Computers G-Force

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Project191, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

If i want to make my computer faster so i can play games faster is there anything i can buy or download it whatever is?

is the video card or sound card good for games?

I heard about G-Force 4.0 is it good?

2. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

ho boy. I knew we'd get this question here eventually.

First off, very few things that you can download are going to have a marked positive effect on your computer's speed. If you really want to improve your computer's speed without putting in a hardware update, look through this forum for some of the threads on software tweaking. I'm pretty sure there's a few.

Now, with software downloads removed as a possibility, you're looking at upgrading hardware. There are 4 main areas of hardware you want to look at when you're doing an upgrade:

1) Your CPU. The processor speed in your computer has to be able to keep up with your operating system, a couple background programs, and your games. For modern gaming, I wouldn't recommend anything les than an Athlon XP 2100+, or an Intel Pentium 4 2.2ghz processor. Depending on what motherboard is in your computer, you may need to replace the motherboard to support your new cpu.

2) Your RAM. You want to have, at the least, 256 megs of ram. If you can get more, you want it. It is easily the most cost-effective upgrade you can make to a system.

3) Your Video Card. A game's no good if it doesn't look good, right? A modern video card goes a long way towards making everything run smoothly. I'd recommend the GeForce FX 5400, as it's not TOO expensive, and is a very decent card. However, anything from a GeForce4 up, or a Radeon 9000+ (if you're one of those wierd ATI people) will do.

4) Your Hard Disk. Eventually, cramming games onto your computer will fill your drive. Buying a larger drive forstalls this. Beware, however, the bargain-bin drive. Usually these drives are the 5400rpm speed drives, and take forever and a day to spin up. You want a 7200rpm drive, minimum, and it's preferable to get a 10k drive, if you can afford one.

So, there's the most common upgrades. You can also look into upgrading your motherboard, sound card, etc., but those will give you less performance for your money and time than the four I mentioned.

I might write some more later, if I'm feeling ambitious.

- Ark

3. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

From what you said you don't seem to have a clue on what your computer is capable of. If what Ark has already said makes no sense to you, then really you should look for an expert or someone you know to actually come and knock on your door then examine your computer and upgrade it from there.

It would also be useful in telling us what games you play and also what your current system specifications are. To do this follow my instructions:

- Go to your desktop
    - Then right-click 'My computer'
    - Scroll down to 'properties' and left click

Now, a new window should pop up saying system properties, click on 'general' at the top of that window (it should automatically be on that when it first appears) read out all the relevent information such as 'RAM', 'Mhz' (or Ghz), Windows ??? (98, Xp, Me or whatever), AMD or pentium ??? (I,II,III etc). Basically read out everything you see on that window.

Now we would like you to tell us what graphics card you're running on, to do this...

- On the SAME window you should see at the top sub-heading words like 'computer name, general, hardware, advanced etc'. Left click 'hardware'
    - Now left click 'device manager'
    - You should now see a list of hardwares which are currently installed on your computer. Find the one which says 'Display adapter' and click the little '+' to the left of it.
    - There should now be a cub-list leading from the original. Read out what it says

Lastly we would like to know how much space you have, to do this...

- Close the window, double left click 'My computer'.
    - Now depending on what OS you're running on things might be a little different. If you're running 95/98, left click 'drive C:' and read out your free and used space. If your running XP and 2000 then it should automatically say how much you used and how much there were intially on the first window. Just read out the numbers with a 'GB' (or MB, given that you used up a lot of space) written after it.

Telling us this we can determine what you need and what needs to be upgraded. But what Ark has already said is coherent so his advice is worth listening to.

^Shen^

4. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

The games that i'm going to play it is too much red alert and counter strike and genreal a cpu with alot of games.
    and i'm using windows ME and pintuim 4,(.4GHZ).
    and i think 450MHZ , 224.0MB RAM

i don't think that i have a graphic card?

8.65 G.B free space.

all this u want?

when i entered system properties---->device Manger---->View devices by connection----->I chossed motherboard--->properties---->Driver and there is a update for it should i update it?it isn't only the motherboard there is too much things i can update it?

5. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Hmmmm, I ain't an expert with these hardware things, better wait for Ark or someone who can advise you with the update on the motherboard. But given that it is an update I don't see why not (DON'T TAKE MY WORD YET!), afterall updates are suppose to improve what one's got.

As for the games you play C&C red alert is an old game therefore it doesn't require a graphics card. But by the looks of your specs it isn't up for any games that are out at the moment. Well Ark information above is good, you should have another look, as for prices you should ask someone else. However graphics card is necessary nowadays so even if you upgrade everything else and have no card you won't get anywhere. Nvidia GeForce and Radeon ATi brands are worth buying. Though you are looking at spending around $300-400 for a decent one.

6. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Ok, based on those system specs, you're better off just buying a new computer.. $500 should be able to get you a decent system with no monitor/keyboard/mouse.

- Ark

7. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

So i'm going to buy Geforce 4.0 or up.

and what's about the updates that i tell about.

I'm already bought a new cpu so the old one that i'm using it for games , movies ,song and etc.

8. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

LMAO using the old PC for games...

Ark.. I've never heard of a such FX5400 0_o... LOL

ok, proyect191

what Ark is saying is... you need sometime relatively powerful for games... they need a lot of CPU power, but not everything is dependant on CPU power, you also need a good video card to do good gaming.

Entry level
    Geforce 5200U/Ti4200 or Radeon 9000PRO

Mid
    Geforce 5600/U/Ti4600 or Radeon 9500pro/9600pro

High End
    Geforce 5800/5900/U or Radeon 9700pro/9800/9800PRO

CPUs
    Entry level
    AMD athlonXP 2000+ or P4 2.2Ghz and up

mid
    AMD 2500+ or P4 2.6Ghz or 2.4CGhz

High end
    AMD AthlonXP 3200+/Athlon64 3200+ or P4 3.06Ghz/3.2Ghz

RAM

The more the merrier minimum is 256MB for gaming, 1GBs is the absulete maximum for TODAY's games

Motherboards
    entry/mid/HIGH

AMD = SiS735/nFORCE2 400/nFORCE2 Ultra (ASUS A7NF8X)
    Intel = i875 or a PAT enabled i865 (ASUS P4P800 deluxe)

hope this list helps you...

if you don't know the config of your new system

start > run >type in "DXDIAG" no hyphens

9. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

I did 2-3-4 and still have problems playing some games. I bought 128 more RAM, a Radeon 7500 Video Card, a 60 GBs hard drive. How much does a motherboard cost?

10. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

I got a new motherboard for around £150-£200, that's around $220-$300

11. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

i'v went to it and i read the system information then i read the processor theirs some words and with it it's say 1693MHz.
    is that good?
    and what is better GeForce or TI or Radeon?

12. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

with your system...

anything above a GeforceFX5200U or Geforce4Ti4200 or Radeon9500pro you won't notice any speed up
    unless you crave AA and AF

13. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

ok i got my final answer i'm going to buy ram upgrade 512 and ATI radeon 64 or up is that good?

What radeon u prfer?

is their a way that i can see how much rpm i'm using?

if the rpm isn't powerful i'm going to rpm 7200.

14. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

proyect191... i've noticed how you don't know almost nothing about PCs hardware...

what rpms have to do here o_O?

ATI radeon 64 is absolite,old,pasado,viejo,byebye,onda vieja, old news...

Intel system that I bet you have...

I don't like to much ATI, but if ati is you want 9000PRO will fit your gaming need for the PC you have, unless that 1693Mhz from your system is a AthlonXP... then go for the 9600PRO

15. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

DAMN 0_o... are you rich or something??
    did you buy a dual CPU server motherboard?

even the most expensive mobos i've seen don't go higher than 150$ even with S&H...

Death Society....

CHANGE THAT CRAPPY 7500!!!!!!! that was the bad of the baddest Radeon. GF5200U/Radeon9000PRO will fit your needs...

gaming mobos are expensive...
    AMD = recommend a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 124$ in newegg.com
    intel = recommend a ASUS P4P800 Deluxe 133$

both motherboard are over the top creme of the crop... Abit and MSI, make good mobos. try don't getting anything else, if it is for GAMING

And last tip of all, upgrade and reformat hard drives for WinXP
    home or Pro, both do the same... only if you get a HT P4 system you NEED it.
    Windows ME is bad, it's as stable as San Andreas fault.
    Win98SE WAS and IS the best of the Win9Xs, but not perfect anyway

16. Ark

Ark Praise Judas!

Hmm, lots of good stuff popping up in this thread. Let's start with this:

I meant the 5200. I must've been tired when I proofread that.

As Saber mentioned, that Radeon 7500, sucks. Trade it or sell it or whatever, rid yourself of that monstrousity, and pick up a Radeon 9000+, or a GeForce4 or FX.

Plenty of high-end motherboards can get up into the $400 range, actually. Tack on trans-atlantic shipping, and you're looking at up to $450. If you want to take a look at the kind of motherboard that costs that much, check this link.

Ok. First, you can't tell what speed the hard drive is without knowing the model number for it, which is a hassle to figure out. So don't worry about it. Second, you should look at getting at LEAST a Radeon 9000. The GeForce4 line is equivalent to that, if you'd prefer an Nvidia card. The ram upgrade is a good idea, you'll notice a big difference in performance.

That's all I've got for now.

- Ark

17. Sebastien

Sebastien Guest

><;;;

I bought that video card I think in July.. I don't know if my parents would let me buy another one.. I'll see what I can do.

- DS

18. Shen

Shen Indefinately away

Lol, I'll give you the exact details of this motherboard I have... It's an ASUS A7V8X with DDR 400, AGP8X, 333MHz FSB support, wireless compatible and it costs around £150 in most places (about $225) but I got mine for £100 (around $150).

19. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Moderator
    Staff Member

Ark, that's the mobo I meant for the 400$... LOL i saw it on tomshardware.com

I hope that is the price of it when it was new... I found that same mobo in newegg.com for 82$... only thing is that newegg doesn't ship overseas... only overseas is PR ^______^ lucky me. and Hawaii

disconnect the fan of the Video card IF IT HAS, *snickers*, and overclock like crazy. OR.... take a screw driver take a good wack of the video card in the back.. hopefully a small transistor/resistor will break and render the card useless and blame it on a Power failure OR sell it on eBAY and you MAY get enough money to buy a 5200 resist to buy cheap 64bits ones.

20. Project191

Project191 Black Wind

from www.download.com i can update my radeon or geforce should i update it?

and who is the best (radeon9600pro or GeForce5200)?

i don't care about which model are they i just want to know who is the best?