equipment

Discussion in 'Tomita' started by mfredrick, Feb 18, 2007.

1. mfredrick

mfredrick New Member

I am trying to find out what equipment tomita has been using, latest prefered.
    thanks

2. ndkent

ndkent Moderator

PC Laptop at least on location with Nuendo and I think one of Steinberg's Nuendo family interfaces. I would guess he's Nuendo based when not on location too.

One could guess he's using VST plugs with that though I've not confirmed any particular ones.

Real orchestra ;-)

He often uses some kind of sampler. He was still using his Synclavier in the 1990s. I don't know if he still does. He had an Akai sampler in his studio in the mid 90s and had a Roland JP-8000 in photos. He was sampling his Moog in order to play chords and used the now discontinued Opcode StudioVision Pro on a Mac back in the mid 90s to sequence his performance. I'm near certain he's using Nuendo's sequencing capabilities as well as recording and mixing since he was using them with his Opcode & Mac setup. It might be when he adopted using Nuendo it was more advanced or only available in Japan on the PC. Because he did apparently switch to using a PC from using a mac.

I can hear Yamaha VL-1 on First Emperor, though that's a score he was only Musical Supervisor on.

I believe he has friends and associates working for Roland and Yamaha. Nuendo's maker Steinberg has been bought by Yamaha in recent years.

Around 1999 Yamaha had a deluxe sampler that was not sold in the U.S. or Europe. Given his ties to Yamaha he might have been using that around then. There are of course sampler plugs now that work well inside Nuendo.