Dawn Chorus

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by ndkent, Oct 31, 2004.

1. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

As some Tomita fans might have noticed, "Dawn Chous" has a very different track order than the U.S. LP "Canon of the Three Stars". I've come to the conclusion that the U.S. order was tampered with by RCA and the track order on "Dawn Chorus" reflects what Tomita planned for the album. While the U.S. album starts with a classical favorite (Pachalbel's Canon in D), a track that probably helps for marketing (people see it first on the track list, radio stations usually just throw on the first track unless they are told differently, I realized on first listening that the U.S. playing order just sounds like a bunch of tracks, there's not much flow from track to track and then it just ends with the last piece. I never though until recently, even after hearing the Japanese release had a different track order that the tracks make a lot more sense in a different order. The title track is clearly chosen and arranged as an openning track. It establishes a sort of almost dawn atmosphere (it's pointlessly concludes side A on the US LP)... both have the whistle train #2 signifying a journey - which makes sense. But the seemingly original Japanese order continues on an all Villa-Lobos journey until the end of side A and opens with the well known Albanoni Adagio on side B. As for the U.S. LP the track order seems completely random after the second track.