English Kenshin Manga

Discussion in 'Rurouni Kenshin' started by Hitokiri_Gensai, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hitokiri_Gensai

Hitokiri_Gensai Gunslinger Girl

ok i was at a borders today and found a copy of Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan...or Rurouni Kenshin: the tales of a meiji swordsmen. i read through it was quite suprised at the translation used. its very good...quite close to the original script as possible making it quite well worth the 10-15 dollars you might pay for it...as for graphical content there was very little editing done...overall i was quite pleased at the quality presented in this translation. i still will always favor the japanese manga over it but thats just my oppinion...

2. Zanza

Zanza .Net-ing & PHP-ing~*
    Staff Member

I never saw it or read it or any of this :p

But I read the translation from a fan maybe. was good, but when I got my hands on the anime, stopped reading it ^^;

I am not the type who reads plane writings, there should be pictures in it damn it!! :D

3. Hitokiri_Gensai

it was in shonen jump when it came to america and they released the first tankoban lately...

4. UFOtaku

UFOtaku Wachu loorkin at?!

Actually, I don't think they translated very well. No stupid words, but I also read a fansub before it was lisenced, and the fansub chapter 1 puts these "pros" to shame.

Decent job, clean, and good words, but I still remain generally unimpressed.

Graphically, I applaude them. ^_^

5. Hitokiri_Gensai

well i thought it wa ok for a translation....

6. Fuuma

Fuuma New Member

got volume 1 a week ago, I like It...

lol...darn, I lent it to a friend...now I wanna read it again.

7. Hitokiri_Gensai

i found it quite decent for an american translation...and graphically it was awesome...

8. lil angel

lil angel New Member

*twiddles thumbs impatiently* i have to wait until christmas to see it. *sobs* why am i so broke?

9. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

I have both 1 & 2 of the manga's. and i really like the graphics of it. the translation is ok. but it's still as funny as the show! But i want to go to the mall and get the 3rd book damn it! *tears in eyes* that's all i want! nothing more and nothing less! :( :(

10. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

they usually always get the translations wrong. like when my friend made me read the american inuyasha manga book, i compared it was practicly completly different. i got pissed off at them.

11. UFOtaku

*Still liked the Fansub better*

12. Hitokiri_Gensai

i liked the fansubs better. i think that they're even better than the official translations. fans seem to keep as close to the original scripts as possible..

13. Chibi Sango

Chibi Sango New Member

I've noticed that on the chapter where Megumi comes in, in the second book, one of the guys who was chasing her had a talking bubble, (more like a yelling one) but he didn't say anything. and the dialog usually ends halfway in the bubble. I know that Japanese use characters for writing but you could at least make the font a little bit bigger. I'm not yelling at them i'm just pointing some thing out to those translation peeps who f**k up on their jobs!

14. Hitokiri_Gensai

well the font they use has to fit all the bubbles. so if its smaller than some bubbles so be it as long as it fills what they need it to.

15. toeskater91

toeskater91 New Member

i thought it was okay.
    i want to get my little hands on the rest of the volumes though.

have to wait till friend gets them, i buy them, or they appear at my public libray.
    it is kinda scary that they have manga at the libray. a good bit to.

16. ShinigamiSenshi

ShinigamiSenshi New Member

if your dedicated enough to try and obtain all of the Kenshin volumes i think u'll be quite pleased. for the first half there is very little difference between the anime and manga except for a few points here and there but the difference becomes most apparent after the Shishio saga. the anime and manga take completely different directions.

SPOILERS: the anime changes quite a bit from the original story and just slows down too much for my liking. the manga goes directly in to the Jinchuu arc and the battle with Enishi (does the name sound familiar?)

17. Hitokiri_Gensai

well, to be exact they completly ignore the manga story line from just after the Kyoto Arc. supposedly Watsuki-Sensei wasnt producing the Manga as fast as they were producing the anime, so they made there own episodes after the Kyoto arc. anyway, the manga is quite well, worth getting and i adivse that if your a Kenshin fan you should obtain the japanese manga.

18. UFOtaku

Stupid pros just can't do it.

You've gotta love the story to translate it right. I hate to see another story go. This is the reason I learned Japanese.

19. Hitokiri_Gensai

same here. although maybe not a reason that all people would take seriously....