Free Boards at free.boards.jp

Discussion in 'News' started by Cloud, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Following on the demise of the Fan Clubs section, I thought it would be good to create a separate site where people can create their own boards without any worries of objections.

Therefore, we are now offering free boards to all!

These are separate from the main BJP site, so feel free to create whatever sections you want.

You can create a new forum section at:

http://free.boards.jp/new_forum.php

There is a directory available at:

http://free.boards.jp/directory.php

Enjoy! I'll be creating a new entry page (to show latest creations, etc.) in due course.

John.
    --

1 person likes this.
  2. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Re-reading the above, I guess I didn't make it totally clear - you can create your own boards area, that is a set of forums that you administer categories, forums, users etc.

3. Seishin

Seishin Guest

A quick question, before trying anything, are the users on BJP already registered on that Forum as well? (since the free boards are hosted by BJP.)

-Seishin

4. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

No Seishin, they aren't - reasons being (1) that they free forum areas are all unique and will have their own users and (2) the free system uses phpBB whereas the main site uses vBulletin.

Enjoy!

5. Sp1k3

Sp1k3 New Member

I took me awhile to understand but I understand it now, its a great idea.

Whats the access name?

6. Cloud

Cloud Administrator
    Staff Member

Access name is a phrase (without spaces) that identifies your forum, e.g.

http://free.boards.ie/?mforum=akirafanclub

The access name is that akirafanclub bit at the end...

I might look into mod_rewrite and see if I can drop the mforum ?bit... Would make nicer URLs.

J.
    --

7. Reisti Skalchaste

Reisti Skalchaste New Member

Not a bad idea at all, if I may say. So long as the server can handle it, why not, right?

Looking at it, it seems very... indeed, almost exactly the same as the free phpBB provider I was with for awhile, FreeBB.

Although it's down now, and has been for some time. Lucky me got a friend to donate a domain to me right before it. ^^ FTP access and full phpBB, even.

I imagine they would all be basic phpBB, with no MODs installed? And since there's quite obviously no ftp access, no ability to add mods? Would you be handling that on a request basis, or is just no mods, period?

And what about database back-ups? Would you be doing that yourself, or is that option available to each forum admin? With FreeBB it wasn't available, and you had to pay the administration to recieve a copy of it. Meant I had to leave everything behind when I moved off it. :(

I won't be signing up either way; it's just curiousity on my part. I've no need for free hosting myself, after all.

I'd be glad to register at the help boards and help with any questions or problems that get brought there, though, if you like. I've gotten quite comfortable with phpBB in the past few months.

EDIT: Fan Clubs section?

8. Nephilim_X

Nephilim_X New Member

Don't ask; it was just a bad idea to begin with and it's best never being spoken of again.

9. Teddz

Teddz Sexy Swedish Love ♥

Nice idea though, but I have no needs for an own board.

I have this, .cn.com and my campus one :)

- Teddz

10. Bloodberry

Bloodberry Bloody Berry
    Staff Member

hehe and some of us just install via our own domain. but phpBB is pretty fun to mess around with and rather easy to use.