Square Enix Final Fantasy: Advent Children

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dr. Nick Rivera, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Yeah, I was kind of confused that somehow the glasses bore the brunt of the damage.

2. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Soldiers in video games have long since used Nerf balls as ammo for their guns. They only switch to bullets for a cutscene. Didn't you know that? :D

...Actually a Nerf ball fired from a shotgun would hurt quite a bit, I think. oO

I think this is one of those times when you go with "suspension of disbelief" to understand it. :p

3. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Suspension of disbelief doesn't cover it. There are times when it's just too much.

SPOILERS!

The gun is literally INCHES from Clouds head when the trigger is pulled; all that happens is Clouds glasses fly off. WHAT WAS THAT?!

4. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

His glasses had a high armor class... gosh!

5. wertitis

wertitis Proud Mary keep on burnin'

[​IMG]

Wait, wait... Yeah you're right. Zero anime influences in this game. Good call on that one.

The original game is based heavily around an Anime style art influence and the original characters, thier traits and characteristics are enstablished as such, so it makes sense that AC carries over these qualities that we are familiar with. If Cloud couldn't defy physics and hoist his Buster Sword with one hand, would he really be Cloud then, or at least the one we've grown to love?

ROFLMAO!!

Hehe, would you rather he have had his head blown off? The whole point of the movie is to entertain so sometimes you need to suspend disbelief and just have fun with it. If we're going into physics here are we going to start screaming at Star Trek because they're going faster than the speed of light and NOT going back in time?

The only problem I had in the movie was the part where Cloud was being thrown higher and higher into the air by people who sailing upwards with him.

But I just shrugged it off and went with it because I was having a lot of fun watching Cloud and Co kicking ass.

Advent Children is a really cool opportunity to watch these Classic FF:VII Characters in a whole new way. The fact that they do some things that defy physics doesn't bother me because thier roots are in Japanimation, and I almost expect super-human qualities and characteristics. The animation is smooth and genuine and flows really well. Like watching Superman, FF: AC is a lot of fun to watch because it portrays superheroes doing amazing things that defy what we should be seeing, not necessarily what we do see.

Half the fun is watching them do all sorts of unbelievable things, ya?

^^

~W

6. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

ok.. the bullet it hit him but just barely hit him and during that time it hit his glassses too

Hey whats I haven heard of Bc-Dc can someone tell me the full title

7. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Yep, thanks for stating it.

No, just because you see a similarity between the two does NOT prove that it was influenced by anime.

There's a difference in defying the laws of physics and a person being abnormally strong probably as a result from the Jenova cells or being enfused with Mako.

No, but he should of at least gotten a bullet hole in his head instead of a scratch.

Believe it or not, it is possible to go faster than the speed of light. The only thing keeping people from thinking this is some stupid theory that Einstein made up. His theory is only that, a theory. There is no proof that we can't go faster than the speed of life. Also, another, or maybe the same, theory states that the faster we go the slower time goes. WTF is up with that? If that's true, then if the Earth wasn't revolving around the sun and not being sucked into it then we would all live for a shorter amount of time, after all we're on the earth and it is moving therefore we're always moving. I won't believe in those theories until someone shows me undisputable proof.

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Given how he spent the whole movie crying about how he wasn't good enough, JUST LIKE IN THE GAME WHERE HE ALREADY GOT OVER IT, and kept describing himself with the AMAZINGLY unique description of a lone wolf, yeah, I think it'd be -awesome- if he died early on and we got to see everyone else cope.

No. 1) FTL would propel you forward in time, via relativity, not backwards. 2) It's not as blatent an offense as a bullet to the face. 3) Many FTL drives in sci fi act in another layer of reality, making relativity a more or less moot point. 4) As Trek warp drive does distort space one way or another, we can assume that one way or another they're protected from relativity. (this is correlated by the fact that an hour in warp on the ship seems to equal an hour in real time elsewhere)

9. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Please stop. Your science understanding seems... lacking.

Edit: You know gravity is also a theory, right? Law just means it's universally accepted.

BTW, page on FTL. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTL

Now lets get back on topic.

10. wertitis

GAAAGH

Fergettabout Star Trek, I'm sorry I used that analogy. Physics major I am not. Sheesh.

Well, Neph, all I can say is that not everyone enjoys everything that others do. Heh, Sounds like FF:VII really wasn't your cup of tea. Either that you really like spinning me up. :p Frankly if cloud isn't a moody, whiny bastard then he really isn't Cloud.

To each thier own, ya?

Now in complete contridiction to my last statement I must argue further with Enternal_Blaze! XD

Omg, I can't beleive I'm arguing a point like this with somone in this message board...

NARF!! CLICK ME!!

Those are only a few points. It's made in Japan, anime style characters and animation, Concept art and released game art is anime based, Sephiroth carries a freakin' Katana for god sakes, it's roots lie in Japanamation style artwork. How in god's name can you tell me otherwise?! Am I the only one on the planet who see's this?!

The whole point of my statement was that because of it's Anime influenced style we expect a certain degree physics bending and aerial combat, among other anime style combat scenes.

Geeze, are we going to start to complain about thier use of Magic now as well? Or the use of Limit Breaks in both the game and the movie?

x_x;;

Meh, you know what they say- Arguing online is like running in the special olympics...

~W

[Edit]:

Wait, how come we can assume this but not "assume" that FF:VII is based upon an anime style of animation? Gaaagh!!! [Wert proceeds to do the angry dance and to rip out his hair]

11. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

I enjoyed FF7. I didnt enjoy FF7AC.

Style of animation does not inherently equate with bizarre physics bending badness. There are animations done in Japanese styles that have fairly decent physics.

Additionally, we can assume the things work in Trek because we see it happening, and in analysis we pretend it's like a document. And when we apply that to a scene like the infamous "glasses blowoff", know what that means? That the gun was ridiculously weak to the point of not even being worth it.

EDIT! Pics now!
    Point of view from Clouds eyes at the moment of the shot.
    [​IMG]

Cloud just before the trigger is pulled.
    [​IMG]

Cloud about .3 seconds later. Note the tiny, not bleeding wound.
    [​IMG]

Second Edit: It's because of things like a direct headshot not killing, but a single sword stab doing just that, that I get annoyed at stuff like this.

12. wertitis

We can go on and on about this all day. We can assume what'shisnuts is an expert gun man in the same sense that Sephiroth was an exptert swordsman. We can also assume
    that shis goal is not to kill Cloud. They want Mama at this point and they assume he has her somewhere. Killing nii-san won't help them find her.
    . Given the angle of the shot, the marksman what'shisnuts is supposed to be, the given target (namely the goggles), and the goal of the whole thing (not to kill Cloud but to startle him; they're still playing with him at this point), we can ASSUME that what'shisnuts has enough skill to richochet a bullet off the goggles without doing too much damage to Sir Cloud.

The actual strength of the bullet might also have to be mentioned. Cloud is shot at the very end and he still has more than enough strength to turn around and do a flying lunge/chop at the pair before they ignite. Obviously the bullet isn't doing that much damage to him if Cloud can retaliate as such.

Assuming, assuming, assuming.

Based upon assumptions alone you can assume that I'm a mighty big retard for still arguing about this. Hurray for debates, even if we're all idiots in the end.

:dizzy:

13. Eternal-Blaze

Eternal-Blaze New Member

Actually, the bullet is very strong. At the end where Cloud gets shot I slowed it down and paused it and I can clearly see that the bullet goes straight through him. Refer to here to see the picture. Note the glowing light in front of Cloud when it came from behind. Note that his clothes flew open where the bullet came out. That much power cannot be delfecting that easilu by goggles. It would have to be very hard and round like one of those scuba tank thingies.

That attack is what we call summoning the last of your strength for one final attack.

There is a big difference between being based off of Japan and being based off of anime. Katanas would be based off Japan as they were invented in the real world not in anime. Before I continue, I would like to know in what year the anime style you're busy explaining was first used.

No, I'd say you're the only one on the planet who thinks this.

It doesn't really even matter, you're talking about the style of the game and the physics of the movie. Two different things.

Not me. Shinra uses Mako for power, materia is made from condensed Mako, therefore materia holds energy which is consumed and produces various affects when someone taps into their MP, which would probably best be desrcibed as their ability to focus on the spell, and activates the materia thus creating magic. The limit breaks vary too much for anyone to assume anything on it so I leave those alone.

*Hits head on table*

14. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Limit breaks are also more fun for a game; in a "real" interpretation they wouldn't be there, just like Cloud wouldn't take three steps down a hallway and suddenly have to fight someone, take another three steps, fight, take another three steps, fight...

15. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

May I remind all members that this is not a Debates forum. I can understand the disapprovals of views by certain members but may I request that we keep things on topic and leave the arguing outside of this thread.

Thank you

Part of the FFVII compilation Square Enix produced.

FF: Before Crisis (BC) is set a few yers before the game where the focus is on the Turks. Was released on the Motorola P900i phone which is currently avaliable only in Japan. N.B:The P900i was the very phone used in Advent children.

FF: Dirge of Cerberus (DC) is set 3 years after the game ended (or 1 year after Advent Children) and bases around Vincent.. It's said that it'll be a 3rd person shooter. Due to be released on the PS2.

- Shen

16. Fudge_Monkeys

Fudge_Monkeys www.boards.jp

WHo is Denzel.

17. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Just an orphan in the movie. He din't really play that much of a part anyway.

- Shen

18. Seishin

Seishin Guest

I watched BC a while back, and I gotta tell ya, it's great. Although they make Cloud look like sort of a wimp first, he's still cool. The whole thing is much more better explained in this movie.

-Seishin

19. wertitis

AC seems to make cloud out to be a giant pansy due to a resurgence of guilt about Aerith and the
    Geostigma. I guess he seems guilt ridden at the disease that's washing through midgar.
    Even I have to admit- Cloud really was a big, blubbering baby at the start.

20. Tar.Aldarion

Tar.Aldarion New Member

Personally thought FFVII:AC was excellent.Obviously it couldn't live up to the game and I didn't expect it to.So i just took it to be a film vaguely about the game I love and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the characters onscreen>The sound track is excellent and the fight scenes were quite well done even if they weren't accurate to the game.