First episode of "Gatchaman" OAV available for free download!

Discussion in 'Gatchaman' started by Dirk Daring, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Dirk Daring

Dirk Daring New Member

Apparently Harmony Gold (of "Robotech" fame and owners of the domestic U.S rights to the OAV) is running some sort of experiment or in a belated holiday spirit..............or something and is offering the first episode of the "Gatchaman" OAV (dub-only) for download, free of charge. File is 217 MB, Quicktime-only. Check out the link at the bottom of the page:

http://www.harmonygold.com/catalog_gatchaman.htm

I myself haven't purchased the "Gatchaman Collection" DVD because:

- The dub and production of the DVD is flawed. And I don't mean just the Americanized names.

- The '94 OAV overall seems uninteresting and "all flash, no substance".

I'd probably pick it up though if ADV had a go at it. They have a pretty good relationship with HG based on "Robotech", so why not have all the Gatch series/features under one roof and voice cast?

In other news, some French internet stream amongst the ranks of Winamp's "SHOUTcast" TV service (free if you use Winamp of course) is streaming what seems to be a French version of Saban's "Eagle Riders" as I speak. They seemed to have started from episode 1, and I am currently watching episode 6. Dunno how long this stream will be around. This is my first time watching an episode of the infamous "Eagle Riders" and my first time watching anything related to "Gatchaman II" period. Being that the episodes are in French, I can only sit and watch the footage not knowing what the heck is going on storyline-wise. Some brief first impressions about ER and GII:

- The art style sure is more colorful and cartoonier than the original series. Dunno why, but it reminds me of the '80's "G.I Joe" series at times. Animation seems more consistent this time around. Nice new attires for the team, and Jun (or should I say Kelly Jenar?) has a nice new hairstyle.

- The vehicles and mechs, as mentioned many times before look like overblown, animated TOYS.

- The soundtrack (which is original, replacing all of the original GII music in the process) is surprisingly decent and reminds me of animated fare I grew up with back in the '90's.................which makes sense since Saban scored many animated shows during the '90's, the "Power Rangers" series being the most prominent ones. Again, cheesy '90's fare, but decent.

- I'm surprised they kept in fisticuffs and the like. Guess I really was scarred from BotP's editing of said fisticuffs, and expected "Eagle Riders" to suffer the same treatment. Man, TV standards must've loosened up A LOT ever since BotP. Guess I should stop being surprised that GoS had so much violence.

- ER has a distinct "European" aura about it. I really don't know why.

- And last.................. the ER theme song......................... IS TOO DAMN INFECTIOUS! I've previously heard it in English. From the "Eagle RIDERS! HUH!" chanting to the female choir to the '90's-esque instrumental, it is CATCHY beyond all relief. I can't help it! The theme on the stream I'm watching is in French as well, but still catchy. Oh, and the ER logo=Lame.

That's all for now. Later.

2. Meridian

Meridian New Member

Heh, I have a set of french ER episodes on DVD as they made an official release of them :D La patrouille des aigles, if I remember right. I don't have a lot of Gatch 2, but I do recall noticing that some episodes have significant violence cuts in them. For example, there's one where G3 gets captured and replaced by a vengeful cyborg, and in Gatch she whups a whole load of Galactor goons, but in ER the scene cuts after she gets into fighting stance.

I wish the french version had US Mallanox's voice. I really like Mallanox and Cybertron. They got all the best lines.