Languages and Culture Foreign languages

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jedimdo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jedimdo

Jedimdo New Member

How much important is for you to learn a 2nd language. Almost all non-english speaker countries have as an obligation to learn a second language, English the majority.

1 person likes this.
  2. Baphijmm

Baphijmm Kunlun Knight

Culturally, it's not that important from what I've witnessed here, though a lot of people like to try to learn Spanish or French for fun. I personally find it important to learn other languages, because I hate making other people work so hard as to learn English just to communicate with me. My two biggies at the moment are German and Russian, as they will both aid my major as an astrophysicist.

3. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Hehe, bringing this over, eh? Well, you know what I said.

But yeah, it seems to be essential for people from non-english countries to learn English, but not so much for those from English-speaking countries. Jedimdo, you said you were learning English for 11 years. I said I didn't even have the option to learn Spanish until I got into High School, and I could only take it for 3 years.

Anyway, it is important, I think, but it needs to be more important. For us, anyway.

4. artemis836

artemis836 Vampire Slayer

I definatly think English speaking countries, especially America, should have more of a focus on learning other languages.

I wish I was bi-lingual, but now I'm like 20 and its harder to learn a language when your older.

Still I think I'm going to try to learn Spanish and maybe Italian or French.

German is waay to hard for me, I must admit I'm not the brightest student when it comes to language.

Meh.

5. me_dreaming_zzz

me_dreaming_zzz ¯\(º_o)/¯

Just about every school in Australia teaches Japanese, and lately Mandarin Chinese became a bit popular too. The school that i went to offered Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and French. Japanese class was very big but Chinese and French classes were small. So i would say that Japanese is the most popular language to learn in Australia.

6. ~ruby_zeal~

~ruby_zeal~ New Member

most, or all, of the schools her offer spainsh and french and occasionally german. by far, spanish is the most popular language. at my high school, russian and latin is added to the list, but there arent that many kids taking it.

7. KaYasha

KaYasha I'm Boelak Yrubron

We were tolld if you want to go to College then you must take a second language.
    In my school, you have to take Spanish in 7th grade, and then in High School you can take it again, we use to have French, which I was planning on taking, but the teacher quit so with buget cuts, no more French.

Though when I lived in Liberty, Missouri, we started taking German in second grade. I thought that was a little wierd, but I still remeber some of it. I only went till the middle of second grade, and one class each week.

I think that people should have to learn, a second language, it would make it a lot easyer if we had a Universal Language, that everyone had to learn.

8. Rokuemon

Rokuemon New Member

There is one, whether we like it or not, that language is English. Lucky for us who speak it nativly. Personaly i think languages are fascinating, i want 2 learn them all, but i dont have the brain capacity for that. CUrrently I am trying very hard to learn Japanese. My last course just finished, not sure what Im doing next, because i have to go to another school, but id like to do a degree in it eventually, in a few years.

I realy only did French at school, i was pretty good at it, and still remember quite a lot. France isnt too far either, but I'm not really motivated by it.

9. Vatina

Vatina New Member

At our schools you can mostly learn spanish, french and german. And english of course, that is obligatory :p There are even a few places that teach Russian.

Wish I could learn japanese, but it is rare here. Either you pay for a very expensive course in the capitol or someplace like that, or you go to one of the two universities who teach japanese.

10. Engel

Engel New Member

As most of those have pointed it; it isn't a required thing to learn a different language; but it can be viewed as fun and exciting. Of course for those that decide to go into more advanced careers I should say; should learn languages to advance in their careers further more, for less confusion when doing business with foreigners as most do, traveling around and whatnot.

I believe that if one does choose to learn a different language; determination and that true wantings is a must. Otherwise, time would be wasted away. :)

11. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Well, I am fluent in Chinese Mandarin, Swedish, English. Semi fluent in German and Japanese. For me, languages are great. I am willing to learn more languages, and the swedish schools offer you either french, german or spanish as the "third" language during the sixth grade. I should have chosen French -_-

- Teddz

12. Chance

Chance Admitted Pokemon Fan.

We had the option of 3-6 years of a language in my highschool, but the language choices were limited. Basically just french, spanish and Latin. I took latin for like 3 months, and french for about 3 years.

13. pardal

pardal Crimson Moon

I'm in a non-english speaking country but i'm learning it since i'm 5 years old... although i still do some it's one of my favorite languages. i woul like to learn japanese also but we don't have classes or anything similar here in portugal.... too bad! :( well i'll keep on trying to improve myself :D

14. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

Foreign languages - new site

At school (quite a few years ago) I did German and Italian and liked them.

I have just started to learn Spanish on a new website a friend told me about. My kids are actually starting to learn it as well. I am happy that they have this interest as I think it would be great for them to travel and speak the language of the country they go to if they decide to travel in the future. It's a lot easier for kids to learn then adults but this site is great because it starts with the basics. It is really new and will eventually have many more languages on it. You may want to check it out.

15. Darth Yogurth

Darth Yogurth New Member

Yeep.. is hard to learn a second languaje, and Isn't soo important. is better if you want to know and talk to others in their languages ^_^

I actually learn english beacuase my hobbies and it help a lot. but it was hard at first >.<

And do you guys have notice something, most of languages english, japanese, french, spanish and others have started to use some words or phrases in other languages ^_^

It kind of nice to know that ok most of us want to learn or have to learn english (is the most common language for business) BUT even so or then use some words like Amigo, Nani?, hola, Gomene... I forgot the french one.

Why because is kind of nice to ear a glisp of other language ^^

hehehe is like adding spices to the food, it make it taste better :)

NOTE: It just an opinion :p

16. Paranoid Trooper

Paranoid Trooper Reanimator

In Finland you have to learn to speak Swedish, because there are many Swedish people over here... My Swedish-lessons begin next year.... oh dear...

17. Kagome_Akari

Kagome_Akari New Member

i must learn japanese, cause i'm moving there! no really i am moving to Japan.
    i had to learn sign language to communicate with my best friend in the real world. i stink at reading in braille.

18. yakamashi

yakamashi New Member

maji?! you're really moving to japan?!! oooo. which part? my mom was planning on making me go to high school in aomori... and stay in a dorm. but the school's an all girls school... *sob*

blha. the only foreign language i know is japanese...