Current Affairs Flood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Basher, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Basher

Basher Mad Writing Skillz

For those who don’t know I live in North Dakota, so does BB. I am not sure if others do. But they could live in any state that is flooding or Canada.

I know a little about Bismarck not much. BB can probably tell how bad it is there. Heard some major flooding and prison closed.

My place is Grand Forks. And so far we have been lucky. Tons of mud puddles and soggy ground so far. The river is almost at 40 feet. 12 feet above flood level. It will get to 51 feet according to the National Weather Service.

I learned from the flood of 97 to really think of NWS as a guide. NWS predicted a crest of 49 feet in Grand Forks in 97. The slogan “49 feet my ass” was posted on doors because it got to 54.4 feet. And about 50,000 people evacuated including me. And the fire destroying 6 buildings was where my dad’s apartment was. At the time the "Come Hell and High Water" made a lot of sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Red_River_Flood_in_the_United_States

The crest is supposed to happen on Monday at 51 feet and not go down for a while. But it’s snowing here. Snice. Its rain that turns to snow (sort of like chunks of hail but soft) then once it’s on warm ground (like 30 above here) so it’s turning to ice. Not warm enough yet. It’s really weird. So, snice. But there is 6 inches of snow predicted and more on the way. Saying blizzard. No class? Cross fingers.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgf&gage=egfm5&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Wednesday 2 bridges will be closed. One bridge was backed up for miles. (Felt like it.) One of the bridges is in the first link. It will close at 10 am. The Sorlie.

Fargo (south of me) is getting hit hard from what I heard. Near the Sheyenne river. Well this river hits my river at Fargo. Plus has a smaller crest. My river flows North (Red River). So the water comes to us here. Fargo is supposed to get only to 40 feet or so.

Check out more Flood info here:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/tag/group/Local News/tag/2009 floods/

ND is a presidential disaster declaration right now.

So far okay but I feel it will get worse. Just because in 1997 the "sewers" over filled.

2. Basher

trade ya. 8.5 inches of snow in two days. Maybe 2 crests. But no class til Tuesday. 100 years by now and still can't stop the water. Thats just bad.

3. Basher

Oh that would. lol Mark.

48 almost today (Friday) Posted tuesday at almost 40. 3 days is 8 feet. Thinking it'll get pass that.

Protected up to 60 feet (heard 63 also)

But that doesnt count for 2 things. The dikes busting. Or sewer not closed off.

Why do I live here? Cause parents did and its a nice community. People will help you out.