Television Disappointment in Cartoon Network

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SLCpunk, Jun 12, 2003.

1. SLCpunk

SLCpunk New Member

The thing is that there's this new anime show airing in Cartoon Network, don't get me wrong I think It's cool and all but why watch it if I know that cartoon network is either gonna get it off the air of repeat episodes over and over and over and over again... I mean don't they always do that?... It's the same thing with all the anime they air, they either take it off the air of repeat the episodes till you hate that Anime, at least that happend to me with DBZ .... what do you guys think?

2. Snake

Snake Member

errrr.... wat anime??

over and out

3. Sarah of Borg

Sarah of Borg New Member

I think he's talkin about Kikaida (or whatever it's called.) At first I wasn't sure but now I'm starting to like it.

-Sarah of Borg

4. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

what's kikaida? I'm disappointed with cartoon network because they place these animes on adult swim, and still cut it up and censor it.

like give me a break, so Sora is a character killer.. doesnt mean the player is dead... (.hack)

5. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

eheh, they cut .hack?

oh lordie, now it's going to be even *more* confusing hehe

6. neoblacklady

neoblacklady ~*Tpyo Godedses*~

Its a shame what cartoon network does. It gets soo bad you know all the damn words ..and then they finally play a bit more.. then replay it all 10 times .. then get more episodes..restart everything and new episodes.. heh .. they should just finish all of it for ****ing sakes and air it, instead of pulling that bullshit.

7. Mordeth

Mordeth Mordeth Vult!

they were terrible with Dbz.. they played the cell saga 2 or 3 times in a row, was really annoying

8. Zero Enna

Zero Enna New Member

Don't you guys mean Kikaider? Anyway I HATE THAT F***ING SHOW! Its comes from a real time show called Kikada Whic is like a Japanese version of Power Rangers. My Parents LOVE that stupid show and i hate Power Rangers and ?ANy Kikaida things. They made a BIG mistake Putting that show on 'cause i think it was a kid show.

9. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

First of all cartoon network doesn't cut anything they don't make the series translated over some other company does.
    Second cartoons are considered here for kids unlike in japan (anime)
    Third there is always reruns (summer) until they can get the next stuff done for fall until summer
    Forth I hate it also but that is just the way things are here in the states

10. Phalanx

Phalanx Long Live M2A!

To me, it seems that an anime is cool until they get thrown on CN. Then the Dragonball effect takes place were they play it half to death (most of the stuff anyways) and/or some of the more noteworthy shows are edited and dubbed half to death (as Basher19 said, CN doesn't do the dubbing. But that doesn't make it better).

Kikaider is alright to me, needs more action. The old version was so much better tho. I sure wish they would stop re-doing older animes and either show the original or make up something new.

11. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

actually basher, they do edit it. the network can edit it, or ask the original company that released it to do so. i would like to point out that the girls were naked in the bath in tenchi. thus is the point of a bath. they're an animation studio also and have access to how to do that.
    not always is it released in it's censered version. some stuff was edited for them, dbz.
    i don't mean to be all "CN is gereat!" but well, they are getting anime exposed. i've had loads of ppl buy the bebop dvd's cause they saw it on there. getting that way with trigun. hell, that's how i first saw inu yasha...and am holding out for the box set that's, in theory, coming.
    yes, they have cut some great series, or gone into repeats with some. reboot is one i love, but they dropped that, hell they even told them to not finish the last season for them. i need to hunt those down...
    but, they are also a business, which means they do what they have to to keep running. to be competitive. for the most part, they do a pretty good job. as good as you can hope for from a business anyway.

12. Amarhyllis

Amarhyllis New Member

Bloodberry has a point. If it wasn't for CN, I wouldn't have known or even had the chance to watch all the anime's I love today. Like Inu Yasha, Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, .hack//sign, etc. Most of my anime life was shrouded by Sailor Moon and Gundam but once I started to watch a little more, I began to give up and create a new favorite list.
    As for the censoring, in the daytime (with Rurouni Kenshin, DBZ, and everything else) I wish that they wouldnt censor it because it hides all the anime has the offer. But they have to think of the younger viewers. If they were to play the unedited version of DBZ...oh my god... Speaking of DBZ, they have been playing that show for TOO LONG. I mean, time to let it go. It's not that great of a show. Sure when I first watched it, I thought it was the bomb too but then it faded. I'm sick of seeing it too.
    Now the censoring of the night run (Adult Swim)...I wish that they wouldn't censor it. What am I staying up for if I'm not watching everything? But it'll just have to do...
    I like Kikaider. I thought that I wouldn't, I even tried to convince myself that wouldn't, but I couldn't. I just ended up liking it anyway.

13. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Re: Disapointment at Cartoon Network

Most anime series only run 13-26 episodes, and a majority of the stuff CN picks up is likewise 26 episodes. If they run those weekly, you only get a two-season run of it - considerably less if they run it every day of the week.

But networks have to pay to show the stuff they do, so it follows quite reasonably to re-run the series when it finishes.

This is usually why most networks won't consider paying to rerun shows in syndication until it has been on for at least five seasons. The lifespan ensures episodes are numerous enough to prevent a ton of repetition, and usually means it appeals to enough people in popularity.

If something lacks popularity, it's also only sensible to shift it to a less favorable time slot or even nix it from air altogether. Ever had a new favorite show that gets cancelled quickly? Happens all the time to me.

Networks are businesses, after all, meaning their main goal is to make money from their broadcasting.

While American type television seems to bank on successful series that last many seasons over, Japanese anime seems built to run 1-2 seasons, before things get stale. There are exceptions in more successful runs, but there you go.

14. Roffey

Roffey I'm As Free As A Bird Now

Funimation did the editing fo the Dragonball series. And we all no funimation sucks

15. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Join the club of Sub fans. :p That's exactly why I like all my anime bought or downloaded. On TV, I only watch movies and stuff... so we only ordered the action channel.

16. excel_hyatt_kat

excel_hyatt_kat New Member

Same goes with Sailor moon, I started liking it when they like had 12 episodes left. They took it off! And now the have stupid shows! Did they have to do that? I'm talken things like~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Naruto
    Pokemon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
    Now those are STUPID! Thats why I REALLY hate Cartoon network now!

17. Chane

Chane Audience of One

Frankly, Naruto (even the dub and the fillers) is much more interesting and entertaining then crap like Sailor Moon. Though I care little for the series they show outside of Adult Swim.

18. Superfly

Superfly Active Member

Well I ain't got CN here (unless on PpV), but when it comes in terms of reruns, it's Nickelodeon which does a baaaad job here..
    I mean, I think they air the same episode 3 times a week.. they air a "new" episode in the afternoon program, then rerun it the morning after, and once again in the weekend.
    We aren't getting much new anime here either. 'None' is more appropriate. There has been this anime burst on the public networks (not Nick) around the times of Pokémon, with Beyblade and Digimon and all that.. but that's about it.
    First time they actually aired DBZ on Belgian TV as well around that time (it's a show from late 80's-early 90's for christ's sake!). DBZ had about 5 Frieza and 3 Cell reruns (didn't care so much about Cell, at least it was more amusing than Frieza), but I just wish the network would've gotten their hands on the Buu saga.

Can't really discuss the anime scene in USA so I'd have to give my own local news eh ^^;;

19. Jackabee

Jackabee Captain Jackabee Sparrow

What get's me about reruns is my ability to see certain episodes multiple times and completely miss other episodes... I'm just talented like that. I don't mind reruns as much because I am a rather sporadic TV watcher. Things come up and I'm not able to watch the latest episode of oh say FMA. Me being the loser I am, can not figure out how to program the VCR. Thanks to the overly repititious Cartoon Network, I am assured that I will, at some time or another, get the chance to watch that missed episode.

DBZ was a bit much though.... of course Sailor Moon was repeated plenty of times too if memory serves me correct, well at least the earlier episodes were.