divx: botp - 36 - victims of the hawk.avi

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by sosaix, May 9, 2001.

1. sosaix

sosaix Guest

ive been censored from the neptune center and botp mailing lists

new episode at

http://www.nether.net/~sosaix

i think it will be a long while before rhino gets as far as this episode

enjoy

2. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

Let me guess. You were sensored because you're jeopardizing the potential Rhino sales of Battle of the Planets?

Mark

------------------
    CHECK THIS OUT!!!

3. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

New sig below...

4. Mark

Mark G-Force Commander

5. stace

stace Guest

And they'll never get that far if you give them away for free, dork.

Like I said when I emailed you telling you to stop posting on my list, you are going to f*ck it up.

But then, I guess that's what fans do when they really want to show their support for something and see it thrive.

Oh, I didn't censor you. I asked you to stop posting links to episodes, considering it's illegal now that a company is releasing licensed copies. If you want to talk about anything else Gatch/BotP related on the list, fine. Just stop the piracy.

6. sosaix

sosaix Guest

i got your email message stace and you made your position perfectly clear the first time

no need to resort to name calling

we know that mollin has gone belly up and i am not in dvd region 1 so your rhino dvds are useless to me unless i get a cracked dvd player

sx

7. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Dear Mr. "sosaix",

Please do not post links to pirate copies of BotP episodes here, I have noted your IP address and I can see that it is in the eircom.net domain, an ISP here in Ireland.

John.
    --

8. sosaix

sosaix Guest

fine i will post no more episodes for now

btw stace, i was censored from the botp list, not the other one as you rightly pointed out

9. sosaix

sosaix Guest

how do you people feel about divx versions of g-force or eagle riders (not botp)

10. gk_groovy

gk_groovy Guest

I'm Curious...Everyone keeps saying BOTP ep's are being released on DVD...Are they being released on VHS too? More importantly, being released in North America??

11. Elvin Ruler

Elvin Ruler Guest

G-Force would be fine with me (but ask the people who run the list first). Personally, I want to thank you for posting the two BOTP episodes, I don't have a DVD player, or any money to buy the VHS versions. Thanks for giving me a taste of them. Like I said before, if the administrator will allow it, I'd like to see some G-Force episodes, as those were the ones that I grew up on.

12. Mattimus

Mattimus New Member

To "groovy",

To answer your question, BOTP will be released in the USA on DVD and yes, VHS on July 10, 2001, courtesy of Rhino Home Video. According to the "Home of the White Shadow" website (http://www.chronicsite.com/gatchaman; click the news item about Gatchaman being a bonus on Rhino DVDs for more info), 2 volumes will be released, each containing two episodes. The videotapes will retail for about $10 each.

13. Dei

Dei New Member

You know what, SosaiX, I really do have a copy of your post to the BotP Mailing List that I could go ahead and post, depending on how badly you want to be flamed and how much you want a Cease and Desist Order from Sandy Frank's lawyers (yes, there is at least one company representative on list). And believe you me, at least one fan in the past has gotten served with just such orders.
    Your choice.
    I mean, censorship is simply intolerable, is it not?

Ah yes, I know about the cost. Trust me, I'm not rich at all. But I remember two years of carefully scraping up nth-generation copies of episodes when companies just didn't think that we fans cared enough to be worth catering to. Financing this hobby (or sickness) isn't spare change for me, but I don't know, I want it to be around for as long as possible and I'm putting my money where my mouth is -- in the pockets of the hard-working and deserving.

14. djw2332

djw2332 Guest

Hey sosaix, please get in touch with me concerning those BOTP episodes you had posted. I understand that on this site you can't make them available, but I would like to ask you a favor. Hopefully, I can return to favor to you as well, thanks - Dan

15. EagleKen

EagleKen Guest

Nice to see people taking a stance against piracy.

I'd be a little more sympathetic if there were means available to get hold of BotP, but that's not the case is it?

It has had a partial release in the UK and Europe. Yeah, Mollin went bust but who knows, as it seemed quite a popular release maybe someone else will pick up the contract. BotP has an upcoming US release on both DVD and video with excellent extras. The show has had several reruns in the UK.

There is still interest in the market. We have had the soundtrack released, an upcoming computer game, reruns, videos, DVD's and as far as I'm aware, Mollin didn't go bust because of the BotP release.

Therefore while there is still commercial interest in the project we should be doing our best to support this and not downloading them on the sly.

Steve J

www.worldzone.net/sci/eagleken

16. Cavelle

Cavelle Guest

As a Canadian I know what it's like trying to get anything Gatchaman related. I knew of Gatchaman before BotP and all the other versions, but piracy and licensing is really a no win situation for fans and for companies.

Companies own rights to the series and different versions. They're looking for top dollar networks to pay them to air animation that, unfortunately, is viewed as out of date. (The dubbing, I am told, was out of date even when it was "in" date). Two things will keep them from releasing the series: lack of a deal with a good price tag attached or the lack of interest in the show.

So that leaves the fans on their own to try and obtain copies of the series the best ways they know how. Some people tape the episodes directly from the television and then trade them off for other series (illegal). Some sell them (illegal). Some invest in the Japanese versions, sub or dub them with some friends and sell or trade them (illegal). Some just sell copies of originals, or copies of copies (illegal). All we're trying to do is get epsidodes of a series we enjoy watching, but, because of all the copyrights and licensing, the distribution of the series by fans is illegal. Because it'd be a shame if a fan got money/goods from another fan in pursuit of a common interest in a common show.

So now we have Rhino releasing BotP dvds. Japan is also releasing the original Gatchaman in form of dvds as well. First off we need to purchase a dvd player. In Canada, that's about $300 and up. The dvds themselves, a good $30-40 each. And if they're not released in your area, or, in your country? (As is a frequent occurence here). Add on shipping for each dvd, that's about $5 just across the border (the prices to ship internationally would be 2-3 times that). There are taxes to pay on international goods. Duty fees. Brokerage fees by the poor blokes who sit in their air-conditioned offices and charge $6 to stamp an invoice saying that the item has passed through their customs department. That can add up to, for us Canadians, $50 per dvd!

That's why I'm going the cheaper route. I'm currently trying to locate the Laser Discs of all the series that were produced in Japan 5-6 years ago. Not only do they come with great omake and are NTSC (playable in Japan and North America), but the quality is just as excellent as a dvd player. And laser disc players are selling for as little as $50--and they play cds and vcds as well!
    Why, that's about the price of just one dvd!

Plus the LD's aren't cut up like BotP was, so there is great continuity in the episodes. As for understanding what is being said, some scripts already exist on the Internet, and if I can track down the LDs, the scripts will be available for all episodes, all series, on a Gatchaman website I'm developing. Hehe, so my rant was a bit self serving at the end, but at least I got it off my chest!

17. djw2332

djw2332 Guest

First of all Cavelle, it is not illegial for me or anyone else to tape BOTP off of a TV and then to trade it with someone else for something else, (not cash) - If I trade you a Van Halen CD for a Motley Crue CD, is it illegial? I think not. If I sold it to you for $, then this is where it becomes illegial, because, 1. I don't have licence to do this, and 2. Sandy Frank would not be receiving any royalties. Get your facts straight

18. tachyon00

tachyon00 Guest

What the hell is 'illegial'?

19. Exodus666

Exodus666 New Member

Hey SOASIX ... why not post to USENET / NEWSGROUPS ???

That would be better then trying to put an entire episode on a website somewhere. I have gotten many cartoons online, from Batman, Superman, Looney Toons, Star Trek The Animated Series, Spider-Man (1960's version), etc ...

If you are going through all of the effort of transforming (no pun intended) video into computer multimedia, create a USENET thread. God knows I'm still trying to look for one.

To all of those on the PIRACY rant ... I fully intend to buy the DVD's in the U.S. when they are released. There is just no substitute for awesome video quality that you get with a DVD. I try before I buy, as I like to say. I have downloaded MP3's of an entire album to see if I like. I have done this with many groups. I even saw the new Planet of the Apes movie online, and I know for sure I will buy it when it comes out. I just don't see it as wrong ... I guess. Of course I do not profit from it, and I am still putting my hard earned money back into the industry. So really, they aren't losing IMO.

[This message has been edited by Exodus666 (edited 08-20-2001).]

20. djw2332

djw2332 Guest

You are pretty funny tachyon00 - you should do stand up comedy in Afganistan.