch, English, Scottish, Chaldean, Slavonic, and a small bit of Ukrainian. (some of those spellings I think are wrong. . .^^;; ) I think thats it. . o_o

1 person likes this.
  16. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

im 3/4 Polish and 1/4 Russian. My family lives in Russia and I study in Australia. I speak Russian Polish and English all fluent :anime: . Also i speak a little bit of Italian(i went there for holidays for 3 month) and Japanese(i have a Japanese flatmate).

17. kitty-ko

kitty-ko New Member

Well, basically I'm 1/2 Australian, 1/2 Kiwi (New Zealand)
    *glares at boards* NO SHEEP JOKES!! You have been warned.... :catgirl:
    I am also of Irish descent too. My grandmothers parents were Irish. Oh and my great-great grandparents were Japanese. I...think....

I'm fluent in English and German, have some basic understanding of other launguages like Japanese and French (I said BASIC though lol) and let's not forget my amazing Pig Latin and Double Dutch skills ;)

1 person likes this.
  18. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

well i am 70% Italian(but dont look like it) 15% Irish(Freckles suck) about 5% Spanish and about 10% English(British) Thats about it i do speak Italian too :anime:

19. BotticelliLover

BotticelliLover New Member

I am mostly German, but also am Swedish(about an 1/8), English, and, I think, Irish.

I was born in the US, so therefore know English. I know French decently well, but not fluently(I'm working on it). I can understand a smattering of German and Spanish too. Both my parents speak German fluently.

1 person likes this.
  20. jackking456

jackking456 New Member

me hispanic.