Movies Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Engel, May 30, 2006.

1. Engel

Engel New Member

Hey!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I used the Search to find a thread about the Da Vinci Code (not the book, but the movie), so I decided to open one!

I thought that the Da Vinci Code was an awesome movie when my boyfriend took me out to see it. The movie really wanted me to read the book now... And to those that haven't seen it or read the book, I am not going to spoil it of anything.

So what did everybody else think of the movie?

2. Fushigi Rockna

I never read the book. But my friend who is absolutely obsessed with it wanted me to come with to watch the movie on her brithday. =)

I wasn't sure how I was gonna like it at first, but I really, really enjoyed it. i don't know where people gte off saying it's hard to follow...I never even read the book and i was figuring out stuff before Hanks was. o_O I thought I wans't going to understand it at all before i went in, but i found it was quite simply done. =)

My friend was happy, because she said they stayed really true to the book. =) So even tho I enjoyed the movie, I'm not gonna read the book. XD (but mostly because I heard it's like a glorified movie script anyways, and I'mreally picky about books i read and the narration in them. =))

And Jean Reno.... SQUEE!!! <3 yes, i like older, French men, leave me alone!!! o_O

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Jean Reno was actually the inspiration for that role, according to Brown.

It really helped the movie that actors that I enjoy watching somehow made it into the movie as well: Magneto/Gandalf, Paul Bettany, and Doc Ock.

Anyway, I never read the book either, but I found the movie to be...wierd. I loved the theories and discussions, but I found that the actual movie was really just asinine. I know that's the way it happened in the book, but it was wierd how not everyone was who they were claiming to be, for the most part. And how the ultimate double cross almost came out as predictable from the get-go.

Overall, I think that in a book, those particular events would read better and more suspensful...but in a movie, when everything's played out...it seems predictable and almost bland.

Again, I loved the discussions and such though. Not to mention I went when there were Code Protesters on the front of the theatre. "Jesus or Code?" Heh.

4. Fushigi Rockna

Some people who read the book said it always looked like it would make a more engrossing movie tho. xD they say it really was written like a movie script; it had cut scenes like a movie and everything.
    But that's just what I was told. =P From multiple people. xD

That's cool that the inspiration for the character played the character. =D

5. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Apparently, I'm from the minority where it seems that it would be better scripted out in a book. =P

Then again, I haven't read it, so it's not as if I'm correct.

6. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

Personally, I was more of a fan of Angels and Demon [the prequel to Da Vinci code] because it seemed to hold alot more suspense and a tad less search and solve. But I like both books overall and when I saw the movie, I was slightly disappointed by it. I mean..Tom Hanks? Pssh, like he's got the goods to pull off Robert Langdon. I just couldn't see it in him, so maybe that put a damper on my movie watching. >.>;;

7. Seishin

Seishin Guest

The movie was great, I liked it.

What I don't like is the fact that people take this too seriously. I said it on BUS, and I'll say it on BJP, IT'S FICTIONAL, IF THAT'S YOUR RELIGION, TOO BAD. IT'S NOT REAL. DOC OCK ISN'T PLOTTING WITH MAGNETO/GANDALF TO TAKE OVER THE RELIGION, RELAX.

:p

-Seishin

8. Fushigi Rockna

Quoted for sweet, wonderful truth. =P

9. Engel

Engel New Member

That it is, my friend. That it is.

Gotta love Seishin. ^_^

To put all my commentary in a nutshell:

Yes, yes, and yeeeeeess!!
    The movie is a must-see, I think. I simply loved the roles that the actors played. Compared to all other movies I have heard about and seen, DVC is definately the best out of them all-- this is my opinion. You may argue if you'd like to.

My Mother would agree with that. Lol. :anime:
    I suppose it would depend on how well you are with the language that the book is in? Surely, there are translations?

Angels and Demons; I must read that book. Do you recomend reading it before or after DVC? Some people have a sense about this-- but I am interested in the peoples' suggestion.

10. Fushigi Rockna

Meant to ask this before, but out of curioisity who'd you'd think would make a better Langdon? I'm just curious because my friend said nicholas cage was what she pictured. i wanna know what other people thought. =D

I was told you don't have to. But I'd say it'd be a good idea. o.o

11. LilyRose

LilyRose Pocky Junkie

I read the book, now I've seen the movie, and I was impressed how well they stuck to the storyline. It was the most accurate portrayal of a book I've seen in ages. Maybe I'm being pernicky, but I hate it when films change the storylines........
    It was pretty good. Go Ian Mckellen!