Languages and Culture Cultural Backgrounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chiquitabanana, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Feena

Feena New Member

You people are from all over the place! As far as I know I'm pretty much all Irish, and that's it, but what do I know ? - got the red hair and green eyes to match too :sweat2: . I can speak Irish reasonably well and and a little French, which I should know much more of at this stage :dizzy: .

2. Dilandau

Dilandau Highly Disturbed

Well, my mother is Austrian - I know that much. XD My father's side of the family is a little bit harder to place. I know I have some Irish, but I can't remember everything else that my dad mentioned. He kind of killed my interest in family geneology when I was in my teens and he'd talk about it all the damn time. XD

I pretty much only speak English, but one of these days I do intend to learn Japanese. >_>

3. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

sooo tempting...but i won't :p

i'm scottish and that's pretty much it! but i'm afraid i don't have red hair and wear a kilt all the time, so much for the stereotype :catgirl:

4. kitty-ko

kitty-ko New Member

You left something out. So I'm going to assume you have bagpipe jamborees and do little jigs in your spare time ;) Hey, Spiggy? *poke*

I don't drink beer, say 'g'day mate' or 'shrimp on the barbie', live on a farm, have a pet koala, or speak like steve irwin *shudder* either. Gotta love those steroetypes :anime:

5. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I'm basically Indian/Pakistani, middle-eastern. Half of my family is European (my cousin is Swedish, too!) A lot of close realtives are indonesian and stuff, which is why I look a liddle oriental. And of course, all my roots and everything are from the middle east. *nod*

6. Spiggy

Spiggy Freak of Nature

hehe i don't play bagpipes, but i do play fiddle - that's scots violin, for those who haven't a clue what i'm banging on about! :rolleyes:

aww, a pet koala would be sooo cute!! but like you said, gotta love those stereotypes!
    :D

7. Kain

Kain Plaything of Doom

Anyway as far as i can tell i'm totally irish, i know that my Great grandparents were around during the rising about 88 years ago. And as far as i know we were all from Ireland.
    I can speak a little irish but it's not great, i studied french for 3 years but i never learned a word cause the teacher was a joke. And i know about 3 words in Japanese, which is more then i know in french.

8. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I am part French (on my father's side), with Spanish and Jewish on Ma's side. And I'm Hispanic, as well. Since I'm Puerto Rican there's a good chance I've got some black in there, too. (I have the spots to prove it! XD)

If that made no sense, disregard it. ^_~

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Belgian/Dutch/French. I'm like taking a few scoops of ice cream and letting it sit on spin cycle for a while. All nice an colorful beforehand, but a messy, gloopy, brown afterwards. ^^

1 person likes this.
  10. Hiro

Hiro Active Member

lol...wow... :sweat: what an interesting description...lol....any ways i forgot i am also a little bit of Belgian...im a mutt in common terms..lol

11. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

I'm brown! *high five*

12. seraphinx

seraphinx Oy, Artista!

:glazed: I didn't even know this forum existed for a month! :anger: No one told me!

Anyways, I'm Filipino American. Not Hawaiian! Just cuz someone is from Hawaii, you can't call em Hawaiian. It's like calling a white guy "Samoan" just cuz he's from Samoa. :dizzy2:

Yeah, I'm from the island of Kauai, I speak normal English, local pidgin English, and Ilocano.

13. NoDa

NoDa New Member

Wing_goddess! I took french for 8 years! It really sucked, and ever since i transfered schools i forgot everything i learned. :sweat2:

Um well, I'm full Japanese :D I know quite a bit, but not enough to speack profecianaly with some people, but i can talk to my friends that are currently there now!

I agree with seraphinx, I live in Hawaii, and i don't like being called Hawaiian, cause i'm not... lol. I live on Oahu.

14. jakotsu chan

jakotsu chan Nevermore!

Im Polish,Germen,Irish,British,Scotish,French,and Native American. Im mostly Polish though, then comes German. I speak English and Polish, but only enough Polish to say when I want something or to have small talk. Im suprised that theres not many Japanese people here.

15. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

I'm mostly finnish, but I have a bit of hungarian in my blood... I do have cousins in Canada which I never met, but aren't probably anybody here and in Sweden wich I have met, and because I don't speak swedish, I have to speak english with them. The people in Canada and Sweden have originally been finnish, but have just moved there for some reason.

I speak english and finnish fluently and some words on other languages that I made frases of (mostly comic) like in german (I'm not sure how you spell this): Ist dere ein panzarwagen in dein lederhosen? Which translates: Is there an armoured truck in your leather pants, if I remember correctly.

16. Saiyan ChiChi

Saiyan ChiChi New Member

I am half Russian.

I can speak bits and peices of other languages but Im not fluent in anything but English :rolleyes:

17. Kaori

Kaori New Member

I speak fluent English, mandarin chinese, and japanese. Kind of working on my spanish/latin...but not getting anywhere...

I was born in the US, lived in Australia and Japan, and now back to the US

18. Sanyu

Sanyu Member

I am mostly Australia, and I'm also Danish, Slave and Irish. Damn family :anger2: No asian :sad:

~~Kind Reagrds, Cady~~

19. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

I'm as white as white can be. The various branches of my family came from (and left relatives in) Switzerland, England, Denmark and Finland. My family name is Swiss.

I speak English and German, thanks to 4 years of high school german, about the same in university and some years of working in Germany. It is nice to be able to talk with the relatives in Switzerland, though I have no clue what they are saying when they use the Swiss dialect :D Standard German is our friend.

as in Babylonian?

20. quietstorm007

quietstorm007 New Member

I'm a brown-skinned Bahamian gal born, bred and still living in the Bahamas! ^^;

I can only speak English (unfortunately). I know some Spanish (thanks to those classes in junior high but, I've gotten a little rusty) and I can speak a bit of Creole (thanks to my job where I have to deal with Haitians on an almost daily basis. Alot of them live here). Now, I'm trying to learn Japanese (and possibly some Chinese too since there are more Chinese people than Japanese people living here).