FLCL FLCL under fire.

Discussion in 'Manga and Anime' started by Nephilim_X, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

http://www.tribnet.com/opinion/story/3732462p-3759193c.html

People will complain about just about anything for any reason. Maybe if this women is so concerned about her kids she shouldn't let them stay up past midnight watching TV. Adult Swim is on so late for a reason.

No one has their brains blown out except for a robot. Also the 'nudity below the waist' was more off screen than on (if there was even any on screen).

The show itself is fairly wierd but it's wierd-ness makes it enjoyable...it is also one of the reasons they play it on ADULT-Swim.

A) That lady is a *****.
    B) She doesn't mind "exposing her kids' to violence and other bad real-world things" yet she wants to block all things PG-13 and above. Way to go genius.
    C) PG is for parental guidance, i.e., you should probably watch this show before letting your oh so adorable, impressionable kids watch it. Seems to me as if she's ignoring the lovely rating system that she endorses so strongly in her argument.
    D) To assume that a ratings system itself can describe every show correctly is simple naive. She wants to use the ratings system as some form of parent-replacement so that she doesn't have to screen the things her children watch herself. Lazyness.
    E) She probably wasn't worth my time in thinking about this.

2. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

OMG!! THIS LADY IS WAK!!!! FLCL has a rating of tv:14....meaning children ABOVE THE AGE OF 14 should watch this show....shesh....that is why it is on so late....and besides, if children are up that late, and there parentals dont care, call childs care center....shesh
    and besides they put the warning at the begining of every hour...parents need to pay attention to that kinda stuff...shesh...

Misao

3. Izzy

Izzy moo. moo. moo!
    Staff Member

Wasn't there a disclaimer on before the show started that it was for kids over 13? I mean, it'd stand to reason that it would be.

Also, there will always be opponents against showing this and that on the television, especially in a land of prudes such that is North America.

I mean, seriously, this is what the rating system is for right? Yes, it's not meant to be totally accurate in what the show has in it...but that should be at least SOME heads up to concerned parents.

Yes, Nephilim, it really isn't worth your time thinking about it.

4. Kaneda_345

Kaneda_345 The Star Stealing Boy

18, actually.

Like mentioned before, they have a disclamer that clearly states that questionable content is ahead.

This article is just from some idiot. :anger2: :anger2: :anger2:

Hmmm... I feel the need to tear that article apart....

A) If only she new FLCL's death count was zero. Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one died in this anime.

B) I can watch basic TV at like 5PM and see that too, and it's far more graphic than what was in FLCL.

I smell a contradiction. Unsupervised, yet you lock out things? Aren't they being supervised by technology?

Also this paragraph works to show her blaming others for her bad parenting. If you cared so much, you'd be checking on what your child was watching, not letting a machine do it. So go ahead, blame technology, it's ultimately her just trying to sound like a responsible parent when she obviously isn't.

*cough* Bull**** *cough* :rolleyes:

Basically saying; "I don't want to hide things, I just want to censor them" ... real clever. :rolleyes:

I think this certifies for a huge:

WTF???

She interpreted that scene as a sexual act? If I'm not mistaken, people eat popsicles all the time like that, and are they doing sexual act? HELL NO. So because she interprets it as such, it is, and should be punished. Sorry, that's wrong lady.

Good, I'm glad. I'd not accept phone comments either if I knew dumbasses like her would call.

And lastly, did she not realize the program is called ADULT SWIM?!?! :rolleyes: The warning before the show clearly states some questionable content may be in the shows, but she ignored that, because she wanted technology to do the work for her, because she obviously isn't responsible enough to take care of her own kids.

And so ends my rant. DAMN, I feel good. :sweat:

5. DrunkLeprachaun

DrunkLeprachaun Tetsu Oushi

PG-13

Warning: the image contained here contains adult content, and should not be viewed by small children who's parent's want to shield them from things that are "evil" such as cursing and sex, but don't care if they're exposed to violence, rape, fear, pain and other things that actualy could be considered evil.

Attached Files:

6. Sesshomisao

Sesshomisao Poison Girl

If you will notice at the end of that STUPID artical, there is an email addy.....I sent one complaning about the Bull Sh*t in that artical, I think you all should do the same....

Misao :anger2: :anger2: :anger2:

7. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

bit of a shame they saw ep 5.. prolly not the best place to start.

.. except the piles of guys in suits who Haruko takes out in the barbershop.

You seem to be selectively forgetting the scene with Haruko on Naota in his bed, with the towel that wasn't quite long enough. It was brief, but it was there.

She is right about that stuff being there. Of course the barbershop was parody, and not gory at all, and Haruko's rear isn't on display for very long, but the stuff is there.

Still, even with that stuff there, it is on Adult Swim, after midnight with a warning etc etc. Yes, she is overreacting, and yes I did have a good laugh about the lollipop.

I know the knee jerk reaction is to bash American prudishness; so she's nuts, and not ready for a show like FLCL, but at least realize that what she's complaining about IS there (cept the lollipop ahahaha). To claim it isn't is just to be in denial.

8. femme_fatale

femme_fatale New Member

Okay, let me just say that if I was a woman with a kid, and my kid was watching things at midnight or whatnot, what am I going to expect, Sesame Street?

I agree that the fact that it's called ADULT Swim should have tipped the lady off right away that it might not be suitable for all audiences. Come on, obviously it's on at midnight FOR A REASON. I know for certain that my parents wouldn't have let me watch anything past eight P.M. when I was a kid, so why are her kids watching the boob tube at midnight when she should know that the stuff that comes on at that time might not be suitable?

She sounds suspiciously like a "cartoons are for kids SO THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE OKAY FOR ALL AGES!!!11!!" mom. I still can't believe that people still think this. Cripes, Beavis and Butthead was a cartoon, but I wouldn't show it to my kids. Guess what? Some "cartoons" are actually made for teens and older, woman. I know it's shocking and difficult to believe in this day and age, but please try. :rolleyes:

9. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

umm...having watched adult swim for a damn long while, i have noticed that at least 2 times every commerical break, they pop a kind of disclaimer reminder. and have the main disclaimer before any show on the lineup starts.

10. Blue Crow

Blue Crow New Member

I goes without saying that that ***** needs to be slapped in the ****in mouth.Hey,I have an idea!How about getting a life instead of flipping over every cartoon channel looking for things to argue about!Not one part of that assface's article was based on fact.Hey,how about actually WATCHING your children and make sure they don't watch anything you don't want them to watch.This supports my theory that the planet I used to know as Earth is going straight to hell.:)

11. Tanuki

Tanuki the wizzard of oz

i think it's interesting that american ppl find it not suitable for ages 18 and under. doesn't it say in the 1st dvd that the series is aimed at young teenage boys?
    perfect blue had a hell of a lot more in it, and it's only rated MA over here (18+). my flcl has a rating of 'parental guidance" on the cover. i can't really see anything wrong with it.

why would ppl trust the ratings to stop young kids watching adult shows at midnight. Duh! any idiot knows thats all you'll get then. if you want to watch something that bad, pull out a video. or wait for it... tell your kiddies maybe they should go to bed.
    mother= stupid
    journalist= twice as stupid for publishing.

12. Osaka

Osaka New Member

:eek: HAHAHAHA! Not only is she telling us that FLCL is wrong, but she's telling us how to not eat a popsicle as well.

Ok. I'm going to pick on you a little while Otaru.

If they have a problem with the "Brains blowing out thing" why do they let their kids watch Justise league? they do the same thing. Same with DBZ. Yet you don't see parents going on a rant about that.

Maybe if the "Lady" had been less explict, her case would have made more sense. She said She had been referred by 20 year olds who had said her and her HUSBAND should check it out *notice that kids are not inculede in there* , And the show came on late at night, with pervious parent warnings, and There's all kid of junk on at night.

Man I have a mind to e-mail that "lady" and set her straight. Maybe she should have watched at least 2 episodes before judging.

Although I do agree with Otrau on the nudeity part. There is some of that. And maybe should have been sensored more. she's not false in her acccusations. I think its the way she said "We were shocked and horrified" really got me going.

practically its:

Parents vs. everyone else.

when it comes to anime.

13. Yasuko

Yasuko I beg your pudding?

Everbody in this forum is right. That article pissed me off, extremely. It seems like these mental, overprotective parents are always complaining about something. But FLCL? First off, (it's been said before) the show is purposely on late at night when small children should be sleeping. Also, is *is* called Adult Swim, as FF said. ADULT swim... doesn't that give you an idea that maybe, just MAYBE, the show is not for children? The lady is a ******* moron. Maybe she should try looking for something better to do than bash CN for showing a program for older kids/adults. Personally, I think the rating should be PG-13. The show does show Haruko's bottom in one of the episodes, but get this: I've seen the same thing in "Dexter's Lab," and "Looney Tunes." Now COME ON. That's the honest truth, and she isn't complaining about them. Other than that, there is no nudity. The nudity in FLCL is pretty much equal to Looney Tunes, in other words. (Although, Haruko is a teenager. Big deal. XD) But really, there are a ton of childrens' shows with violence and slight nudity.
    This woman has no right to be complaining. Did her kids watch the show? No. Are they going to? No. Are their parental advisitory warnings BEFORE the show comes on? Yes!!! All the shows in Adult Swim are for older teens, adults, and maybe even mature pre-teens. (I'd say the general rating for all the shows is around PG-13.) Adult Swim states this, so there should be no problem in understanding hat FLCL is NOT a kiddie show. There is violence and sex-related themes, yes, but I've seen a lot worse. Has this woman ever seen "South Park??!" Or OTHER late night programming?!?! God! She really needs to relieze that there is anime (or "cartoons" to her) that are for older audiences. This doesn't mean that her children are going to be forced to watch them. If I could get a hold of her, I would definately complain. What a pathetic aritcle. Honestly, what's this world coming too? Then again, over the years, I've seen various programs ripped off the networks because of phycotic parents who want to exclude their little babies from the rest of the world. Then maybe they can all think life is about the cookie monster. GARRG! I could on, but I better stop. Point proven- she's against all of us.

14. lilmizkong

lilmizkong New Member

same here. not extreme though. Anyways, why they watch it if FLCL is rated R? They are so stupid.

15. MamiyaOtaru

MamiyaOtaru President Bushman

How's that picking on me? The lady said there were brains blown out. Neph said no one died. I pointed out that it looks like the suits are taken out pretty well. That's just a fact. They get shot.

At no time did I say it made FLCL worse than any other show, or that it meant the lady isn't a crap parent. Was just correcting what I saw as an 'error' in Neph's post :D

16. Katon

Katon New Member

Oh my freakin god..

This world gives birth to at least 1000 stupid ****s a day. Here's proof.

17. Raven

Raven Fuhrer

Holy Sh*t this women is a freaking moron. Why do you think that is on at midnight. What does she think is going to be on Seasame Street. Also about the quote on how she doesn't shield her children from the occurences of everyday life like rape, murders etc she chooses to go on about stuff which is not bad at all for example: oral sex lol. I mean how else do you eat a lollipop. So for the second time HOLY SH*T WHAT A MORON.

18. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy New Member

Children under 14 shouldnt be up this late anyway but if they are so what flcl is a perfectly good infulence :D who wants to be normal.

19. Havikar

Havikar New Member

What i find funny about this is that she never complained at the show after flcl that had people dieing and blood , and violence, and was all serious, like blue gender, trigun, and cowboy bebop. Yet she choose to attack flcl, that was supose to be a humorus action comedy with no blood and or real guns on humans ( the used airsoft guns) tho they did use one on canti.

LOl oh no its attack of the drawn *** omg its the end of the world.

strange ive watched flcl countless times yet it hasnt turned me to do violent actions. (well besides beating someone with a guitar but thats a whole nother story :D)

anyways i think its funny she didnt even mention any of the other more violent shows that aired on adultswim

20. That guy!

That guy! Expecting Father

This woman is flawed, and if she tries to create a lawsuit over this it will surely lose. It would be just like the guy who got really obese from eating McDonald's food then tried to sue McDonald's for making him that way. In the McDonald's case he could have easily requested to see a nutritional fact sheet saying the amount of fat in the food. And in the FLCL case the freaking warning that kids under 18 should not be watching these shows is right before the show and in every commercial break!

She most likely didn't let her kids watch Furi Kuri but she shouldn't complain about Cartoon Network showing it.. instead she and other parents should give their kids a normal bedtime for their age