One Piece Fairytale References

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by That guy!, Oct 30, 2004.

1. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

Throughout watching One Piece I realized that part of what attracted to me to it were stories in it that I could identify with. Stories that I grew up with here in North America. Here are some of the ones I have figured out, and to warn you there are some spoilers from the manga:

Usopp/Pinocchio/Boy Who Cried Wolf - Usopp is a huge liar with a long nose, resembling Pinocchio's. When he was introduced you saw him running through town yelling "PIRATES PIRATES" and the villagers all chased after him. When pirates actually did show up and he ran through town warning people no one believed him.

Chopper/Rudolf/ - Chopper wasn't any ordinary reindeer, he had a blue nose. Because of this all the other reindeer treated him like an outcast. Chopper's story goes a bit farther than Rudolf's when he gets a hold of the hito hito fruit, the other reindeer really hate him now because he can talk and take the form of a humanoid. Everything turned out alright after an old man took Chopper in and taught him how to be a doctor.

Sky Piea(Jaya)/El Dorado -
    I think the main similarity here is the whole city of gold thing but in the case of Jaya it got sent up to the sky as part of Sky Piea.

Any others?

2. chibi_nasu

chibi_nasu New Member

There are a lot of partial comparisons you could draw, but I think that one of my favorite things about the One Piece world is the new fairytales. Like, I really hope that Oda-sensei does something with All Blue. Not just because I'd love to see Sanji-kun realize his dream, but because I'm honestly intrigued by the idea of a mythical ocean.

3. vonniesmile

vonniesmile New Member

I realised the one with usopp ages ago but I didn't think about chopper as rudolph.... oh one other thing about usopp 'the boy who cried wolf' is an aesop tale isn't it? and the names sound quite alike... ya know aesop usopp aesop usopp. =^-^=

4. Peachy

Peachy ☆liberal HMod☮

Wow. You people really do pay attention to things. Amazing. ^_^

5. chibi_nasu

chibi_nasu New Member

Yeah... and in the Skypiea arc, there's this huge beanstalk called 'Giant Jack'

6. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

I'm not sure if this counts as a fairytale refrence or not, but in the Skypiea arc God Enel's name sounds curiously similar to the German word 'Engel'- which means Angel.

Hmmmm...

~W

7. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

Maybe. But does he have wings?

One thing I thought of was the Devil's Fruit it is considered forbidden in a way or shocking that they ate it. Remember the apple with Eve. The difference is water and being thrown out.

Edit: Uso means lie in Japanese and "Aesop" is the Author of "The Boy who cried wolf." xD