Square Enix Disappointments

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by User18, May 27, 2008.

1. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I think I'm drifting into the Mistwalker camp. I feel more and more disconnected with Squenix with each new release.

I think my problem is twofold.

First - Squenix seems to be in continuous evolution, trying to reinvent the wheel all the time. This is good in the long run I suppose, to prevent stale game play, but I am very in tune with the classic simple turn based systems of yesteryear. Conversely, I am turned off by active/action systems - I find that strategy integrates far better with turn-based systems.

Second - Squenix seems to be fond of cashing in on the big titles they have - selling out as it were. Sequels, offshoots, merchandise. They're a big cash cow that hasn't really wowed me for a number of years. The last game they put out that had a strong hold on me was FFIX.

2. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

I've been a bit disenfranchised myself. None ever was such a game more frustrating than FFXII. None. Even Ninja Gaiden on Master Ninja, with my feet tied to my hands has there been more frustration in a game.

Still, I always give Squenix a chance, if only to hope they bring back some of the charm they seem to have been steadily been losing since the "pop music" of FFVII.

I love turn-based, but I can deal with action-oriented RPGs. Just so long as they take the best of both worlds a la Kingdom Hearts, instead of the worst -- a la FFXII.