Creative Writing Fanfiction.net's Anti-MST edict...

Discussion in 'Written Arts' started by InuYasha, Apr 24, 2002.

1. InuYasha

InuYasha New Member

For those of you who are unaware,recently fanfiction.net announced that "due to persistent abuse" Lists and MSTs would no longer be allowed on their site. I had a SMJ MST series on there that I had to delete before April 21. Fortunately,the Baka of the boards was kind enough to host them until I get off my lazy @$$ and make my own SMJ shrine/ep. guide-thingy...

InuYasha - so...anyone got mad skillz with Photoshop wanna help me with site images?

2. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

I can fully understand fanfiction.net's stance on the situation, even if it doesn't apply to everyone...

It's the very nature of the MST (or Mystery-Science Theatre) Fic.

It repeats an entire story line-for-line, all the while cutting it up with insults and jokes.

Of course, most of these are not intended to truly make fun of the author or his works, but it can end up seeming sincere or out-of-hand at times...

The other fact is that due to the repeat, the same story is getting shown more than once, which fills up extra space. And what's to stop many authors from MSTing the same fic?

Fanfiction.net's old stance on the situation was that it was allowed as long as the original author gave consent. This is well warranted. After all, out of consideration for others, you should truly contact them for permission before using their works in such a way to begin with. Unfortunately, ff.net can only trust that you have truly done so, and what's to stop you if you haven't?

So in the end, after "abuse", which I could easily see happening in such circumstances, they decided to ban them entirely. It's a shame for all the writers who have followed the rules, but that's that. Nothing really can change things now.

I'm honored to have CastleJ serve as a host until your more permanent home is completed.

Now I just have to find time to finish that next update... :p

3. Lady Aoi

Lady Aoi Princess of Shirataki

P.S.: They also outlawed lists for the same reason. Hence, my fics such as "Things the SMJ Cast would never say" are offline for the time being. Expect them to reappear on Singular Rose when I have time to update.

~ Aoi

4. Stardust Phox

Stardust Phox Such a Taurean I am!

I had no problems with the MST thing, since I never really understood what they were until they actually TOLD me what they were. {Ignorance is bliss, ne? ^.~}

Now, the Lists banning thing was a bit annoying. Those "Things so-and-so wouldn't say" things were great. -_-; Oh well. Can't have it all, can we?