Square Enix Final Fantasy The Spirits Within

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by That guy!, Jul 15, 2001.

1. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

I might as well make a new thread(other one's getting too big)
    If you haven't seen the movie yet don't read any further...

I saw the movie yesterday and it was cool, the movie reminded me of Final Fantasy 7. The CG in the movie was so good that sometimes I forgot that the movie didn't have real actors.

That Hein guy in the movie reminded me of President Rufus from FF7 and Seifer from FF8.
    The plot of the movie was pretty good too...but it seemed like it started too fast.
    It was kind of like what a movie of Final Fantasy 7 would be like if it started when Sephiroth summoned the Comet. The movie started with Aki Ross looking for the 6th of 8 spirits, instead of the second(the 1st was herself). I guess the movie would take 40 hours if they went into that much depth [​IMG].
    But I'm wondering if Squaresoft has a game planned that contains the full story behind the Spirits Within, that would be strange since we all know the ending...

The only thing wrong was that Nobuo Uematsu didn't do the music for the movie...I mean Nobuo Uematsu's music is practically an element to the games.
    The music was okay though, It was composed by Elliot Goldenthal, the same person who did Men In Black music.

Overall I thought the movie was awesome!!

Anyone else see it yet? what'd you think?

2. Ciel

Ciel Unoa Freak
    Staff Member

Pure Eye Candy...

that Hein guy was an a$$hole...too many people died because of him...'ooh I made a mistake!' so he ends up blowing himself up...should have shot himself the *******...

sorry...I'm a little wound up, I just got back from seeing it...

I found too, that I was more okay with the people dying, because I knew they weren't real people playing the parts..it sounds stupid, but I knew the characters, they were developed well enough, just it was easier to see them die.

I agree with That guy! on that the movie started very quickly..I was like, whoa! but hey, the movie is 1 hour and 52 minutes, its not like I'm asking for 3 hours of eye candy, but it would have been better then seeing a ship sink...you know what I'm saying?

3. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

The movie seemed pretty cool to me, but it would have been better if it didn't bear the Final Fantasy name. The only element of the games I could find was the name Sid. No Eidolons, no Chocobos, no Moogles, etc. What's the deal with that? Also, a spin-off game seems to me to be more like a shooter of sorts than an RPG. More action than anything else, really.

All in all, a good movie; it was definitely worth my $9.00 to see. Let's all just hope that there's nothing final about this fantasy ...

------------------
    DM the GM

4. Suzu

Suzu 7th Seat Shinigami

Yeah, I really tought that elements such as chocobo's and GF's are essencial for something to be called final fantasy... but I guess it's CID that makes a final fantasy... I heard that the first Final fantasy game didn't have any chocobo's... It had a person called cid though...

What do the makers of Final Fanstasy want to tell us about Cid?

Any way, It's really a great series and I hope one day they get animated ^_^ especially final fantasy 6 7 and 8...
    FF 10 is looking great!!!

5. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

It'd be really nice to see movies based on some of the games, such as maybe 6 or 9 ...

Where was Cid in the first game? I've beat it over ten times, and I've never seen a Cid ...

Then again, that was over six years ago ...

------------------
    Zanshi, Paranoid Android

6. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

The Sprits Within was an excellent movie IMHO! GF's aren't really necessary for FF...if you look at the series, they have been present since FF2(j that is), but they could easily be dropped. Only FF8 has a story revolving around them (and don't get me started on the poor game mechanic designs here...). Cid (surprisingly?) doens't become part of the FF legend until FF2(j again - hehe, that's funny if you catch the SMJ reference...) as well as chocobos (who've kept the same music since 2, just with variations to it...). I always name my Fighter Cid in FF1 to make up for it...

I don't think the FF producers wanted to really convey anything specific about Cid...he's just kind of something left to connect all the series together (like Chocobos, Summons, and Airships)...In FF2j, FF4, FF7, and FF9, cid was the owner of the world's best (or only) airship...in FF5 and FF6 (which I think is the worst Cid) he's a big scientist, in FF8, the Head Master of Balamb Garden, and in FF3 he's a Mage...The Spirits Within took the scientist version. [​IMG]

On another note, there was a short (4 episode) Original Video Anime Series of Final Fantasy released in the 80's...it's based on the descendant of Bartz (the main character in FF5). It's average quality, though, and doesn't live up to Squaresoft standards IMHO...

Oh, and Moogles first got into FF in FF3 (hills that is - oops, I mean j!)..and missed FF4, but since then, they've been there in one way or another...

BakaMattSu, Out of Hot Air (finally!)

7. Digital Tilmitt

Digital Tilmitt New Member

I finished the book today, it was really good. Never saw the movie though. I'll have to buy it when it comes out on DVD.

------------------
    The Clow.

8. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I must insist that the movie would have been better if it didn't bear the Final Fantasy title. With how little it had to do with the games, and the obvious redeeming qualities of the movie, the "name dropping" really wasn't that important.
    As for BakaMattSu's comment on FF8 being the only game to revolve around GF's, summons, eidolons, whatever, that's a load of crap. FF6 was all about the espers. Without them, Kefka wouldn't have had any of his powers, and neither would Terra, or any of the other characters for that matter. Also, there's the fact that in FF9 Kuja is after Garnet and Eiko for their ability to use summons, and without summoning abilities, Alexandria would have been nuked by Garland right from the start. THE WHOLE GAME REVOLVES AROUND THE SUMMONS, GODAMMIT!

That's enough outta me.

------------------
    SUPER NOVA GOES POP!

9. BakaMattSu

BakaMattSu ^__^
    Staff Member

Okay, I stand corrected (somewhat)...

Technically, the only FF game to call them "GFs" was 8...And that was the original quote I was going from...But, yeah, 6 is mainly, completely, and without denial completely summoner-based (and that Esper-magic-system is partly why I dislike the title...), and 9, well there they call 'em "Eidolons..."...

But alright, terminology aside, there are a few titles...but to my main point - are they necessary for Final Fantasy? - no.

BakaMattSu, if you want a game that revolves around summoning things there's *cough* "Summoner"...

10. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Dude!! How much of Summoner have you actually played? Are you still just going by a bit played at Tama's house?! That game rocks, once you get into it. Plus, the hidden SNL D&D parody after the credits, and the reference about Joseph's lost hand (I won't go into more detail because I don't want to give away the game plots that the joke is based on) are definite bonuses.
    WHAT'S THE DEAL?

------------------
    SUPER NOVA GOES POP!

11. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

*explodes*

DAMN!!! DAMN!!! DAMN!!!!!!!

Anyways... Summoner is really awesome, but I'm too lazy to read so much. But if I had time and a PS2 I'd play the game through to the end in like a week(that's how cool the game sounds).

Something I'm wondering is why exactly did Square decide to change the names from GF's...summons, espers, eidolons (not in any order!!). It's not confusing or anything, I just don't see the reasoning.

read the damn signature!!!

------------------
    LOVE AND-A PEACE!!! *V*, LOVE AND-A PEACE!!! *V*, LOVE AND-A PEACE!!! *V*

12. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Probably for originality. You know how the critics can be when games in a series are too much alike, and end up as more of an expansion than a sequal (see the Tomb Raider games for details [​IMG]).

------------------
    SUPER NOVA GOES POP!

13. Meaikoh

Meaikoh See you later, Moderator

Ooh, I didn't like the movie. It felt like Squaresoft just made a movie to prove a game compagnie could make a movie. I dunno, maybe I need to watch it again, but they put too much into just special effects. Hey, that's just me...

14. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

I feel the same way, at least a little bit, anyway. However, it's a great movie, and no science-fiction fan should be without it. I highly recommend the DVD.

------------------
    KICKSTART MY HEART!

15. GenericHero5

GenericHero5 All Ska Super Star

Actually ther were a few elements like Gigas cannon (gigas the summon)

16. GentatsuNoZanshi cc61

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the Zeus Cannon? I think it should have been the Bahamut Cannon, and unleashed its Giga Flare Power! [​IMG]

------------------
    DAMN IT! I'VE CHANGED AGAIN!